Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Found out today it's a girl...

(36 Posts)
Muggle1978 Tue 26-Mar-13 20:36:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WhatAGoat Tue 26-Mar-13 20:40:42

Congratulations

I haven't got a boy but I was desperate for one so when I found I was expecting a girl I was secretly upset but she is lovely and much nicer than all the baby boys I know.

You will love her and not all girls and mothers have bad relationships be different to your mother I am going to be

clabsyqueen Tue 26-Mar-13 20:41:36

Nooooo - don't worry! A complicated relationship is not guaranteed. I know lots of happy/healthy mother- daughter relationships. You've just dramatically increased your chances of being taken out to lunch for Mother's Day in your 50's. boys might be uncomplicated but i don't think they're as thoughtful as daughters(I say this as the sister of 2 totally hopeless brothers and partner to a hopeless son). I have one girl already (almost 2) and she's easy and cuddly and I'm expecting another girl - couldnt be more pleased. Personality counts more than gender really.

SourSweets Tue 26-Mar-13 20:43:05

Aww, congratulations on your baby girl! I am having a boy and have never had a girl but I am one of 3 sisters and we are all so close to my mum, it is the most uncomplicated relationship I have (aside from my husband). We all call her at least once a week, she visits us all over the country wherever we are, and I have such happy memories of my childhood with her and my sisters. We told her everything, and still do. I'm sure you'll have an equally wonderful relationship with your daughter as you do your son. X

WaynettaSlobsLover Tue 26-Mar-13 20:43:41

I was, and I hate to say it, a bit disappointed and worried about the stuff you mentioned when I found out dc 2 was a girl.

Almost two years on, she's the funniest, most confident , affectionate boisterous little bugger and seeing her wake up every morning absolutely makes my day. She's a great sleeper just like dc1 and I love all the silly games we play. I do her a pedicure and manicure (so flame me!) and she loves to play with my makeup and try on my shoes. I have so many hopes and dreams for her and her dad worships her too. It sounds so very sickly and cringey but seriously, her huge eyes and quiffy hair and juicy bottom are just the best. I adore her with every inch of my being. Great straightforward birth too.

You are going to love it, trust me.

sjupes Tue 26-Mar-13 20:43:51

Aaaaw congratulations first of all smile

Now, tomorrow i find out what dc3 is. I have one dd (8) and one ds (16 months) my dd is exceptional - don't expect them to be what you want, how you want them to be or anything like you expect - you might not want pink - she will, you might not want gender specific toys and vice versa but i'd say with girls in particular they are enigmas.

My ds is lovely and perfect but my god he's hard work - from my own point of view i say girls are much easier to raise! Btw i never wanted girls for the same reason as you, too much chance of emotional wrecking etc

I am hoping sort of that dc3 is a girl just to give me peace blush

Anyway i hope my rambling has made sone sort of sense - basically girls rock you are very lucky!

WaynettaSlobsLover Tue 26-Mar-13 20:44:57

I also have sisters who I love and are my best friends. We spoil my mum and are very close with her smileit's how you bring them up OP so relax

Chubfuddler Tue 26-Mar-13 20:45:14

I already had a son when I found out I was expecting a girl. I understand what you mean but really once I had her, she was just herself first and foremost, gender didn't really come into it. And I live her every bit as much as her darling older brother (who also adores her). Don't worry.

Lj8893 Tue 26-Mar-13 20:46:00

I can't comment as I have no children, but do want to say that not all mother daughter relationships are complicated!

My mum and I have an amazing bond and relationship, she equally has a great relationship with my brother but completely different to mine.
We go away on mini trips, holidays etc at least once a year and have been doing that since I was about 16.

So please don't worry about a complicated relationship, any mother/child relationship can be complicated no matter what the gender.

My mum, sister and I were like the three musketeers! I really hope that my dd is as close to me when she grows up. She is 2 and a total mummy's girl. She is scarily like me at times but I couldn't love her more. Welcome to a wonderful club!

honey86 Tue 26-Mar-13 20:52:40

girls seem to have worse tempers, and dd bullies her brothers alot little madam....

but we still have an amazing bond... shes nearly 4 now, but she still comes and snuggles wiv me, and she loves her toe nails being painted grin we do the hair n barbie things together... that bit of girlie time xx

Startail Tue 26-Mar-13 20:53:50

Congratulations, even my more complicated DD2 is very cuddly even at 12. My 15y DD1 is the least complicated and easiest to get in with person on the planet.

Muggle1978 Tue 26-Mar-13 20:58:06

AnisotropicWeetabixFTW Tue 26-Mar-13 21:03:12

Oh you're having a baby. Honestly, you'd feel exactly the same if you'd had a girl first because it's inconceivable that you can love another person as much as you love your first baby. But you do. And they are their own peculiar mix of traits, a wonderful, exquisite tangle of contradictions and brilliance and they are simply themselves. I promise you that you'll love your baby because of who they are and what they have between their legs is irrelevant. At the moment, it just feels magnified as it's the only thing you really know for definite. But once she's here, you'll know how she feels, smells, curls up, snuffles, feeds, cries and tugs at your heartstrings. The fact she's female won't really enter into it.

And I have a girl (as well as a boy). She is so straightforward and I love her in the most simple, uncomplicated and fierce way. She has never tantrummed, never answered back and never played mind games (an accusation I've heard levelled at girls). She is a big, bold, brilliant girl who loves in a big, bold, brilliant way. No drama, no fuss. She is magnificent. I am so proud of her and I could not love her a dot more than I do.

butterflyexperience Tue 26-Mar-13 21:07:15

I have 2 dd's and they are amazing!
Cleaver, lively, loving, caring and strong. smile

They are my soul.
You will bond with your dd too when she is here.

I do get what you mean though the though of having a ds and I'm like what do I do with one? blush

BikeRunSki Tue 26-Mar-13 21:09:00

Almost 2 years ago I could have written your post OP! DD is now 17 months old. Boisterous, fearless tomboy, who loves clothes (she didn't get that last bit from me!) - but jeans and kickers! It took me a few weeks to get my head round the idea of having a girl, but now I love having one of each. To me they are X and Y, and their characteristics are because they are different people.

Congratulations smile

When I found out DC2 was a boy, after already having a DD I admit I felt gutted hmm

I think it's because I wasn't ready to let go of DD being a baby (she was 3.5 at the time!) and the thought of packing up all her stuff made M&S really sad.

DS is now two, and a gorgeous bundle of fun though totally different in many ways to his big sis.

What I'm trying to say is that I think what you're feeling is normal, and you'll love your DD for being her, for all the differences her being a DD bring to your family, and for the similarities she has with your DS

Me really sad, not M&S really sad - why would they care confused

TheChaoGoesMu Tue 26-Mar-13 21:24:32

I have a boy and a girl. They are both amazing in different ways. Congrats on your girl.

Thurlow Tue 26-Mar-13 21:32:07

Sorry, having, that typo has made me laugh more than anything else all day grin

I always imagined having a boy, found out at the scan it was a girl, and was a bit thrown by it. But now I love saying "my daughter". She's not remotely girly yet though. I do wonder sometimes if that's our influence! Congrats on your girl. Girls names are more fun than boys names, anyway.

Muggle1978 Tue 26-Mar-13 21:39:25

Muggle1978 Tue 26-Mar-13 21:42:20

Exactly grin and DDs are fab grin

Mine is 6 and had just come into my room totally dressed for school as a special surprise for me, bless her!

Spudoolickay Wed 27-Mar-13 07:00:45

Congrats! Little girls are ace. My DH has 2 DDs by previous marriage and then we had one too. Everyone was so upset on his behalf (wtf?!) because he must've wanted a son. I'm now expecting another girl and DH is over the moon, he says he can't imagine not having our DD now and really wanted another. He said all this before the scan too.

That's how great girls are - he had 3 and wanted another!

I know what you mean about complicated relationships with mums (I have one too) which is why it won't be like that with my girls.

Congratulations!

I have a great relationship with my Mum. It's probably less complicated than the one I have with my Dad! grin

I have a 3yo DD, and she's fab. Confident, funny, boistrous, chatty (very chatty! she never shuts up!) eats like a horse, and loves trains. Compared to some of the boys we know, she seems more confident, more self reliant, and less (for want of a better word) manipulative. I'm now pregnant with our second, and a part of me is worried about it being a boy. I'm worried that he'll be a mummies boy and I won't be able to put him down, and DD will resent him, and we'll lose a lot of our independance. blush So thank you for the thread, the replies have been very helpful. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now