Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Membrane Sweep Success Rate? Please share your experience?

(26 Posts)
ladymia Mon 18-Mar-13 23:22:04

Hi

Just want to check if anyone had one in previous pregnancies?

At how many weeks?

When did you subsequently go into labour?

I have one scheduled for 40+6 (this Friday) so many of my friends that have recently had babies have had unsuccessful sweeps so just really want to know if it's even worth it?

gwenniebee Tue 19-Mar-13 22:23:12

Had one at 41 weeks, mw said it was very successful as I was already 1cm dilated and she got a lot of the membranes away. Had horrendous contractions all afternoon/evening but they died away.

Had another at 41+2 - same effect.

Booked in for induction at 41+5 but my waters went an hour before I was due to go to hospital!

I then had a very smooth labour and baby was born within 5 hours of active labour.

I have no idea whether she would have arrived as smoothly without the sweeps - part of me thinks because it seemed to induce the early stage of labour (I had contractions every day from after the first sweep) my active stage was better. But it might just have been coincidence.

They certainly hurt!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now