Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Wind!!!! Please help!!!

(18 Posts)
squizita Mon 01-Apr-13 13:45:36

I am at 5 weeks and windy. Deflucan works quite well and is safe in pregnancy.

PurplePoppySeed Mon 01-Apr-13 13:33:00

I was the same. At my 8 week scan, the sonographer showed me how it was showing up "cloudy" on the scan - very embarrassing as I was having a good day!

Couple of things that made a massive difference for me - I've started drinking actimel every couple of days, helped with wind and constipation. Plus when really bad, DH gave me lower back massage, which helped it along - wasn't planned, but was the perfect cure blush. I've also read that if you lie on your left, it helps it out.

Abby - I agree better out than in, my DH just thinks its funny that I can finally compete with him! You DH doesn't realise the pain it can bring, next time he tells you off, remind him you have limited room for digestion now!

glossyflower Mon 01-Apr-13 05:10:27

Rub some oil on your abdomen in a clockwise motion when you are in bed. Sometimes this just helps move things along.

abby81 Sun 31-Mar-13 14:13:53

I am 20 weeks and have non stop wind from both ends. Sooooo embarassing and dh has told me off a few times but seriously it is much better out than in right!? Well for me anyway! My morning sickness was always down to gas and now if I dont eat every 2 hours I will have a wretching session with a few lovely belches at the end. So eat often, I too avoid citrus fruits and cabbage ha ha. Leaning or lying on or toward your left side can release some gas too. I find it funny now and thinking that as the baby's hearing is developing, it may well be comforted by my fart noises on arrival because thats pretty much 90% of the noise my body's making now. Classic

RJM17 Sun 31-Mar-13 11:54:28

Thanks for all the advice will be giving them all a try cos this is driving me crazy!!
There is nothing more dignified than pregnancy is there? Lol x

AThingInYourLife Sun 31-Mar-13 11:02:19

A few drops of peppermint oil in hot water was miraculous when I had post-CS trapped wind.

It's very powerful.

Also, check it's OK to use when pregnant.

Congratulations!

Welcome to a good year of biological humiliations grin

Tinkerbell43 Sun 31-Mar-13 10:58:08

Sounds silly and if does say on the bottle for babies up to a year but gripe water honestly works - on adults too, my midwife suggested I give it a go after all its what its used to to relieve colic and wind in babies.. I find that with a Rennie works for me

Saundy Sun 31-Mar-13 10:48:09

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/1702691-Miracle-Cure-Wanted-for-Trapped-Wind-Hell

I got some good suggestions here - though mine did turn out to be a cyst in the end. For the times it was wind I found Rennies to be the best.

Good luck!

HavingALittleFaithBaby Sun 31-Mar-13 08:52:51

I agree with the principles of getting moving. I also cannot reccomend highly enough taking a daily probiotic. This makes a huge difference to me!

Kelly1814 Sun 31-Mar-13 07:52:22

Someone on mn recommended getting on all fours on sofa or bed, then lowering forearms onto the floor ( put a cup cushion down). This might sound ridiculous and you look a sight with your bum in the air, but let me tell you, it works miracles!! You can feel your tummy moving and then you get relief!

tootssweet Sun 31-Mar-13 07:35:44

Said it on a similar thread a few weeks age - bicarbonate of soda. Dissolve a teaspoon into some warm water & drink. Gets rid of trapped wind a treat!
Also second peppermint tea for dodgy tummy or Morrisons do a good lemon & ginger one.

plannedshock Sun 31-Mar-13 07:27:39

Apparently schwepps (?) peppermint cordial is good £1.99 tescos. I've bought some for post elcs a few people mentioned it on here before! Good luck!

TotallyBursar Sun 31-Mar-13 03:34:25

It's yuck isn't it?

Ginger is good for nausea & digestion - I found 2 ginger biscuits when I woke up helped settle things. The more settled my sickness & more controlled my reflux/indigestion the less trapped wind.
I had to cut out caffeine - decaff coffees or hot choc instead - cut down on too much dairy - so if I had a hot chocolate then I wouldn't have a bowl of cereal & lots of milky drinks- I ate little and often.
I had to eat before I got too hungry - so my biscuits, small breakfast like a small porridge or banana & a slice of toast, midmorning snack usually oat & fruit based, small lunch including some protein, mid afternoon snack, dinner - usually couldn't cope with very spicy food, chronic indigestion, or a lot of carbs (I love carbs sadly!) and I was also careful with too much leafy veg in one go...there was one cabbage incident I don't wish to repeat. I rabidly avoid celery- it's the windmaker.
After dinner & depending on when I went to bed I would have another one or two light snacks, not too heavy on the citrus fruits. I also find peppermint tea very helpful and would drink that alongside/after meals.
There's a herbal tea co that do digestive preparations that were really effective for wind (pg brain means the name escapes me) but always go back to peppermint tea.
If you are getting indigestion & reflux then sleeping propped up slightly has helped. And anyone that may oblige with a back rub - sat over a chair or propped with pillows so your head is still higher than your bottom - can be quite effective. DH still finds it amusing that his main objective when I'm pg is wind management - in fact with no 2 he winded & settled the baby & came through to, essentially, wind & settle me. Considering the pita I am to sleep with when suffering badly this is definitely a time investment he recommends.
Gentle warmth on the hurty bit for wind - doesn't fix it but does help soothe the ache - but no heat for reflux, that felt worse.
Oh and any meds from the doctor if you find it chronic & unbearable - you need sleep.
If you find ginger or peppermint help then keep some by your bed for night waking. You can also try nettle tea but I nearly swallowed my own face. I stopped using artificial sweeteners too as they make me acidy.
Ugh that sounds v about me, it's not - just all the things I can remember & why, because it really is miserable.
After that novel I bet you've tried all of it! It's funny, I never heard the Hello! article on Angelina Jolie 'the day I thought I farted out my eyeballs & omg the piles'.

HermioneE Sun 31-Mar-13 03:08:25

Get walking. Stairs are great if you have any. Warn your partner, open a window and fart as much as you can!

keepitgoing Sun 31-Mar-13 02:35:07

I am 5 weeks and the same... Try eating smaller more frequent meals. Or just lie on your stomach to release it. I think it should ease off, then return in third tri.

josine32 Sun 31-Mar-13 00:38:09

Hi there, oh dear! How embarrassingsad Having said that, I've got urinary incontinence so literally am on the loo every 5 minutes. Am very lucky that here it is much better understood than at home in the Netherlands because there no one has a bloody clue! X

Jojobump1986 Sun 31-Mar-13 00:23:05

I'm 30 weeks & having the same problem. I've been woken up in the night twice in the last 2 weeks with the pain. It seems to come on when I've had an unusually busy day so I'll be trying to take it easy for a while! Rennies & sipping water helped a bit.

Hope it gets better for you soon!

RJM17 Sun 31-Mar-13 00:08:35

Hi
I am now 7 weeks pregnant and seem to haven't e trapped wind inside me than a hot air balloon!!
I have never suffered with this before so assuming it is to do with the pregnancy! Has anyone else had this and if so what did u do to control it? Because the pain in excruciating!! And I just wanna curl into a ball and cry at the minute. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now