Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

My birth story...

(14 Posts)
ButteryJam Wed 20-Mar-13 21:26:55

Wow, that's an amazing story and you were so brave and you did it all naturally! You should treat yourself and as others have suggested, speak to someone at the hospital/your midwife. Take care of yourself.

looneytune Wed 20-Mar-13 12:35:30

Wow what a story, you did an amazing job and it sounds like your little one is doing very well. Of course you will be in shock and it will all seem very strange for a bit but like somone else said, what a birth story to tell him when he's older. Look after yourself and try and speak to someone at the hospital about how you are feeling. Take care x

elsabel Tue 19-Mar-13 22:17:24

AMAZING! Well done you must be very emotional and overwhelmed. Sounds like he is strong like his mummy, be kind to yourself sweetheart

DebK2012 Tue 19-Mar-13 20:26:06

Aww a saint Patrick's day baby like my mum!!! smile

LuckyOwl28 Tue 19-Mar-13 17:35:07

Wow, no wonder you're in shock!

Try and focus on the positives -

Your litte man is healthy!

You delivered naturally!

You had no pain relief at all!

You have an amazing birth story to look back at and tell Harry about when he's older!

Despite being in an extremely uncomfortable and scary position you managed to get your husband and the emergency services there in time!

I think you deserve a lot of respect and Harry is a very lucky little boy to have such a strong Mum xxx

ExhaustedMamasita Tue 19-Mar-13 15:51:29

What an amazing story! You'll no doubt be in a bit of a shock - only natural - but just think you have a lovely healthy baby who needed to meet you sooner rather than later. What a great story to tell them when they're older! x

CareerGirl01 Tue 19-Mar-13 14:55:00

Well done, don't blame yourself! You have a beautiful baby that just needs a bit of TLC right now. There was a chance our little girl was going to come early (at 30 weeks) but she's holding in there at 33 weeks now. I'm expecting her to come early though. The care I was given when it looked like she was making her way out really reassured me that babies born at your stage of pg normally do very well xx

NormaSpoonOeufEggcher Tue 19-Mar-13 11:57:07

Wow. You did so well. I hope he is home with you soon.

You will probably be in shock. Don't hesitate to ask the hospital for help with that. They have mws who can help you with a debrief if you are struggling.

Christelle2207 Tue 19-Mar-13 11:55:05

wow you must still be in shock. These things happen, can't possibly have been predicted or (it appears) prevented. But the main thing is your baby is doing fine. At 32 weeks babies are small but do very well. Best of luck and hope he's home with you soon xxx

Saundy Tue 19-Mar-13 11:36:56

Wow what an amazing story, it sounds like you did brilliantly.

You are human so it's perfectly natural that you would be in shock right now & need some time to let your head stop spinning. Give yourself some recovery time. You've done nothing wrong, these things just happen some times.

Congratulations on the birth of your baby boy & I hope he's home where he belongs soon. flowers

Gimmeechocolate Tue 19-Mar-13 10:36:01

Alison, what a shock for you. I imagine it really is hard to believe that your baby is here especially as he was so early and so quick. But congratulations that you have a healthy son! I am sure you just need a little time to adjust to the shock and soon enough you will have your little boy at home with you. I hope he continues to thrive and that you are able to come to terms with everything and enjoy your new family x

NotAQueef Tue 19-Mar-13 10:35:41

Oh wow, that is quite a story. No wonder you are in shock. - it was not your fault he came early!
Congratulations on baby Harry - hope he grows big and strong enough to be home in your arms very soon. x

Thingiebob Tue 19-Mar-13 10:31:43

Oh my word! You are probably still in shock. How frightening for you and DH.

But you gave birth beautifully in a very brave way, and your little boy is in the best place and seems to be doing well. He will be home soon. You didn't do anything to make him come early. He just felt like it. The paramedics would have got there soon enough, you would have cuddled him and kept him warm until they arrived. You instinctually would have known what to do.

Massive congratulations to you and your partner and hope your little one will home with you soon.

AlisonL1981 Tue 19-Mar-13 10:22:37

Hi ladies, just wanted to share my story with the people that have been my source of information over the last few months! The more I say it and write if down if might sink in for me!

I went into labour on Sunday 17th March at 17.15. At 32+5 weeks. Didnt realise it was labour and went and sat in
the most comfortable place which seemed to be the toilet! Pain started getting worse but I couldn't stand up. Text my partner to tell him to get home quickly. About 17.30 my waters broke on the toilet and reality hit! Through the screaming I made if to the bed with the cat at my side abc called 999. Lady on the phone asked me how far apart the contractions were
and then I realised they were under a minute apart. Crouched beside the bed but couldn't feel baby between my legs yet, the paramedics arrived within 12 minutes, as they banged on the door I stood up and baby Harry came out. Caught in my knickers and by the paramedic that had just walked through the door, 17.50 after 35 minutes! I can't describe how petrified I was that he wouldn't be ok, I couldn't look at first but then heard him cry.
My partner walked in just in time to cut the cord and we were bundled into the back of the ambulance.

When at hospital Harry wax taken to ITU and given oxygen and a feeding tube. He only needed the oxygen for 10 hours, now all my brave little man has is his feeding tube.

I still can't take it all in. So many thoughts and feelings.

Did I do something wrong to make him come out do early? What if the paramedic wasn't there when he was born, I let him slip out?
I'm feeling empty, there's no bump but no baby at home either. I'm so so greatful he is ok. He's healthy, not poorly, just needs some help to grow. I just need to get my head around it.

Thanks for listening ladies xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now