Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Were your instincts about the sex right?

(79 Posts)
LuckyOwl28 Sun 24-Mar-13 19:09:10

I'm currently 37+6 and throughout my pregnancy have had so many people demanding of me that I 'must know' or 'must have an instinct' about the sex of our baby, and felt I must be missing some kind of maternal instinct as had absolutely no idea!

However, just over the last week all I can seem to think about is girl - I'm dreaming of having a girl, looking at girl clothes and subconsciously even referring to my bump as 'her' or 'she'.

Do you think this means anything at all?

Did you have such a feeling with your bumps and were you proved right/wrong?

I genuinely don't mind either way so makes no difference, I just wonder if this is the 'feeling' that everyone talks about

rrreow Fri 05-Apr-13 17:14:49

With DC1 I thought it was a boy. Not through any sort of instinct but because I REALLY wanted a girl and figured it would mean it must be a boy. DH thought it would be a girl. I was right.

With DC2 I thought it was a girl because the pregnancy symptoms were so different and had really bad morning sickness. Not sure what my DH thought. My aunt thought it was a girl because I found out I was pregnant around the same time my grandmother died (so she thought it was some kind of cosmic exchange.. female for female). DC2 hasn't been born yet but on the scan it was pretty clear it's a boy grin

Wishfulmakeupping Fri 05-Apr-13 12:59:33

I knew straight away I was expecting a girl even when I was having dreams of having a baby boy I still knew it was a girl and I was correct smile

weeblueberry Fri 05-Apr-13 12:53:15

I was utterly certain it was going to be a boy. All the signs said boy, when I dreamed about the baby it was a boy, all I did was look at boys clothes.

It's a girl. Obviously. wink

plentyofsoap Fri 05-Apr-13 12:17:24

Thought he was a boy all along and he is. Had a feeling about it, difficult to describe!

harleyd Fri 05-Apr-13 12:14:31

i was right with all 4 of mine, am hoping i have it right this time too...

scaredbutexcited Fri 05-Apr-13 11:17:01

I seemed to know that I'm having a girl but no idea why.

Had lots of dreams about the baby in the second trimester and she was always a girl.

However, my mum was totally convinced I would be a boy (I think that is what she would have preferred!!) Apparently she is happy know though wink

i honestly had no idea either way. no strong feeling of boy or girl! i got ds grin

my bff said straight off she was having girls with her 2 dcs- sh was right both times.

my dm said she was right with me and wrong for both my dsis and dbro. so she got 1 out of 3 right (or was lying about getting me right grin )

NandH Wed 03-Apr-13 04:41:28

I somehow knew both times, the first I knew I was having a girl and then had dd and the second time my pregnancy was completely different to the first and decided I must be having a boy, out popped ds!! he's 8 weeks old now grin

I knew what mine were from quite early on with my first two as had cvs but both times we went on holiday to Italy and everyone told us what sex they were and got it right!

This time I have no idea am only 7 weeks though. DH is convinced is a DD but I can only think about boys names!

MyShoofly Wed 03-Apr-13 03:59:06

Correct both times....beautiful boys smile

LittleFeileFooFoo Wed 03-Apr-13 01:56:52

I thought I was having a girl, I was wrong!

EcoHippyMum Wed 03-Apr-13 01:51:45

I knew with all three of mine, can't explain it either and did have lots of dreams too. Got not the slightest but DH thinks its a boy (maybe wishful thinking).

MariahHairy Tue 02-Apr-13 21:33:47

no!

Stixswhichtwizzle Tue 02-Apr-13 21:27:40

I was completely wrong!

Nope, got it wrong 4/4 times.

hotcrosbum Tue 02-Apr-13 21:26:02

I knew ds was a boy from the start. Didn't even entertain the idea he was a she.

I am 7 weeks now and no instinct at all. Haven't got the foggiest.

Lovethesea Tue 02-Apr-13 20:37:37

DC1 dreamt boy throughout early pregnancy, just before labour started had a vivid baby girl dream. DD arrived.

No clue with DC2, same lack of pregnancy symptoms, same bump, same everything. DS turned up.

I think my torso is too short to do a variety of bump shapes, I just about fitted them in and they both got stuck tight.

Dogsmom Tue 02-Apr-13 19:54:54

I always really wanted a girl and spent the first months of my pregnancy doing all the old wives tricks and they all said boy, I also spent hours thinking it was a boy and had many dreams in which it was a boy.

I gave birth to her last month :-)

Gingerbreadpixie Tue 02-Apr-13 19:23:05

Totally wrong! I'm 19 weeks. Myself, DH and several friends and family were convinced this little one would be a girl. We had a scan last week and he's definitely a little boy!

megarobotdiscoparty Tue 02-Apr-13 18:07:35

Was adamant it was a boy from day 1. Mother-in-law was also so convinced it was a boy she told us not to bother telling us the sex at the 20 week scan - "I already know what he is!". Sure enough he was... although he has yet to be born and there's always room for sonographer error! What a shock we'd get if he turned out to be a she now...

xigris Tue 02-Apr-13 15:39:20

I was 100% certain I was having a boy when I was pregnant with my first. We didn't find out at the 20 week scan and when the baby was born I had been right all along. Convinced of my womanly intuition, when I was pregnant the second time round, I was sure that it was a girl. We chose to confirm this at the 20/40 scan so that we could prepare DS now 2. I smugly confidently told the sonographer that I was certain it was a girl and that I'd been right first time. "Oh look" she said, "there's 'her' willy". blush. Clearly not as psychic as I thought!

Hooya Tue 02-Apr-13 15:20:46

Nope, was certain it was a girl and found out today - boy! My 'gut feeling' must have just been wind grin

When I rang my mum to tell her I was pregnant (first day of missed period I got a BFP), she asked 'what is it' and I said 'a boy!!!'.

We couldn't agree on any girls name, I didn't want to look at stuff for baby girls. Had a boy's name from about 18 weeks, and only bought boys clothes.

Didn't find out he was a boy until the day he was born at 39 weeks.

A friend was also certain she was having a boy, and she did smile

LuckyOwl28 Tue 02-Apr-13 12:50:42

Hopefully not long til I find out! 39+1 today!

I still can't get girl out of my head - will update when I know for sure!

Convinced I was having twin boys, doubly wrong, two girls!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now