Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

preventing pelvic girdle pain

(9 Posts)
BabyHMummy Fri 03-May-13 10:47:13

My physio recommended a gym ball and some pelvic and core stability exercises which have helped me as far as putting about the house is concerned. I still struggle hugely with walking distance which means my poor dog is only getting short walks although more of them. She is being very good though.

If you are already having physio etc you sound like you are doing everything already. Think all you can do is keep doing what you already are doing and try and avoid stairs, shopping trolleys and anything that aggrivates it.

DinoSnores Fri 03-May-13 07:34:51

I had bad PGP with DS who was born at home. In between him & DD arriving, I went to Pilates which made a huge difference. I had an epidural with her so I'm not convinced it made a huge difference as I was much better afterwards than with DS. Pilates was the important thing for me.

fairysmam Fri 03-May-13 02:12:54

I delivered both PGP babies without epidural. I had an epi on my first. I can honestly say it was the best thing i could have done for my recovery. The pain of the pelvis does actually get over ridden by labour pains. I delivered on my knees and found it actually very empowering after feeling so useless and helpless for so long. I had an epi on the first and ended up being a vacuum delivery, this may have been why i developed problems to begin with.

fairysmam Fri 03-May-13 02:10:07

Joined specifically to answer this. Firstly, i'm so sorry for your loss. Can't begin to imagine what you're going through. I didn't have pgp in my first pregnancy. I got the first niggles at 18weeks on my second. But it got bad fast. I was on crutches at 30 weeks. I was admitted for pain management (pethidine injections) at 36 weeks and early induciton at 38 weeks. I had all the self help tips. I had a serola belt too. I got pregnant on my second when my first was only 4 months, so i thought surely on my third if i leave a longer gap and get physio early i'd fare out better. Sadly not. I got pregnant on my third when my second was 18 months. The niggles started almost as soon as the positive pregnancy test. I was on crutches at 12 weeks. By 30 weeks i was in a wheel chair on and off. Admitted for pain relief at 36 weeks and early induction at 38 weeks. I was also on tylex from about 20 weeks for pain relief, which i hated but otherwise i was getting little more than a couple of hours sleep. I swore blindly that i would never even contemplate having another one, and here I am a year later wanting another child. One thing i will say is that I have only started seeing an osteopath now as i couldn't afford it up to now and i'm already more mobile. I suffered for a year post partum on the second and the same on the third. I probably would still be bad now only for the Osteo. Feel free to PM me. It's a horrible thing to go through when pregnant. My darkest days were definately when pregnant. I still dont know if i'll get the courage to TTC now. I'm trying to lose weight and get fitter first. I'm a size 14/16. Trying to strenghten abdominal muscles too. It's a scary prospect to face it all again. But like you, i think i'll regret it if i dont.

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Tue 19-Mar-13 09:14:59

Hi lucy, I know I'm very lucky not to have had problems first time. With hindsight probably did have a bit towards the end but just out it down to general pg aches and pains. Was nothing like this though.

DS is 3 in June and very sensible thank goodness. His communication is good so I can explain why I can't pick him up much, but it is hugely frustrating. We try to do something active (ish) in the mornings when I'm at my best, soft play or playground etc. but a lot of the things we used to do have gone by the wayside, like long walks and playing on the beach.
I did work 3 days a week and fortunately I have a great gp who told me in no uncertain terms that I was stopping at 26/27 weeks when it got really bad. Physio laughed when I said I wanted to go back to work!! I really think that with a child at home you should go off sick as soon as it starts to get to much.
I refused crutches as couldn't see how I could manage them with DS too, but wish I hadn't now as there are times when DH is about that they would have been useful.
Have to say the most painful thing is turning in bed or trying to get out. DS is up in the night at times at the moment, maybe 1 night in 4, and that's really hard. I get tired and this with the pain means I'm less tolerant of DS when he's being a normal 2 year old. Have shouted a few times which I feel dreadful about. Have to keep reminding myself that this is no ones fault, just bad luck and I have to ride it out.

Thanks for the advice about induction. DS was only 6lb 10 at 2 weeks overdue so want to give this one lots of growing time if I can stand it. Also had a quick straightforward labour with DS so hoping for same again. Think will try water birth for support, though there wasn't time to fill the pool last time!

Hope the pelvic partnership come up with some useful info for you. Very best of luck, hope it all goes better than you're expecting.

lucylovesketchup Mon 18-Mar-13 20:30:21

Thank you, and good luck to you too! I just want one more and then that's me done! Twins would be great! Just want a sibling for my little one. I've thought about adoption so that I wouldn't have to put my family through me being disabled again. It is SO PAINFUL! and so frustrating! Nobody believed me, apart from my physio and my husband! crazy!! The advice is to not have an epidural, but I did and told all the medics that I had pgp and was fine (actually couldnt cope with the pain of pgp in labour, which was way worse than labour pains). Had a vaginal delivery with forceps so had to go in stirrups with my symphisis pubis out but was fine and could walk once it wore off, which i couldnt do at term. then had my spd sorted with physio and was ok. Have you found it hard having pgp and looking after DC1?
I tried ringing Pelvic Partnership this morning, so will hopefully hear back from them soon smile
You're so lucky that you had a pgp free pregnancy first time round. If you're really fed up you can ask your physio to request induction at 37 weeks on the grounds that you have pgp.
Thanks so much for answering me! Hope you're having a pain free evening smile

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Mon 18-Mar-13 15:34:13

You may find some info on the pelvic partnership website useful.

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Mon 18-Mar-13 15:31:11

I understand that core stabilising really helps, so regular pilates or yoga might bean idea. Also heard anecdotally that acupuncture from early on can help.

I got it at 26 weeks. Core exercises, tubigrip support over bump and under bump belt from physio all help a bit. This is dc2 for me and didn't get it first time. It's horrific. Makes you count the days away. 36+3 and not expecting anything soon, but hoping!

You're very brave. I couldn't go through this again. Had no idea really how bad pgp was. Good luck, with both ttc and the pregnancy.

lucylovesketchup Mon 18-Mar-13 14:36:36

Does anyone know how to prevent pelvic girdle pain? I had it from 9 weeks in my first pregnancy (wound up in a wheelchair) and then had it from 5 weeks in my second pregnancy (second trimester miscarriage). I recovered from first pregnancy but haven't from my miscarriage. Still have cracking in SI joint, it feels stiff a lot, and my hips crack when i walk up stairs. I can live with all that when I'm not pregnant, but want to become pregnant again. It's been a year since my miscarriage sad and still suffering. Had ongoing physio since 12 weeks of my first pregnancy until now (3 years) and have had many pelvic manipulations. I have a toddler in nappies so will wait until he is potty trained etc, but wondered if anyone had any tips for preventing it altogether? I kept my knees together, wore a si support belt, shortened my stride, did core exercises, slept with a pillow between my legs, abstained from sex etc in my second pregnancy but still had my pelvis out of place in my second pregnancy before the end of the first trimester. I have no family help as my family live away and my in laws seem to think i'm making it all up so will not help at all!!! DH works a lot so need to rely on myself and odd bits of help from friends. Really want another baby - any advice would be great smile Has anyone got really fit and not got it as bad next time?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now