Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Were your instincts about the sex right?

(79 Posts)
LuckyOwl28 Sun 24-Mar-13 19:09:10

I'm currently 37+6 and throughout my pregnancy have had so many people demanding of me that I 'must know' or 'must have an instinct' about the sex of our baby, and felt I must be missing some kind of maternal instinct as had absolutely no idea!

However, just over the last week all I can seem to think about is girl - I'm dreaming of having a girl, looking at girl clothes and subconsciously even referring to my bump as 'her' or 'she'.

Do you think this means anything at all?

Did you have such a feeling with your bumps and were you proved right/wrong?

I genuinely don't mind either way so makes no difference, I just wonder if this is the 'feeling' that everyone talks about

Jamdoughnutfiend Sun 24-Mar-13 19:52:54

No wrong both times. A bit crap at this motherhood malarkey!

DewDr0p Sun 24-Mar-13 19:53:28

I was sure dc1 was a girl... I was wrong (when the mw said "it's a boy!" I said "are you sure?" grin )

I thought dc2 would prob be a boy too - not based on any instinct at all, just on the basis that dc1 was! I was right that time.

I was convinced dc3 must be a girl, totally different pg and all that... wrong again!

I think the old 50:50 rule holds true...

FoofFighter Sun 24-Mar-13 20:18:34

I somehow knew with my first two and was right. This one - almost 20 weeks and no idea yet. finding that a bit weird tbh!

kicker Sun 24-Mar-13 20:26:26

I have been right three times. I just knew as soon as the two blue lines appeared what sex was going to be.It was a bit sad in a way as I never had that excited feeling of not knowing.

TinkyPeet Sun 24-Mar-13 20:48:08

I have 'known' with all 3, and got them all right, but strangely enough so did my sister with her 3 and my mum with all 3 of us. Family of weirdos lol xx

Emmaw9 Sun 24-Mar-13 20:49:27

Totally wrong! Everybody was convinced girl (myself included) I had a boy, my sister was the only person who said boy right from the beginning!!

Shootingstarsandcomets Sun 24-Mar-13 20:55:50

I thought it was a boy from the beginning and he was!

MyNameIsAnAnagram Sun 24-Mar-13 21:27:25

I was sure dc1 was a boy and he was. This time I thought for a long time it was a girl, but I'm not sure now. I'll let you know in about 9 weeks....,

Fakebook Sun 24-Mar-13 21:33:40

Dc1 I knew from the moment I found out I was having a girl. I just knew. I was right.

Dc2 I thought I was having a girl, but my heart was telling me it's not a girl. I had a boy.

This time I don't really feel anything. Nothing like that strong gut feeling I had with dd. I do think I'm having a girl again though. We'll see in a few months!

lollypopsicle Sun 24-Mar-13 21:36:52

I felt 'boy' with first pg from the start and was right. Before I was pg again I was convinced i'd have another boy (for various irrelevant reasons) but when I did fall pg I just couldn't shake the feeling she was a girl. We found out at a 28wk growth scan and looks like I was right again smile

GirlOutNumbered Sun 24-Mar-13 21:41:18

Wrong both times!

Goldchilled7up Sun 24-Mar-13 21:46:00

No, I was totally convinced I was having a girl and got a shock at the 20 weeks scan when I was told I was having a boy grin

MsTimTam Sun 24-Mar-13 21:48:50

No idea the first time, but everyone (except my Dad and I think he was just disagreeing to be different) thought it was a girl - it was

Before I got pg the second time, I said to dh that we would only have girls and was fairly certain dc2 was a dd from the beginning. It was confirmed at the 20 week scan, we were asking more for confirmation than anything else.

Well by definition we have a 50% chance of being right with our instincts, so half the ladies on here who 'just knew' should statistically have guessed correctly and the other half should have got it wrong.

I guessed wrong, I was certain the bump was a boy, until the 12 week scan when I was told she was a girl!

Flisspaps Mon 25-Mar-13 08:17:35

Wrong both times grin

Msbluesky32 Mon 25-Mar-13 08:52:55

I was convinced it was a boy from the start, 20 week scan confirmed its a little girl...although they did add a note on my file saying they couldn't confirm for sure (but there really wasn't the usual 'trio' in between the legs so think it will be a girl)

atrcts Tue 26-Mar-13 23:40:48

Wrong twice!

shelsco Sun 31-Mar-13 00:00:29

Right first time but wrong the next 3! Although with DS3 I did suddenly feel I knew about a week before he was born that he would be a boy (after being convince he was a girl all the way through). Was absolutely convinced that Ds1 was a boy and Ds2 was a girl and completely right with one and wrong with the other!!

babyradio Sun 31-Mar-13 00:23:38

I had a feeling he would be a boy because I wanted a girl so much. Or I thought I did, I cried at my 20 week scan before they'd even started because I'd spent the previous 16 weeks praying it would be a girl and suddenly the prospect of knowing for sure was too scary, I was afraid it would be a girl and I'd be gutted it wasn't a boy. Now I am so so happy to be having a boy, pregnancy is strange!

AWhistlingWoman Mon 01-Apr-13 21:39:10

First was sure was a boy. Dreamt about him and everything.

DTwins. Both girls.

Third was absolutely certain was another girl. Felt as though somebody had tapped me on the shoulder and told me.

DS1.

No maternal instincts here obviously.

sjupes Mon 01-Apr-13 21:52:14

Desperately wanted dc1 to be a boy but knew she was a girl the whole way through pregnancy i just 'knew' and tada a dd she is.

With dc2 i wanted boy and knew from around 14 weeks - i had a 'boy' bump and i was right.

Dc3 i have the same bump as dc1 so said for ages another dd - i was right again grin

My body follows the old wives tales for bumps - girls all round boys up and out smile

Kw2013 Mon 01-Apr-13 22:07:35

I knew both times and was adamant I was right but it could of just been a coincidence. First was a girl and second is going to be a boy

GummyAdams Mon 01-Apr-13 22:11:01

Felt from the start that I was having a boy; had a strong feeling that I was, though no preference as to either sex. I was told by everybody (about ten people in total,) that they thought it was a boy. At my last appointment the midwife said she was sure it was a girl.
She was wrongsmile

Kafri Mon 01-Apr-13 22:12:17

I referred to bump as 'he' the whole way through and 'he' turned out to be a he. was a good job really as dh and I still can't agree on a girls name and ds is now 14 weeks old.
im convinced I thought 'he' simply because the book i referred to always said he.

sweetkitty Mon 01-Apr-13 22:24:51

I've had four, thought the first was a girl and I was right, then thought the next 3 were girls too , next two were but last one had a willy grin

There was nothing to suggest he was a he, bump was the same, cravings and MS the same, SPD the same. Even when we got told at 22 weeks he was a boy still couldn't believe it, I remember looking at the blue blankets thinking nah, they've got it wrong, I couldn't get my head around the fact he was a boy.

He's 3 now and most definitely a boy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now