Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

worried about pre-eclampsia pregnancy NHS treatment

(59 Posts)
reaktor24 Sat 30-Mar-13 10:53:29

Hi. My gf and I are currently in hospital maternity ward. She has a number of ailments. She has pre-eclampsia with protein and high bp. She has a dodgy kidney which is hurting her due to the pre-eclampsia. She is also diabetic which occurred during the pregnancy. On top of all that she has a cold. We were told on our last scan at 36 weeks that she was high risk and the situation was/is an emergency. That was last Tuesday and she has been in hospital since Wednesday. She has been given an insertion twice to induce the baby as well as membrane sweep which she said she didn't want. She wants a cesarean but is told no. What can we do?? She doesn't want ARM either due to the risks involved. The staff are not being helpful and are giving us no choice about the treatments. You will have this for so many days and then we will break your waters. This is bloody ridiculous so what are our rights? Can we demand a cesarian?

Heathbaby Mon 01-Apr-13 10:08:27

Congratulations!!! grin

Ooh yay! Does he have a name yet? Sniff his head, that baby smell is wonderful!

gallicgirl Mon 01-Apr-13 10:17:24

Congratulations. Here's to a fabulous life.

[Thanks]

DolomitesDonkey Mon 01-Apr-13 10:48:21

Congratulations!grin I'm absolutely thrilled to hear mother and baby are doing well.

Congratulations. Glad all is well now but what a marathon for you both.

CadleCrap Tue 02-Apr-13 08:18:39

Congratulations - a happy ending thanks

differentnameforthis Tue 02-Apr-13 08:44:01

Read with bated breath! And also wondering "you aren't at Watford General, are you" Cos they were crap with me too. sad

SO pleased that all is well. Many babies are born at 36/37 weeks & go on to thrive (just like my 9yr old).

Great score on the test (Apgar, by the way)

Really happy for you both. Congratulations.

midori1999 Tue 02-Apr-13 09:30:03

Congratulations!

It's pretty normal procedure to go for a c section if a third pessary at induction does nothing and they can't progress further by ARM. What a shame no one explained this properly to you and your partner and caused so much distress. [Sad] Definitely complain to PALS if you feel up to it.

DolomitesDonkey Tue 02-Apr-13 09:43:08

Are you planning to complain OP? I think the biggest question which needs to be answered is why, when a medical emergency (PE) dictated a need for induction at only 36 weeks - was the decision for section only taken at 3-4 days. Emergency = emergency, not fannying around for 4 days until her kidneys pack in!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now