Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Anyone not washing all their newborn stuff?

(129 Posts)
Ohdeargod1 Fri 22-Mar-13 21:18:28

DC2 due shortly. I washed all of DS1s new stuff - the baby grows in packets. This time I don't really want to! I'm going to do the blankets. What is everyone else doing?

midori1999 Sat 23-Mar-13 14:37:56

No, I never have and never will wash my baby's clothes before using them.

As for someone saying 'why wouldn't you, it's the first act of love you can give your newborn', you've got to be fucking joking, imagine if I said the same about breastfeeding....

honey86 Sat 23-Mar-13 15:09:22

<walks into thread>

<looks around>

blush

<walks out>

GingerDoodle Sat 23-Mar-13 16:00:14

I didn't; I'm frankly sceptical and agree with Abra1d!

DD is 6 months old and fine! Only thing thats given her a rash is bloody Huggies baby wipes!

Notmyidea Sat 23-Mar-13 16:57:02

what are these "new, in the packet" newborn clothes? My impending dc3 doesn't have any of those! The stuff that's come straight from my lo vely-friend-with-a-Boden-habit's 4 month old (God bless her) has been straight into draws as I'm confident it's more immaculately clean than anything else in my house will ever be. Stuff that's been stored a while or has come from charity shops I've washed.

DinglebertWangledack Sat 23-Mar-13 17:11:30

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

ButteryJam Sun 24-Mar-13 00:21:16

It's up to each individual what they want to do ...

I personally would like to pre-wash all items, but I have two concerns: a) say the other gender pops out and b) say baby doesn't fit into newborn items. In both of these situations I won't be able to return the items, which would be a shame. This is why I am reluctant and hesitant, but will have to make a decision soon ...

iclaudius Sun 24-Mar-13 01:34:33

Cccrazy silly thread
Nope never washed baby clothes
Never will
Never give them chicken nuggets either!

ladymia Sun 24-Mar-13 02:00:48

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

ladymia Sun 24-Mar-13 02:20:38

*What others do!

To each his or her own, but...

I find it odd that people think that because something is in a packet, that means it's clean. Someone made the clothes and I don't know how clean their hands were. I don't know how clean the factory was. That's before the stuff gets in the packet! Also, there are lots of chemicals involved in growing cotton and again I find it oddly trusting that people think that there is no way that there are residues left on the clothes.

Clothes from the loft, put away clean, somehow still smell musty so they get a wash.

The bottom line for me, though, is that I love washing those dinky little things and pegging them on the line and picturing a baby in them. I don't buy a lot of new stuff and don't have massive babies, so taking things back isn't an issue.

I certainly don't think that people who don't wash their baby clothes don't love their babies.

Anyway, I'm just killing time in hospital with a sick baby so don't be mean wink

I've washed things like baby grows and vests but wouldn't wash everything, like many point out you may get so much that they never wear or even a wrong sex diagnosis, plus things like dresses never look that new or nice again once worn if for a party etc, my dd got excema even after I washed all her newborn babygows, I think the washing powders can agrivate it just as much

ChippingInIsEggceptional Sun 24-Mar-13 08:54:02

DinglebertWangledack Sat 23-Mar-13 17:11:30
CHIPPING FUCK OFF WITH YOUR FEARMONGERING

Nice post.

It's not fearmongering - it's simply pointing out that clothes that have just been made are not clean, they have chemicals on them and they are dirty. Do what you like with that information.

ChippingInIsEggceptional Sun 24-Mar-13 08:55:56

ButteryJam Just wash a few things for the first few days, then decide if the rest will be used or not. It's easy enough to put another wash on when the baby is here & you know what size you need smile

ghosteditor Sun 24-Mar-13 08:57:17

You don't have to use washing powder - even a water wash will help, or use soap nuts or homemade laundry goop smile

ChippingInIsEggceptional Sun 24-Mar-13 08:57:50

LadyMia - you couldn't be more wrong grin

purrpurr Sun 24-Mar-13 09:24:05

Chipping darling, do you work for the Daily Mail? You're doing an awfully good job. Perhaps, though, you really should preface your next psychological warfare masterpiece with, 'A leading think tank study suggests...' just for maximum lack of traceability. Or proof. You know, those kinds of things.

Also, massive hmm face.

Lj8893 Sun 24-Mar-13 11:45:15

Oh wow. This thread is crazy!!!!

I'm very newly pregnant and wouldn't have thought about washing new baby clothes, or any clothes for that matter and I work in a very well know fashion brand.

Reading this thread I may well wash my future baby's clothing before wear but probably out of caution rather than the panicky fear that some mothers have on here.

I do however think it is completely up to the individual what they decide to do, am quite surprised and disappointed at the amount of nasty judging going on here!

DaveMccave Sun 24-Mar-13 14:45:50

I did last time. I've often wondered if its necessary. I washed them with softener as well as non bio liquid, who's to say they aren't harmfull?

All the new clothes this time I've bought from h&m, all of them are organic and Oeko-tex certified. Oeko-tex 100 certification means they have proof that no harmful chemicals are used during the production of clothes or at any stage of the process. So if people want to buy but keep in case they don't fit, h&m or anywhere with the oeko-tex label is a safe bet.

Dillydollydaydream Sun 24-Mar-13 15:29:45

I've always washed my dc new clothes when they were baby but only because I love the smell of their clothes washed in fairy & comfort pure, dried in the dryer they're lovely and soft too.

ChippingInIsEggceptional Sun 24-Mar-13 20:08:23

purrpurr - did you actually bother to read the link that WestieMama posted? Thought not.

If clothing was clean & chemical free places like H&M wouldn't need labels telling you that they are chemical free would they?!

Lj8893 Sun 24-Mar-13 20:29:13

And the judging and patronising continues......

AsukiBlue Sun 24-Mar-13 20:53:28

Chipping, I wanted to walk away from this post but blooming hell you just keep going! You have added zero valuability to this thread and you obviously don't have a clue what you are talking about, every post I have given you have viciously quoted but your argument is based on one piece of info, provided by someone else, by reading one doc you cannot claim that all clothing is covered in chemicals. Do you actually know what Okeo-tex is? H&m are very good at marketing things like this. I added my view as I have actually visited mills, laundries and factories around the world that make for the biggest high street retailers and supermarkets, I've seen the process first hand, not just sat at home and believed what I read, which is why I believed my view may be useful.

Stop attacking people, it's completely pointless and you really are making enemies for yourself, and stop judging people for making their decisions.

ChippingInIsEggceptional Sun 24-Mar-13 21:48:34

Asuki - feel free to walk away from the thread, no one is making you read or post on it. Pot/kettle re posting - no?

You have no idea what my background is - none at all. It generally pays to find out things like that before slating people hmm

My advice is not based on one piece of info - I posted three times before westie posted on the thread. Do you actually think you are the only person who has visited mills, laundries, factories etc? Have you actually stopped to think that people here might actually be/have been involved in the actual process of clothing manufacturing and that your 5 years as a 'baby wear technologist' might not make you the most qualified person to speak about such things?

'viciously quoted' - don't make me laugh.

DieWilde13 Sun 24-Mar-13 21:52:25

Asuki, did the mills, laundries and factories that you visited not use any dyes or finishings?
Even the oekotex label only guarantees that chemicals above a certain threshold are not present in the clothes you buy. It does not guarantee that these clothes are free from chemicals, only that they are "harmless to health".

Fearmongering is one thing, but lulling consumers into a false sense of security is quite another!

And, contamination aside, another point to consider is the fact that clothes are simply dirty after a whole process of manufacturing and shipping and the many hands they have been handled by.

Also I am completely baffled by the fact that people sterilise baby bottles and don't wash baby clothes.

ChippingInIsEggceptional Sun 24-Mar-13 21:53:49

I haven't attacked anyone and I haven't judged anyone for making their own decision. I have no idea why on earth are you so defensive and wound up about this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now