Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Found out today it's a girl...

(36 Posts)
Muggle1978 Tue 26-Mar-13 20:36:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KeriRussell Thu 28-Mar-13 00:46:49

I have three daughters aged 18,17 and 10. They are fantastic and so much fun. My eldest is off to uni later this year to study archaeology at either Durham or UCL, middle the year after to do English. My middle daughter was always the most challenging because of health issues, and is a real firebrand but none of them have really given me anything to worry about and were a great support when I was my mothers carer for 4 nealy 5 years. I am now expecting again and hopefully if I carry to term this will be a healthy baby, I don't care what sex it is (my second husbands first child) but I guess if its a girl I will already now the ropes so to speak!!!

Zatopek Wed 27-Mar-13 20:27:48

I always wanted girls (being from a family of girls) and I love having girls.

Both are completely different. One is very sensitive, slow to warm-up and can be moody, the other is laid back and one big cuddly ball. They couldn't be more different but I think they are both fantastic.

I recently went away for a weekend to a posh hotel with my mum. We shared a room, had loads of laughs, went swimming, enjoyed the gym and jacuzzi, ate lovely food- it was great fun. It's something I can imagine doing with my daughters but not something I think I would be able to do had I had sons.

scarlettsmummy2 Wed 27-Mar-13 20:19:03

I have two little girls and they are fabulous! My daughter also goes to an all girls school and most of her little friends don't have brothers either, and they are honestly all lovely! You will be fine! X

sjupes Wed 27-Mar-13 20:15:56

<mines a girl>

<yey!!>

smile

sparkle101 Wed 27-Mar-13 19:00:57

On my god! I had my scan yesterday and found out I was having a boy. I already have a 2.7 dd. I have found the last couple of days so hard.

I have found having dd so easy and full of fun. I am scared shitless of boys and everything they entail. She is great, I love being able to dress her in dresses or skirts and she is so loving and gives so much back.

How weird you're going through the reverse. You'll be absolutely fine! And if not, can we swap?

twinklesparkles Wed 27-Mar-13 17:00:54

My first dc was a boy and I was sure the second would be

When I found out she was a girl, I was very happy but at the same time a bit worried about how I could raise a girl and what kind of stuff would I need to teach her that was different from my son . The only thing I was looking forward too was buying pink animal print outfits and hello kitty headbands smile

As the weeks have gone on I can't wait to have a little girl, a child is a child. I'm sure there are some aspects of life that are different due to gender, but at the same time the general care of looking after a child is the same smile

Plus it'll mean me and dh have equal "teams", two boys vs two girls wink

Teaandflapjacks Wed 27-Mar-13 16:45:40

Congrats!!! I found out today that i am having a girl too - and very excited! I absolutely adore my Mum, speak to her daily on the phone and would be lost without her - she is ace. My sisters all think the world of her too - your relationship will be whatever you want it to be. We did have a prickly phase when i was 13 and I thought she was 'un cool' - but I am sure boys go through that too...! I did apologise when I was older about it - she said she found it all highly amusing, and would on purpose do 'un cool' things to wind me up! grin

MamaBlue4 Wed 27-Mar-13 15:19:03

My Dd is 23 months and we have a great relationship, saying that she is young and I have the teenage years to come - I remember mine and getting pregnant with ds1. I freak myself out thinking about it.

Even though she's young, she's polite, out going but shy around strangers, we get on great and she loves her mama cuddles but she's in a stage where she favours her vava haha.

I think the relationship you have depends on how you approach it and how you raise her, dd is my only girl, rest are boys, so I try hard to spend time with her doing things she likes away from the boys.

ExhaustedMamasita Wed 27-Mar-13 10:41:56

Amazing – congratulations!

Like so many of the other ladies who have posted on this thread previously, I have a wonderful relationship with my Mum. She’s awesome! Both my sister and brother adore her and are extremely close to her. Nothing to do with gender but your connection as people. You’re so lucky to have a little boy and now a little girl – you can truly enjoy best of all worlds. I’m sure you’re going to love the feminine company around the home too. You can make her your little helper, side kick! It’ll be perfect, I’m sure of it. x

blondecat Wed 27-Mar-13 07:42:33

your post is so reassuring. I am exactly opposite

I have a DD, age 2.5 and just found out a boy is on the way. I am thrilled and my mother can't believe it - there were no boys in my family since 1928. But...

My daughter is sweet and kind, she cuddles me at every opportunity, shares her snack with other children and is generally adorable. I watch little boys her age and see little terrors, running, kicking, shoving one another
How can I cope?

So we will both be ok smile

Saundy Wed 27-Mar-13 07:32:16

Congratulations!

I'm pregnant with my first & no idea what I'm having but would LOVE it to be a girl!

I have a mix of young nieces & nephews of similar age & the girls are definitely more forthcoming with the cuddles & affection than the boys. - especially the older they get.

I also have 3 sisters & although we had our moments growing up my mum is reaping the rewards of putting up with us now. We're all very close to her now & appreciate her so much as women.

Congratulations!

I have a great relationship with my Mum. It's probably less complicated than the one I have with my Dad! grin

I have a 3yo DD, and she's fab. Confident, funny, boistrous, chatty (very chatty! she never shuts up!) eats like a horse, and loves trains. Compared to some of the boys we know, she seems more confident, more self reliant, and less (for want of a better word) manipulative. I'm now pregnant with our second, and a part of me is worried about it being a boy. I'm worried that he'll be a mummies boy and I won't be able to put him down, and DD will resent him, and we'll lose a lot of our independance. blush So thank you for the thread, the replies have been very helpful. smile

Spudoolickay Wed 27-Mar-13 07:00:45

Congrats! Little girls are ace. My DH has 2 DDs by previous marriage and then we had one too. Everyone was so upset on his behalf (wtf?!) because he must've wanted a son. I'm now expecting another girl and DH is over the moon, he says he can't imagine not having our DD now and really wanted another. He said all this before the scan too.

That's how great girls are - he had 3 and wanted another!

I know what you mean about complicated relationships with mums (I have one too) which is why it won't be like that with my girls.

Exactly grin and DDs are fab grin

Mine is 6 and had just come into my room totally dressed for school as a special surprise for me, bless her!

Muggle1978 Tue 26-Mar-13 21:42:20

Muggle1978 Tue 26-Mar-13 21:39:25

Thurlow Tue 26-Mar-13 21:32:07

Sorry, having, that typo has made me laugh more than anything else all day grin

I always imagined having a boy, found out at the scan it was a girl, and was a bit thrown by it. But now I love saying "my daughter". She's not remotely girly yet though. I do wonder sometimes if that's our influence! Congrats on your girl. Girls names are more fun than boys names, anyway.

TheChaoGoesMu Tue 26-Mar-13 21:24:32

I have a boy and a girl. They are both amazing in different ways. Congrats on your girl.

Me really sad, not M&S really sad - why would they care confused

Congratulations smile

When I found out DC2 was a boy, after already having a DD I admit I felt gutted hmm

I think it's because I wasn't ready to let go of DD being a baby (she was 3.5 at the time!) and the thought of packing up all her stuff made M&S really sad.

DS is now two, and a gorgeous bundle of fun though totally different in many ways to his big sis.

What I'm trying to say is that I think what you're feeling is normal, and you'll love your DD for being her, for all the differences her being a DD bring to your family, and for the similarities she has with your DS

BikeRunSki Tue 26-Mar-13 21:09:00

Almost 2 years ago I could have written your post OP! DD is now 17 months old. Boisterous, fearless tomboy, who loves clothes (she didn't get that last bit from me!) - but jeans and kickers! It took me a few weeks to get my head round the idea of having a girl, but now I love having one of each. To me they are X and Y, and their characteristics are because they are different people.

butterflyexperience Tue 26-Mar-13 21:07:15

I have 2 dd's and they are amazing!
Cleaver, lively, loving, caring and strong. smile

They are my soul.
You will bond with your dd too when she is here.

I do get what you mean though the though of having a ds and I'm like what do I do with one? blush

AnisotropicWeetabixFTW Tue 26-Mar-13 21:03:12

Oh you're having a baby. Honestly, you'd feel exactly the same if you'd had a girl first because it's inconceivable that you can love another person as much as you love your first baby. But you do. And they are their own peculiar mix of traits, a wonderful, exquisite tangle of contradictions and brilliance and they are simply themselves. I promise you that you'll love your baby because of who they are and what they have between their legs is irrelevant. At the moment, it just feels magnified as it's the only thing you really know for definite. But once she's here, you'll know how she feels, smells, curls up, snuffles, feeds, cries and tugs at your heartstrings. The fact she's female won't really enter into it.

And I have a girl (as well as a boy). She is so straightforward and I love her in the most simple, uncomplicated and fierce way. She has never tantrummed, never answered back and never played mind games (an accusation I've heard levelled at girls). She is a big, bold, brilliant girl who loves in a big, bold, brilliant way. No drama, no fuss. She is magnificent. I am so proud of her and I could not love her a dot more than I do.

Muggle1978 Tue 26-Mar-13 20:58:06

Startail Tue 26-Mar-13 20:53:50

Congratulations, even my more complicated DD2 is very cuddly even at 12. My 15y DD1 is the least complicated and easiest to get in with person on the planet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now