Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When did / will you pack your hospital bag?

(67 Posts)
MyNameIsAnAnagram Tue 26-Mar-13 15:06:04

I'm 33 weeks with DC2 and struggling to remember what I did last time round. I'm sure I had it ready ridiculously early and didn't go into labour till 42 weeks!

MummyPig24 Sun 29-Sep-13 08:00:16

Luckily I've not had to have a c section so pjs have always been fine.

extracrunchy Sat 28-Sep-13 21:40:23

That's what I thought - then I thought maybe easier not to have to pull them up over scar..? Anyway I'm risking it and taking pjs!

TransatlanticCityGirl Sat 28-Sep-13 19:46:45

Most PJ bands sit way way way above the c section line....

TransatlanticCityGirl Sat 28-Sep-13 19:45:04

I didn't pack until 40 weeks. I knew I wouldn't give birth before then so I wasn't worried, plus I figured labour takes so long, I can start when the first contractions start. I ended up giving birth at 42+2 by forcible eviction.

I did have a list on hand from around 36 weeks in case it happened... and baby's things were more or less packed even if not in the bag, as I had gathered them all up together.

This time I'll probably be even more non-fussed about it as I know exactly what I need and I'm generally more relaxed about everything.

extracrunchy Sat 28-Sep-13 19:37:02

I think the reason nighties are advised is because if you have a c section waist bands can be very comfortable.

Xenadog Sat 28-Sep-13 18:56:51

Thanks MummyPig I think nighties are horrendous and just make me think of old ladies - really don't need that when I'll be feeling grotty anyway!

MummyPig24 Sat 28-Sep-13 17:01:21

Xena I wore pjs after the birth. I don't like nighties either.

MummyPig24 Sat 28-Sep-13 17:00:11

Well the first time I had not a single thing when I had ds at 36+6 so the second time I was uber organised and packed, crib set up by about 35 weeks. Dd obviously took her sweet time and arrived a week late. This time I reckon I will aim to have it packed at around 37 weeks.

mikkii Sat 28-Sep-13 16:52:24

DS about a week before my due date.

With DD1, I had placenta praevia. At 33.5 weeks I had a bleed, went in with my notes and a book, not expecting to be kept in. DH had to pack my bag the next day. I hadn't put knickers on my list, so I didn't get any!

With DD2, I was diagnosed with PP again at 22 weeks. Bag packed (for me) at 23 weeks, needed at 24 weeks......and 26, 31, kept in at 33 weeks, emcs at 36 weeks, DH had to buy baby clothes as other clothes were in process of being washed by my lovely cleaner.

Cjilly Sat 28-Sep-13 16:44:43

With DS I packed at 37 weeks. I hate packing for anything so this was mostly due to that, but I'm glad I did pack so late cause I'd hate to see my hospital bag at the front door for weeks on end (I'm vert impatient).

I wouldn't advise it though, the earlier the better. I forgot a lot of stuff that my mum had to leave me during labour to get my must-haves.

Xenadog Sat 28-Sep-13 14:32:29

People have mentioned nighties but I hate them - are PJs a no no after birth?

Seriously I have no idea what to pack, when to pack it or anything. I'm 28 + 5 so thought I would do it when I begin mat leave at 36 weeks but now wondering if I am leaving it too late.

extracrunchy Sat 28-Sep-13 13:46:17

Ooh I was just going to ask exactly this question! I'm only 28 weeks though blush

PumpkinPie2013 Sat 28-Sep-13 13:41:48

I'm 31 weeks and just starting to think about/prepare mine.

I have some travel size toiletries so I'm not grabbing the normal ones on the day, maternity pads, breast pads but that's about it smile

Will continue adding to it over the next week or so!

Romily Sat 28-Sep-13 09:54:43

I am only 21 weeks and had just bought all the bits for my hospital bag when I was admitted to hospital. Mercifully both baby and I are fine however I am going to keep my bag packed from now on so that I ready at any time.

KarmaBiatch Fri 27-Sep-13 17:28:28

I'm a couple days off being 37 weeks and haven't packed yet blush

This thread just gave me the push to look everything out and have it all lined up and ready to go in a bag!

JoJoManon Fri 27-Sep-13 16:46:14

I am 31 weeks and not packed yet but I do have a spreadsheet of all the things I need with the items I already have/bought in green and those I need to buy in red. (I'm a bit sad I know) Planning on buying all the stuff in red over the next couple of weeks and then packing after I have everything bought.

PinkParsnips Fri 27-Sep-13 14:20:43

I was planning to do mine the week after next when I start my maternity leave (35 weeks) but after a bit of a scare this week when they thought early labour was starting I'm going to do it this wknd just in case!!

oohdaddypig Fri 27-Sep-13 14:15:45

Second time round, I didn't pack until my waters broke at 40 plus 3 weeks.

Cue lots of yelling at DH...

bingeddybongo Fri 27-Sep-13 14:13:01

I'm 39+3 and have got half a bag sort of packed. Although there isn't a bag there yet. So basically I have some random things piled up on my desk.

Cookiepants Fri 27-Sep-13 13:58:56

On my due date wink, my DH made me. DS didn't arrive for another week ( I knew I had plenty of time).

princesscupcakemummyb Fri 27-Sep-13 13:55:21

well i havent done mine yet im 35 weeks tomorrow on dc3 with my last dc i did it quite late and still went overdue so not going to rush

honey86 Sat 30-Mar-13 15:22:00

i bring a pen or2. 1st and 2nd time i had nothing to fill in the meal menu, or writedown times in between contractions. can be very handy to have x

MyNameIsAnAnagram Sat 30-Mar-13 14:11:25

Well I bought some maternity towels, breast pads and newborn size nappies today, so made a start smile

cupcake78 Fri 29-Mar-13 17:05:27

28 wks with dc 2, done nothing!

dinkystinky Fri 29-Mar-13 16:53:02

I just stick a whole pack in too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now