Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When did / will you pack your hospital bag?

(67 Posts)
MyNameIsAnAnagram Tue 26-Mar-13 15:06:04

I'm 33 weeks with DC2 and struggling to remember what I did last time round. I'm sure I had it ready ridiculously early and didn't go into labour till 42 weeks!

redwellybluewelly Wed 27-Mar-13 11:34:38

Oh. And I should add I have the list to end all lists which is a "piece de resistance"! It covers my bag, baby's bag, the car bag, the food needed for a month, the toddlers nursery bag items, toddlers lunches, items need to be bought and/or borrowed. Now I have the list I feel I am halfway there!

festive Wed 27-Mar-13 11:39:52

Packed by 36 wks for DS1. Now 34 weeks with DC2, really must get sorted! Don't worry too much about quantity - we ended up staying in for 2 weeks last time so had to send DH and parents out with lists of stuff for me and baby.
Main thing I'd forgotten and not even bought was clothes for me to feed in afterwards - if you are planning to bf it's useful to have a couple nighties / PJ vests that have the nursing straps and also a couple nursing vests or comfy tops with buttons to wear with comfy leggings / joggers for few days afterwards and cardies over the top of vests as much easier to feed in.
Also practically nothing fit DS as he was enormous so DH and grandparents were dispatched to shop for next size up and wash everything then bring it in!
Things I found most useful - flip flops, flash wipes, a water spray, lucozade sweets, a purse full of pound coins and other change for DH for the car park.
Things I did not take out of bag - books, magazines, music, food and snacks - was in too much pain to concentrate on any of this and also nauseous the entire labour. Nevertheless I will prob still pack it all this time as every labour is different and I might be ravenous smile)

birdofthenorth Wed 27-Mar-13 21:25:01

Am 37 weeks today, having a sweep next week and failing that full induction the week after. Nothing packed! Very few early babies in family history but I guess yes, it wouldn't hurt to get packed!!

MyNameIsAnAnagram Wed 27-Mar-13 22:19:33

Dh found a use for the snacks we took last time wink

glossyflower Wed 27-Mar-13 23:07:43

I'm currently 36 weeks, first timer, and haven't packed my bag yet. I've made a start on baby stuff but need to organise my own.
I've been prompted because I have been getting contraction type pains!

sundaesundae Wed 27-Mar-13 23:13:51

Did mine at 40 weeks... currently 40+4...

ButteryJam Wed 27-Mar-13 23:19:19

How many bags are people packing?

I'm not sure how to do this as if I give birth in midwife led unit (which I hope to) ill only be in for 24 hours. Otherwise could be in hospital for anywhere up to a week.

So how much do you pack and do you have seperate bags?

I'm thinking one bag for labour and 24 hours post birth with plenty of snacks, my clothes and baby's 1st outfit etc, and then another bag packed for both of us if we need to stay for longer than 24 hours and keep that in the car boot?

Well this is baby 3 so I'm feeling well practiced! I do a separate one for me, the baby, and then my older dc.

Me: 2 feeding bras, PJs, old shirts of DHs, flip flops, 6 pairs big pants, 4 packs maternity pads, breast pads, small wash kit (+make up if you like), towel, clothes to go home, a few long lasting snacks, water in refillable sports bottle, juggling balls, maternity ball + pump (if not provided at hospital) camera, phone + charger, little puzzle book or something and pen.
Keep the stuff you'll want right after birth (pants/bras, pads) at the top.

Baby: 4x babygros, 4x vest, 2x hat, 2x cardian, 1xsnowsuit for car home if cold, 2x cellular blanket, 2x sheet/swaddle wrap. Presents from baby to older dc.

Older kids: change of clothes each, PJs each, special toy each, something nice for the babysitter!

dinkystinky Thu 28-Mar-13 08:11:36

Am doing 1 bag - but leaving stuff at home in a pile in case we have to stay in for longer (extra nappies, bras, pants, clothes for me and baby, pillow, toiletries) as DH will simply come home and bring stuff in for me and the baby (which is what he did after I had DS1).

In labour bag am putting in straws (ideal for quick slurps of drink in labour), some snacks/lucozade sport drinks, pjs, feeding bra, pants, maternity pads, lansinoh,breast pads, towel, nappies for baby and at least 4 changes of outfit for baby (as they always seem to wee everywhere when I change them!), cotton wool and oil to remove meconium, ipal and connecter for music, towel, shower gel, toothpaste and toothbrush and face towel.

Flisspaps Thu 28-Mar-13 08:14:42

26 weeks, both times.

Planned home births both times.

Went past my EDD both times.

I total forgot nappies and wipes on my list. Take those!

dinkystinky Thu 28-Mar-13 09:00:15

TeWi - am on baby no 3 too. Don't worry pregnancy brain gets us all!

grin

With pfb DD I forgot to pack anything to labour in, enough pants, anything sensible for DD to wear, or clean jeans to wear home... I'm sure this led to wanting a homebirth with the next one!

dinkystinky Thu 28-Mar-13 09:25:17

Sounds like me with pfb ds1 - remembered my pillow but forgot clothes to come home in or bf suitable tops (.I.e anything with buttons). Dh brought me in trousers two sizes too small - god knows where he got those from! - so now am making the pile of stuff to bring in if need be...

ButteryJam Thu 28-Mar-13 13:56:11

How many nappies should you take in?

glossyflower Thu 28-Mar-13 14:00:58

buttery no idea but I've packed 6. I guess DH will bring more if needed.

10/12? Just in case...

I usually just shove a whole pack in...

dinkystinky Fri 29-Mar-13 16:53:02

I just stick a whole pack in too.

cupcake78 Fri 29-Mar-13 17:05:27

28 wks with dc 2, done nothing!

MyNameIsAnAnagram Sat 30-Mar-13 14:11:25

Well I bought some maternity towels, breast pads and newborn size nappies today, so made a start smile

honey86 Sat 30-Mar-13 15:22:00

i bring a pen or2. 1st and 2nd time i had nothing to fill in the meal menu, or writedown times in between contractions. can be very handy to have x

princesscupcakemummyb Fri 27-Sep-13 13:55:21

well i havent done mine yet im 35 weeks tomorrow on dc3 with my last dc i did it quite late and still went overdue so not going to rush

Cookiepants Fri 27-Sep-13 13:58:56

On my due date wink, my DH made me. DS didn't arrive for another week ( I knew I had plenty of time).

bingeddybongo Fri 27-Sep-13 14:13:01

I'm 39+3 and have got half a bag sort of packed. Although there isn't a bag there yet. So basically I have some random things piled up on my desk.

oohdaddypig Fri 27-Sep-13 14:15:45

Second time round, I didn't pack until my waters broke at 40 plus 3 weeks.

Cue lots of yelling at DH...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now