Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

sister in law saw psychic now im worried

(24 Posts)
LemonPeculiarJones Tue 19-Mar-13 09:51:19

Please ignore this 'psychic' OP - as everyone else has been saying, it really is utter bollocks. Not true. A con.

If people like her really did have psychic ability then why is everything they say so vague and crap? It's guesswork. And it's really irresponsible. They gain money through exploiting the fears and grief of others.

Doris Stokes was a hugely famous, wealthy 'clairvoyant'. She made her fame and fortune playing on the grief of bereaved people. It has been proven that she had a team of researchers and many cold-reading techniques to make her appear clairvoyant but it was all lies.

I used to read the Tarots as a teenager interested in the occult. I was curious and liked the pictures grin. I got quite good at it in the sense that I could interpret the cards with just the right amount of suggestion/sensitivity to who I was reading (I never charged, just read for friends and family). There was nothing psychic going on, I could sense from the people having the reading how they were feeling and of course they were familiar to me. But it was so easy for them to see something magical or uncanny in it. People want it to be true; they suspend disbelief.

But it's just another way of paying someone attention, responding to them. Nothing psychic. I was good at it in the same way I was good at writing English essays at the time - interpretation, making connections, expressing thoughts in as interesting a way as possible.

Don't let this charlatan worry you for one second ! Enjoy your pregnancy smile

PatriciaHolm Tue 19-Mar-13 09:42:26

Echo all the others. It's a pile of bollocks. Please please don't give it another thought.

Maggie111 Tue 19-Mar-13 09:36:05

A load of bollocks. It's likely in any family if you stretch your mind far enough that someone has a disability - so you sound psychic without having any intuition...

If I thought someone in my family had a disability, I'd think of my two cousins who have disability benefit for mental disabilities.. Or I'd be thinking of someone who had dyslexia or my Granny who is RIP but lived in a wheelchair... Or my friend who is like family to me, who is disabled.....

None of those really fit the true criteria, but if I really tried to make it "fit" I could and then I'd think "wow, what an AMAZING psychic! How did she know?!?!" .....

Don't let it upset you, and do speak to your husband about it if it's bothering you.

colditz Mon 18-Mar-13 23:35:10

I bet I could convince you that I am psychic.

I would guess that right now, you are feeling a little unsure about the future, and this person has provided something to mull over. Add in pregnancy hormones, and you've got a bucket of worry.
t is REALLY EASY to pretend to be psychic, all you have to do is listen to people. They give a lot more away than they realise,

Teaandflapjacks Mon 18-Mar-13 23:30:02

Yes I agree - having looked into this area loads i often think these people often pray on the vulnerable and needy, and that is really out of order.

INeverSaidThat Mon 18-Mar-13 23:18:31

It is complete and utter bullshit. I guess most families have someone who has a disability of sort so it is the type of thing a psychic would typically guess at.

This shows why psychics are insidious and why I wish they didn't exist.

I don't which is worse the ones that actually believe what they say or the ones that know they are talking crap.

Trazzletoes Mon 18-Mar-13 23:18:21

Oh yes, I've just remembered that our psychic also told me that there was a young baby, possibly from the past or the future trying to contact me, which gave me the willies because DH and I were trying at that time and I was terrified after that I would miscarry.

Fortunately I didn't and now have 3yo DS to show for it. Of course, he has his own health problems now but if the worst happens... Well, I wouldn't describe him as a baby anymore...

This is complete and utter nonsense. So called 'psychics' make me very angry, they are either self-delusional freaks who believe their own bullshit, or they are con-artists and scammers.I have known people get terribly dmaged and ripped off for huge amounts of money by getting sucked in by their nonsense and going back time after time for reassurance.

OP, she said this to your SIL because 99% of all families have a member who is disabled in some way. It was a 'safe bet', just like saying 'You have a relative whose name begins with J.' or 'Someone you are close to has been on a long journey recently'. hmm

Total crap! Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy!

Liveinthepresent Mon 18-Mar-13 22:35:02

I spent my first pregnancy wondering if the psychic my DSis had seen was right when she smugly told me that the psychic predicted I would have a boy.
She had a 50/50 chance to be fair!
But nope I had DD grin

Ignore it - none of her other predictions came true either!

birdofthenorth Mon 18-Mar-13 20:54:11

Utter rubbish, ignore it.

Teaandflapjacks Mon 18-Mar-13 20:52:42

Mmm this is a tricky topic. I did psychology for my degree, we did lots of studies on this, and were part of a research project looking at this, and it was a big fat no, totally unproven. However - I have been to see a few psychics in my time, just curiosity about such things, and have learnt to read the tarot cards. From all of my experiences, a lot of what is said by most of them is pure chance, and they read your body language (or tells) to warm to their themes and hence getting stuff right. There is a school of thought that suggests that their are levels of our subconscious we sometimes access, but don't understand it - hence that feeling you get when you just 'know' with a close relative or friend something is up and call them straight away, and so on. However this is nothing to do with some person you have just met telling you about great aunt maud waving at you from the beyond.

The story you have been told is, I am certain, classic guess games from a psychic, and hugely irresponsible of this 'psychic'. They use terms like this to cover everything - could be someone walks with a slight limp sometimes, or has hurt their hand an so on. Did you find out who this psychic is? What school she or he practices from? If people must go to psychics, then you need to research them super super carefully. Anyone can set themselves up as a psychic, it is totally unregulated. Please do not worry about this - I have looked at psychic studies from both sides of the coin and it really is pure guess work - if such a thing really existed would they not have predicted the lottery results for themselves?! Please don't be frightened by it, as it is nothing to be frightened of - it is grown up tales of the bogey man IMO, and as I said, hugely irresponsible at time. xx

massively irresponsible of your SIL to even mention it to you given your pregnancy. utter shite.

OpheliasWeepingWillow Mon 18-Mar-13 20:45:33

I see that:

You have been worried recently
A pile of bills?
A woman wearing grey is saying something
There has been hurt in your past

And so on and so on and so on

It's like horoscopes. You see what you want to see.

Ignore!

giraffesCantDateDucks Mon 18-Mar-13 20:43:06

bullshit

seeker Mon 18-Mar-13 20:42:13

Oh love- this is why these ghastly vampires shouldn't be allowed to take money off people. She was just casting around- you must be the only family in Britain without anyone with the slightest degree of disability, so she was unlucky with you!

LouiseD29 Mon 18-Mar-13 20:38:46

It's total crap, and you're worrying about nothing.

Parents' best friend was told by a psychic he wouldn't live to see his 40th birthday. He's now 65.

Please don't worry yourself about this.

Booyhoo Mon 18-Mar-13 20:21:34

i saw one once when i was 19 (a friend had a psychic party)

she said that i had been through rough times with my mum (what teen hasn't?)

that i had a brother (nope)

that an older man in the family had died (yes, over time, all of the people in my family either died or will at some point die)

that i used to wear a ring (what teenage girl hadn't worn a ring at some point)

and that someone close to me had done a test recently (i was 19, most of my friends were in college or doing driving tests- not really a hard one to guess)

Trazzletoes Mon 18-Mar-13 20:09:22

Agree with everyone else. I saw one once (just coz my friends were...) and she came up with the names Kathleen and Anne (amongst a whole load of other names that meant nothing) - the names of my dead mil and living aunt-il.

She knew at least 1 was dead - got the wrong one. Got absolutely everything wrong - sudden death (no), mil was the elder (no) all sorts of crap.

She did manage a bit about my dad - limp which was a lucky guess (he had a broken leg when he died) but came out with all sorts of crap that there was no way on earth he would ever have said.

It is lucky guesswork. That is all. Please don't worry yourself.

Floralnomad Mon 18-Mar-13 20:08:24

It's complete rubbish ,psychics fish for info . Also disabled covers a multitude of things and somewhere in your family there will be a person with a disability of sorts .

SourSweets Mon 18-Mar-13 20:08:15

Agree with the above. Total rubbish, don't waste a second more thinking about it. Wouldn't any major problems have been picked up at your anomaly scan? If that was clear then believe in the science rather than mystic meg!

MisselthwaiteManor Mon 18-Mar-13 20:06:17

Try and ignore it, they have a set list of vague phrases and hope they get lucky. It really doesn't mean anything.

noblegiraffe Mon 18-Mar-13 20:03:52

Psychics are bollocks and make stuff up. Occasionally they are right through chance, and that's what people remember.
In this case she was wrong as there is no one disabled in your family.
She absolutely certainly did not mean your baby. If she was actually psychic, wouldn't she have said something specific rather than a vague statement that most people could find a fit for?

Booyhoo Mon 18-Mar-13 20:02:50

they talk a load of bull. he/she was taking a stab and hoping taht his/her client would have a disabled memebr in tehir family. they really dont base it on any fact or feeling at all so dont worry yourself. they really just spout shite.

gmets Mon 18-Mar-13 19:59:36

i know thistopic may be a little controversial but its really playing on my mind. my SIL went to see a psychic last week and she mentioned that there was someone disabled in the family. At this point there isnt anyone, now in all my pregnancy angst ive wound myself up to believe that she may be talking about the baby (im 32 weeks). i never go to psychic's etc cos it totally freaks me out but now i feel like this has been thrown at me and im completely worried and stressed. i havent shared any of this with DH cos he will just say its total crap and im worrying about nothing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now