Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

"personal maintenance" - sorry in advance if TMI!

(38 Posts)
Tinkerbell43 Wed 27-Mar-13 16:48:12

Ok ladies, I can't be the only one with this problem..
At 40 weeks its a little bit of a chore keeping things "neat" down below, not being able to see past the bump and from fear of doing serious damage with a razor blade and a blind shave, it's become slightly neglected to say the least haha!!
Does anyone have any tips on how to keep up the maintenance (that doesn't include waxing!! I'm a wuss!) hahaa

I wouldn't do it....simply because along with the bruising and any tears etc, I can't bear the thought of that area being itchy.

fatandlumpy Fri 29-Mar-13 07:57:35

The OH was moaning the other week so I got some Veet for him to have a go. So far he's come up with many excuses (such as grouting, the garden and general house decluttering and clearance) as to avoid the 'job'.

I'm perfectly comfortable with having a 70's foo like a badger's armpit (... sorry!) as the house and garden are looking fab :D

scaredbutexcited Mon 01-Apr-13 21:26:46

I'm 38 weeks and planning to try again at the weekend with some veet wax strips.

I did the "ready to use" ones about 3 weeks ago and didn't find them that bad.

I figure doing it about a week before the day means everything will still be tidyish and won't have to worry for a few weeks after.

Did myself with a combination of memory and a mirror - very glamourous!

scaredbutexcited Mon 01-Apr-13 21:27:59

Oh - if you hold the skin tight as you pull them off it is a lot less painfull. If you don't do this it hurts/bruises.

Flisspaps Mon 01-Apr-13 21:28:06

fatandlumpy I do hope the Veet is for his bollocks.

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Mon 01-Apr-13 21:31:52

I have never shaved there! I do keep.it trimmed ie cut the hair short with clippers or just nail scissors and when preg dp did it for me, actually he generally does it for me but he first started doing it for me when i was preg with ds1.
Trimmed and short/neat i found better for afterwards ie not too much hair to grt matted with post partum bleeding but yhe thought of shaving or hair removal cream...yikes.

Lj8893 Mon 01-Apr-13 22:03:44

I'm only about 10 weeks and I've given up with it already!! Told my partner that soon enough I'm gonna have a bump and will be impossible to do so there's no point doing it now, he just laughed and agreed.

fatandlumpy Tue 02-Apr-13 06:12:07

Fliss - Hahahahaha! THAT would be hilarious! The tube was for me... and still remains unused as I'm refusing to do anything without a little assistance.

(Well... if he's going to moan... I'm perfectly happy the way I am... or at least I can't really be bothered to be 'unhappy' about it).

EcoHippyMum Tue 02-Apr-13 09:30:53

If you use veet make sure it's only going on the bikini line! My ex slapped it on his danglies and got a lovelie chemical burn lmao!

I do shave but have been for years, not sure if I will give up one at a certain point and go all out 70's bush style or if DH will become my 'barber' :D

sheeplikessleep Tue 02-Apr-13 09:40:05

Last two times I've just tried to trim a bit with nail scissors.
I think this will be 'cleaner' for the first few days after the birth with lochia. But just personal preference.
Wouldn't wax or shave that close to birth, because of risk of infection / irritation.

AmberLav Tue 02-Apr-13 14:05:38

In my last pregnancy, I went for a extended bikini wax at about 37 or 38 weeks, and then had a 3rd degree tear at 40+6. I was grateful that I had done the waxing, as all the bleeding and tenderness etc was yucky enough as it was without messy hair and clots!(I'm normally against extended bikinis after having a painful ingrown folicle a few years back). I was very glad I'd done it.

This time I waxed at 32 weeks (weekly swimming classes with DC1) and was planning to go again about now (38 weeks) but I just haven't had much regrowth, so think it will be a waste of time.

It's after the birth you need to worry about! If you have stitches you won't be able to touch let alone tidy down there for weeks. Lowering your expectations a bit before hand might help with getting your head round the idea that it's going to be one big mess down there for a while.

weeblueberry Tue 02-Apr-13 14:17:57

I'm certainly not planning to whip it all off but have tidied up the sides with a razor and am using my really bloody expensive Lady Gilette thing to keep the main bit from becoming forest like. I'm genuinely not doing it for vanity reasons though but, as sheep mentioned to do with making it easier with the lochia afterwards?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now