Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Low-lying placenta - been told I cannot fly

(11 Posts)
BraveLilBear Tue 19-Mar-13 12:22:07

BA don't fly to the particular Greek island as far as I'm aware - it would be with Thomson and they need FTF after 28 weeks...

From their website: "Thomson Airways will require a note from your doctor or midwife if you will be over 28 weeks pregnant when you are due to fly. This note should state your date of confinement pregnancy is uncomplicated, and you are fit to fly. Please ensure you have insurance cover for the entire trip as many policies cover only up to the 28th week."

I think another airline would be cost prohibitive, if I'm honest.

Will speak to GP at 24 week check.

Christelle2207 Tue 19-Mar-13 12:11:53

sorry x posted. I would go and get second opinion from gp.

HazleNutt Tue 19-Mar-13 12:11:10

I know BA asks for the certificate, can you use a different airline? I was just checking out some flights for when I would be 34 weeks and several airlines said that medical certificate is not necessary.
Could you get a private scan before the flight to see if it's still an issue?

Christelle2207 Tue 19-Mar-13 12:09:19

I think the yoga teacher it talking out of her arse.
If there was an issue about anything you would have been told at the hospital - I would call mw for reassurance but ignore anything that the yoga teacher said until you get opinion from someone who's actually responsible for your care (presumably not including her).

BraveLilBear Tue 19-Mar-13 12:05:53

That's why I'm so confused Hazle - I will need a FTF as I'll be 30 weeks but have essentially been told that I won't be given one by midwife.

I don't want to put myself or bub at risk, but feel so confused by all this!

BraveLilBear Tue 19-Mar-13 12:03:36

Thanks Panzee, good to hear it worked out well for you!

I'm not under consultant care, but just spoke to the antenatal day unit who told me the above.

HazleNutt Tue 19-Mar-13 12:03:17

Brave, as you know I have the same condition and got a fit for fly certificate without any problems. Besides, if you're ok with flying, a lot of airlines don't even ask for the certificate.

BraveLilBear Tue 19-Mar-13 12:01:25

The yoga woman is simply trying to cover her backside I think. I just did speak to a midwife, who told me all of the above. Was initially gutted that I won't be able to do the yoga, then got hit with the 'and you shouldn't fly anywhere either' - essentially, the flight people will be unwilling to take me 'just in case' and I won't be able to get a fit to fly cert (which I'd need anyway as flying at 30 weeks), which is the kind of 'get out of jail free card'.

I'm just totally shocked by this. I had no idea. If I hadn't have phoned today, I might not have known til two weeks before I flew, when I'd be asking for a FTFC.

Panzee Tue 19-Mar-13 11:58:40

Nobody told me to stop anything and I did yoga and swimming until about 36 weeks - and mine was a partial O/S. The yoga teacher knew about my PP and didn't query it. I had no issues.
No idea if I was being unintentionally irresponsible but I would call your consultant to check.

Flisspaps Tue 19-Mar-13 11:55:44

I would call your MW - the yoga teacher may be talking out of her arse (she might not, but I'd sooner take the MWs advice)

BraveLilBear Tue 19-Mar-13 11:32:47

I found out I had a low-lying placenta at 20 weeks scan a couple of weeks ago. Had an extra scan and was told placenta was anterior and 8mm away from cervical os so it's almost certain that I will be fine come full term. It's listed on notes as 'anterior, 8mm from cervical os'.

I was given no other information whatsoever.

Was told this week by a pregnancy yoga practitioner that I'd need a special certificate to do exercise because of this. So, a bit worried that maybe I've been inadvertently putting myself at risk due to being blissfully unaware of any potential issues, I just called one of the local midwives as it'll be 6 weeks til I see one next (GP visit only at 24 weeks).

She said that essentially, no exercise professionals will let me take part in case something goes wrong. Blow one. But I should just carry on as normal, although should possibly avoid anything excessive such as water skiing or even bike riding (!). And then she said I won't be able to fly as I won't be able to get rescanned before I'm due to fly to a wedding in Europe at 30 weeks, and I won't be able to get a fit to fly certificate either.

I'm absolutely devastated and a bit shocked, too. I was totally unaware of this - shouldn't the sonographer tell you this if it's such a high risk problem?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now