Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone else feeling really itchy?

(13 Posts)
fertilityFTW Tue 19-Mar-13 13:12:07

Same here, Terraria. I've sensitive skin prone to itching at the best of times. Dermatologist told me years ago that it may be a dry skin condition related to my mum's asthma - that was a while back and I forget the details now, but I've always managed it by moisturising religiously after every shower, using Oilatum initially and then switching to E45 and Palmers Lotion, both which I used for years. And, like I mentioned earlier, the Tummy Butter has been great for the ramped up stretching skin itchies - and I use it for the bump, bum, boobs areas and the usual regimen for the rest of me. Hope you find something that works for you!

TerrariaMum Mon 18-Mar-13 20:12:20

Thank you all. I think it is unlikely to be OC as it is focused mainly in the torso area, around the breasts and bump. Nor is it severe or persistent enough to stop activities or sleep. It is just a little bit annoying. I suspect I exaggerated when I said all over as when one is this pregnant, any itching in that area feels like all over.

I also have especially sensitive skin and have always been prone to itching in general in response to washing powders and things like that. Changing my clothes has proved helpful as some fabrics are quite rough on my skin.

Sorry if this sounds like dripfeeding. It was only after I posted that I started to look at other factors. Thanks again.

pinkteapot Mon 18-Mar-13 20:05:11

could be a sign of obstetric cholestasis so maybe let your midwife know. though in my case I had Polymorphic Eruption of Pregnancy (rash in stretch marks) on my tummy, caused frantic itching to point of tears, and allergic itching on legs (given piriton). harmless, but awful, scratched myself raw...

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Mon 18-Mar-13 16:49:41

Totally agree you should get checked. Whole body itching isn't the norm. So long as all well then I've found mama mio tummy butter to be fab for itch, calms it right down.

spaghettibolognese Mon 18-Mar-13 16:00:05

Hi, yeah good idea to have it checked out. I've had the same for the last 2 months (belly, shins and boobs) and they check my liver every few weeks to make sure I haven't developed OC. If it's not (and fingers crossed for you that it's all fine and dandy), I've also been prescribed various creams and bath oils - a lot of them don't work, but I'm trying out a new combination of creams today so will see how that goes. Also, I've been told to switch to a non-bio detergent (if you haven't done that already). Good luck!

fertilityFTW Mon 18-Mar-13 14:21:41

If it is just the stretchy itching (as opposed to OC or hormonal etc.) I can totally relate - it's been driving me batty to the point I can't sleep sometimes for wanting to scratch my skin off - I've tried everything from slatherings of Bio-Oil to E45 and have found that Palmers Tummy Butter is the only thing that calms me down. Its thick and gloopy, in the fashion of butters - but smells good and does the job and the relief really lasts for me. Boots is the only place I've found it.

motherofallmuddles Mon 18-Mar-13 14:21:07

Equally I really really really dont want to freak you out but please get this checked out. A simple blood test will tell you if its O/C. If it is then you need to be monitored daily. I had this with DS and thanks to my wonderful doctor all was well
Wish you well and fingers crossed its just hormonal. Let us know how you get on

Lexiesgirl Mon 18-Mar-13 14:17:52

Echoing dinglebert, and without meaning to scare you, itching is one of those flags that you really do need to get checked out because of OC. If it was just your bump then I would have agreed with the skin stretching, but itching everywhere isn't something you need to ignore.

littlemrssleepy Mon 18-Mar-13 14:16:51

Agree with Dinglebert - get this checked out, it may be indicative of OC which is related to the liver.

atrcts Mon 18-Mar-13 14:16:38

With my second pregnancy I felt really itchy in the first trimester, but not with the first pregnancy so was a bit unexpected.

I read it can be hormonal and that moisturiser can help. I bathed in E45 bath oil and applied almond oil liberally between times, which helped a lot.

I am guessing that towards end stage pregnancy it might be hormonal as well. Good luck finding some relief.

gertrudestein Mon 18-Mar-13 14:15:31

Yes. Chronic itching boobs. Am only 24 weeks but boobs are going up a cup size a week at the moment, so I imagine that's why they're itching. I've heard that all over itching comes with later pregnancy, when everything is growing.

DinglebertWangledack Mon 18-Mar-13 14:15:01

I don't want to freak you out but I would get that checked out, could be obstetric cholistasis (sp) is it severe persistent itching?

TerrariaMum Mon 18-Mar-13 14:13:20

I am about 34-35 weeks pg with DC2 and for some reason, my entire body itches. I'm guessing that it is because of the skin stretching as I have read that that can cause the itchy feeling. But I'd like to know if it is just me or if anyone has/had this. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now