Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant (IVF) Worriers

(1000 Posts)
Dildals Sun 31-Mar-13 16:46:22

Hi everyone,

This thread is for all you incessant worriers out there, not necessarily limited to IVF-ers, although I get the feeling the people who have had trouble TTC are more prone to worrying than others!

A few of us graduated from the IVF thread (link below) and are having a go at our own thread to get out of the other IVF-ers hair! So get your roomy jogging bottoms on for some virtual hand holding, mutual symptom spotting and staying sane until the next scan date.

ExpatAl Fri 19-Apr-13 11:13:26

Shazza, Harmony and scan today! Good luck!

MrsHY1 Fri 19-Apr-13 12:42:37

Expat, bless you but stop mentalling. Ask for a prog check if you feel it would reassure you but despite being on the industrial grade progesterone fanny candles I've never had constipation. If anything, I've tended towards 'looseness' in that dept. x

keepitgoing Fri 19-Apr-13 12:54:38

No, I've not either. Just very farty...

Mrs how long are you on the prog?

ExpatAl Fri 19-Apr-13 13:43:45

Oh the farting Keep. It's not pretty.
The other day I walked past a whole group of guys outside a restaurant farting with every step I took. Longest walk of my life! Every time I turn over in bed I burp and it feels so good.

expat does the baby need to absorb progesterone? I thought it was just there to maintain the lining of the uterus.

Hello ladies

Oh expat I love the farting past the restaurant story. Hilarious! I'm also so farty. The other day I popped one out at home thinking that mr S was in the other room and it was so loud he heard it downstairs!

I'm sorry you are worrying about prog. If it is bothering you I would ask but its probably fine. I think you have been lucky in the constipation stakes.

Well done Fairy no more fanny candles. It's amazing how quickly you will forget them wink

Lovely scan this morning at FMC oh my goodness the room was 3 times the size of the ACU one. The dr asked if my dad wanted to come in as well and so he got to see shazlett as well. He has never seen a scan so it was good. Shazlett is fine but a day behind what we thought so I'm 10 weeks tomorrow. This means they couldn't do harmony and I have to go back next week (at no extra cost). It was lovely to see her again. She has hands and little feet and was waving them around. AND we heard her heart beat. AND saw the 2 lobes of her brain. Amazing. worth every penny.

I hope you are all ok. Have a lovely eve.

Shaz xx

ExpatAl Fri 19-Apr-13 18:16:42

Fairy, I meant that apparently digestion slows down so more nutrients can be absorbed. But if mine hasn't slowed down how can the baby absorb anything?

Shazza, lovely lovely news and woohoo you get to do it all again next week!!

It's a lovely sunny evening here so we're off out to make the most of it. Hope you're all doing okay.

MrsHY1 Fri 19-Apr-13 20:20:00

Loving the burpy fartiness! I'm not too farty at the moment but give me time...
Shaz your scan sounds incredible and how lovely your Dad could be there! For a very expensive clinic mine doesn't have the best scanner so not sure quite how much I'll see in 2.5 weeks (yep, have booked a ten-weeker).
Keep- I've been told to stay on the fanny candles until 12 wks. Also injecting clexane every day so have a delightful array of bruises on both thighs and my rapidly expanding (because of FAT, not baby!) belly. Also having my second IVIG on Tues, so get hooked up to a drip for 3 hours. But it is all SO worth it if I stay upduffed.
Have good weekends everyone xxx

Gosh MrsH that sounds like quite a regime. What is ifvg? I know what you mean about it all being worth it. It will pale into insignificance once you have your little one in your arms.

Thanks expat it was very exciting. Mr shaz just got home and the first thing he said before he'd even taken his coat off was can I see the pictures? It was very sweet. And he bought me a necklace today. Just to say well done for getting to 10 weeks grin

All is well in our house tonight!

Have a lovely evening all. Xx

Sorry i meant IVIG?

Expat - I think the baby will find a way to get what it needs even if your progesterone levels are low and intestinal transit time is normal. After all, if you complain to a midwife or dr that you are constipated while pregnant they advise you how to treat it, not to just suffer because otherwise the baby won't thrive. But if you are worried then I would say ask for a test because even if they say no, don't worry that might help to reassure you.

Shazza - so pleased your scan was such a happy event.

MrsHY1 Fri 19-Apr-13 22:59:37

Bless Mr Shazza! I need to tell DH to pull his finger out- no gifts here yet grin

IVIG is intravenous immunoglobulin. Essentially a drip comprised of blood matter from as many as 1,000 donors. I'm having it because a test showed I had a very high level of natural killer cells in my bloodstream, which some doctors feel can prohibit embryos from implanting. It's all a bit 'woo' , isnt even licensed for fertility treatment (although it is a licensed drug) and lots of very good fertility doctors challenge the evidence, but I was prepared to give anything a shot quite frankly.
Don't know if it was the ET technique, the Clexane, the IVIG, the hysteroscopy I had in Jan or just plain old luck- all I know is that this embryo has taken as opposed to the four implanted previously when I wasn't on treatment. And this one, bless it, was graded the poorest of all. But it's my superstar now grin

Dildals Sat 20-Apr-13 00:02:13

Intestinal transit time ... That made me laugh although I know it wasn't meant to be funny. I am going to use that in a sentence with DH one day!

Good work on te scan Shazza!

Argh so much to catch up on - forgive me for missing stuff.

Expat, that is top mentalling that even I couldn't come up with! I get diahrrea in early pregnancy and awful instillation later on. I'm sure both are normal. The baby always takes what it needs and even if you eat nothing for a few days because you've hot a bug the baby still takes what it needs. That's why our teeth go bad and we feel lousy! Get your prog checked if it will make you feel better but I assure you the baby will be getting what it needs regardless of your gut transit.

Shazza, great scan experiences. Hope the Harmony test can be done ASAP. Glad you had a nice break and lucky you getting a necklace. I think I should pester for some jewels! Unlikely now we're on maternity leave pay.

Good heartbeat news and fascinating science stuff MrsH.

I'm now worrying about the baby all the time. It's never ending this anxiety!

Instillation? Constipation more like...

Mariana I think you can be forgiven missing a few days. You've got your hands full! How is your little darling? And how are you coping?

Gosh MrsH that sounds revolutionary. I understand the feeling of not being sure why this time worked and therefore not wanting to change anything that you have been doing to help keep the baby inside. I had a couple of this that I did differently the month I got pg after over 2 yrs of trying, not least a very extreme diet. Now I'm scared to reintroduce foods. Good luck with the treatment. And I understand booking a 10 wk scan. It is reassuring to see the bubba.

Hello to everyone else. Hope you are all ok.

What a lovely day today. Im going to go out and about with my family.

Have a good day xx

Tanlee Sat 20-Apr-13 17:00:45

got our harmony test results - all clear/lowest risk possible for Downs, Edwards and Pataus. Finally feel now that I can start relaxing and enjoying it all (even the nausea, farting, burping, anaemia and exhaustion!!! ha! ha!) - it's only taken 22 weeks!!! Looking forwards to the next 18! I'm sure I'll find something else to worry about (prob the c-section!), but for now, the sun is shining and I'm going to relax and enjoy myself for a bit!

Have a good weekend everyone!

Coping reasonably well Shazza. I thought I'd be insanely anxious but I'm only normally anxious! I think it's normal to think that if you put your newborn down it will immediately stop breathing, choke etc. However, I think there's a relaxing effect of the baby feeding and sleeping on you. My mum is here this weekend and has done all the housework and ironing.

Tanlee that's great news. I hope you can relax a little now. Don't worry about the section. I was terrified before mine but it was ok. Some bits were a little scary but that was probably just me.

Great news Tanlee. Phew! I hope you had a good day.

Lovely Mariana. I can't imagine what it is like to have a new born and I understand your worries. I'm sure you are doing fine. And thank goodness for mums!

ExpatAl Mon 22-Apr-13 10:30:58

Morning ladies. Did you all have good weekends?
Thanks so much for telling me in the nicest possible way that yes, I am nuts.
Mariana, seems like pretty natural worries. Feeding and sleeping on you sounds just gorgeous.

Tanlee, Great news!

Dildals Mon 22-Apr-13 14:40:42

Afternoon all.

I went to Barcelona for the weekend, on a hen weekend. I had the best excuse to go home to the hotel after dinner. Still made it out till 12-1, lots of walking during the day, and now I am tired and pink!

I did notice that I have definitely slowed down! Bit scary. I can't walk as fast anymore, it hurts my pelvis! Flipflop-type footwear not helping of course.

I have a new worry to add to the list. Last night, after I had come back, DH casually mentioned that my bump looked smaller and I had actually noticed the same thing. Now I do know that bumps change shape etc, but mainly during the day. It had started to firm up but now it looks smaller and not so firm. Should I be worried? Or is this normal?

keepitgoing Mon 22-Apr-13 15:30:25

Isn't it still early for a bump at all? Could you be losing ivf blubber and it turning into babies? I don't know. When do you have another scan/appt?

ExpatAl Mon 22-Apr-13 16:03:24

Totally normal Dildals. You have all kinds of bloating after IVF and when that all calms down you look much more normal and yes, bump can be soft. But your bump is going to start growing really quickly from now on with two in there!

Dildals Mon 22-Apr-13 18:29:46

I lost the IVF bloat pretty quickly and from week 10 onwards something started bulging out that definitely wasn't a big poo or lunch. I know it is early, but remember it is twins, so it will start earlier. At first it wasn't firm yet, but it had started to firm up recently. Will see, maybe it was water retention from Barcelona that has now gone, who knows, will monitor the situation!

This thread is not accepting new messages.