Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Do you actually enjoy being pregnant?

(111 Posts)
BadLad Wed 27-Mar-13 11:04:15

This question has been on my mind after reading the "Am I being unreasonable to want to be paid for being a surrogate mother" thread. In that thread the original poster said

I want to do it because I love being pregnant, and I love that i am able to help people who are not able to have a baby the traditional way.

The first part of that astounded me. I had always assumed that pregnancy actually felt like a chore, and was tiring and generally made life difficult.

Does it not? Is it actually an enjoyable experience?

We don't have any children, so I can't ask DW.

Fishandjam Sat 30-Mar-13 22:44:51

I am rubbish at being pregnant (2 full term). Sick, utterly and debilitatingly exhausted, heartburn, backache, and then I get cholestasis/liver failure right at the end. Oddly, I don't mind the birth bit at all (induced both times - mobile epidurals totally rock, by the way). And - though it will out me as a needy Munchausen-ish bint - I quite liked all the attention from various medics. (Yes, I know.... pathetic.)

I'd quite like DC3 and if someone were to say to me "ok, tomorrow you'll be 37 weeks and going for induced labour" I'd say no worries, bring it on. But I absolutely cannot face the 8.5 months of misery beforehand.

Octopus37 Wed 03-Apr-13 20:32:11

Yes and no. Enjoyed first pregnancy because:
1) Was just so grateful, had had an early miscarriage before that.
2) Felt as if I was part of a special club.
3) Felt pampered and special, was allowed to be tired and hungry.
4) Everything was new and exciting
5) Loved feeling DS kick and didn't mind people commenting on my bump.
Second time, was grateful to be pregnant again, but:
1) Found it so much harder with a toddler, hard to rest etc
2) Hated the fact that it slowed me down as had got quite fit after first baby, this meant that I put on a bit more weight but did loose it.
3) Awful piles and sciatica at the end.
4) Went 12 days overdue which was awful. Was scared of labour cause of first time and one midwife told me that she thought I had stopped myself going into labour.
5) Worried about hwo I was going to balance a toddler, a newborn, picking up my work again, keeping on top of the house etc with no real family support and no sleep.
No way on earth I could do it again, but very much admire women who have large families or/and have babies for other people.

Chocaholics Wed 03-Apr-13 20:51:23

Loved feeling the baby kicking and moving and thought seeing the skin on my tummy move from the outside was amazing.

But I hated feeling huge, how during the final couple of months everything was a big effort to even move, not being able to put my own shoes on, get off the sofa etc drive me mad. Plus hated needing the toilet every 5 minutes! Felt like a fat, sweaty whale.

atrcts Wed 03-Apr-13 21:16:14

I hated the first 16 weeks as I felt so so sick, morning, noon and night.
Once that was over and I began to get a bit more energy, I have really enjoyed it.

It's a bit like being a kid at Christmas - you like the build up but hate waiting at the same time!!!

I wouldn't be a surrogate though.

Norfolknway Wed 03-Apr-13 22:19:13

I'm about 9 weeks with dc2 and I'm
Not loving it.

I 'bloomed' with DD1 but not until 15 weeks or so!

I've got a few weeks of that early pregnancy greyness yet!

MrsLHofstadter Wed 03-Apr-13 22:35:23

Had a few problems and it could have come at a much better time but I bloody loved it!

Being a patent on the hand blush I'm indifferent to.

I would be a surrogate over having another of my own, if only I wasn't appalling at giving birth.

MrsLHofstadter Wed 03-Apr-13 22:36:48

*parent

<heads off to find auto correct thread>

ChompieMum Wed 03-Apr-13 23:05:21

Love it! The first few weeks are a bit grotty but after the sickness passes I love it. Probably sounds stupid but growing a new life is so exciting and wonderful generally!

bingeddybongo Thu 04-Apr-13 06:43:34

I'm only 14 and a half weeks on my first pregnancy but I've hated every bloody second so far. Everyone keeps telling me the sickness is about to stop... except they keep moving the goalposts - first it was going to be gone by 12 weeks, then 14, then 15 and someone yesterday said five bloody months! It's going to take some serious persuading to get me to ever do this again, I can tell you ;)

Purplecatti Thu 04-Apr-13 19:12:55

I hated being pregnant so bloody much. I had to be taken to theatre after tearing very badly and the midwife cracked up as I shouted yipeeeee I'm not pregnant anymore at full volume as I hovered in the wheelchair being taken down

CheshireDing Thu 04-Apr-13 20:08:08

I didn't hate it the first time and am looking forward to our baby No2 later this year. I never thought it a chore, did feel like it took a long time though!

What I DID hate was trying to find nice clothes to fit and not being able to sleep due to the weight of the baby and trying to lie on my left side and having restless leg grin

It was worth it though smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now