Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Heartburn! Any tips!?

(29 Posts)
Clouise1626 Sat 23-Mar-13 22:19:39

Im 21weeks and my heartburn is slowly getting worse by the day. I take gaviscon which keeps it at bay for an hour or so. Any tips to help prevent this? Apart from milk,cant stand the stuff!
Thanks smile

goodbyekitty123 Mon 01-Apr-13 17:12:55

I find that my heartburn gets worse after certain foods. Try avoiding chocolate (especially milk and white- Cadbury's is the worst for me), mint, anything fatty and anything else that you find makes it worse. Vanilla ice cream seems to bring some relief as do yoghurts/petit filous.
Gaviscon is great for immediate relief but it doesn't seem to last long, neither do the chalky antacids although they seem to be more palatable.

I've found that sleeping propped up at night helps when I have night time attacks of heartburn (not nice). If it's really bad then go to your GP who will probably give you omeprazole (I had a prescription for this but haven't wanted to use it unless as a last resort as I didn't like the sound of the side effects).

Good luck!

MostlyCake Mon 01-Apr-13 16:38:05

I have heartburn at the moment - doesn't sound as bad as the OP though. Not bending over at all (squat as Stuntnun says) helps loads. Also sitting really straight for a few minutes seems to help me, maybe gives my stomach more room or something.

Gaviscon only works for a short time, I also accidentally bought the aniseed flavour - YUCK!! Milk is the best thing for me, can you hold your nose to drink? Fat free yoghurts also help if you hate milk. Soya milk might be worth a try if you can't take dairy?

Milk makes me feel sick, but I'm okay with proper chocolate milk (the nice thick stuff, not milk with nesquik). It worked well for me.

The Tums type tablets were also pretty good, and didn't taste as vile as the minty chalky rennies.

I had Manuka honey during my pregnancy - not that I heard it was for heartburn I just craved it because it reminded me sunny afternoons as a small child in my grandparents garden and eating it on toast (I'm a kiwi).
I would eat off the teaspoon, probably about a spoon a day.

Then I heard it was good for heartburn and later ran out of it and then I start getting heartburn and when I started having it again it went away...

Hey... It might work for you..,

Thumbwitch Mon 25-Mar-13 11:39:20

Another thing I tried in my second pregnancy (didn't need it in the first) was sleeping with a beanbag in the bed, to keep me at a slight elevation. This mostly helped. I had to use a beanbag to avoid getting extra pressure on my hips (also had SPD).

I am so glad I'm never going to be pg again...

glossyflower Mon 25-Mar-13 07:25:28

Oh dear it's awful isn't it?
I tried a prescription called ranitidine which you take twice at day but it had little effect. I'm now on omeprazole which you take once a day half an hour before food. (Also have gaviscon - don't buy it get it on prescription for free)
My heartburn gets worse at night, so not eating too late in the evening can help to give your body time to digest food. Can be difficult in pregnancy when you get those sudden hunger pangs at all hours!
I would definitely visit your GP as it sounds like over the counter medication like gaviscon will not be enough.

Thumbwitch Mon 25-Mar-13 05:21:26

Vanilla icecream, good quality stuff with actual vanilla seedy bits in, helped keep mine down with DS1. With DS2, it didn't work (but I had it from 12w all the way through) - needed regular application of Tums, and occasional devil spunk Gaviscon

StuntNun Mon 25-Mar-13 04:56:47

Don't bend over too far. If you need to pick something up from the floor then squat to reach it instead. It sounds trivial but I found it really helped during pregnancy.

Wishfulmakeupping Mon 25-Mar-13 04:46:25

Rice pudding- the midwife suggested it and it worked wonders

saturdaymorningyawn Mon 25-Mar-13 04:30:00

You have my sympathies I had horrendous heartburn up until the day DS was born. Don't feel you have yo suffer just because it's one of those 'typical pregnancy things. Go yo your GP and get omeprazole. I waited far too many miserable months.

WestieMamma Sun 24-Mar-13 23:15:55

Milk in the form of ice-cream helps me. But not the rich creamy types, more the cheap watery type.

ChairmanWow Sun 24-Mar-13 22:23:06

<Omeprazole>. Autocorrect went wonky there.

ChairmanWow Sun 24-Mar-13 22:22:24

YY to Omepraze if Gaviscon doesn't control it or it's keeping you awake. It's brilliant and not considered harmful in pregnancy.

If you're going to drink milk my GP recommends only skimmed as a higher fat content will exacerbate the problem. Hope you get some relief soon. Heartburn is the pits.

bogwoppitinatree Sun 24-Mar-13 17:24:56

Have you tried a bit of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water - get decent stuf. Doesn't taste amazing but does the trick. I am steering clear of Gaviscon as it has quite a lot of different salts in it which I don't want but ACV has done the trick so far (29 weeks).

cyclecamper Sun 24-Mar-13 11:10:01

Try different things - I started with tums, which is what I use when I am not pregnant but it wasn't enough, so following advice on here I tried gaviscon, which didn't work for me (I think it was the opposite of the placebo effect - I disliked it so much that I didn't want it to work!) and one lady suggested rennies, which seem to be working at the moment - I'm 28 weeks and have some in every bag.

ZuleikaD Sun 24-Mar-13 10:07:15

Yeah, Gaviscon - I go through nearly a litre a week at the moment - thank goodness it's in prescription!

Fakebook Sun 24-Mar-13 09:33:03

I know you've said no milk, but the only thing that helped me during terrible heartburn and reflux at night with DS was hot hot milk in the evening. It had to be really really hot with a bit of sugar.

Other than that, boots indigestion tablets and foxes mints helped too.

booksandchoc Sun 24-Mar-13 08:52:19

I hated milk with a passion but someone told me to try drinking it, didn't like it much but had cravings for choc milkshake, so bought the nesquik stuff and ended up just making it up in the milk bottles, giving it a good shake so loads of froth aswell. Might be worth a try?

Flisspaps Sun 24-Mar-13 08:33:37

ASDA own brand heartburn sweets. 4 tubes for about £1.60 and none of the grimness of Gaviscon.

TinkyPeet Sun 24-Mar-13 08:28:02

I'm loving the orange Rennies at the mo. not chalky at all. Can't stand gaviscon it makes me gip. Urgh x

HarrietSchulenberg Sat 23-Mar-13 23:09:29

Gaviscon. I lived off it for months.

DinglebertWangledack Sat 23-Mar-13 22:59:53

Chewing gum helped me till I could get to the chemist to get peptac (like gaviscon except i paid 3.20 for a big 500ml bottle, been wasting time waiting for prescriptions not realising how cheap it was!) chewing gum obviously produces excess saliva which neutralises the acid. Temporary effect for as long as you chew the gum really but I don't reccomend milk as the acid curdles it and will make you feel sick.

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Sat 23-Mar-13 22:54:12

Mints worked for me I'm 21 weeks as well and mine is not so bad just now, was told water melon was good.

cherrycherry41 Sat 23-Mar-13 22:48:35

milk, drink lots of milk!

Clouise1626 Sat 23-Mar-13 22:47:24

Yeh I think ill try the mints and pop to the doctors if it doesnt start to settle, i can only imagine it will get worse before its better sad!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now