Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

What are you missing from the extensive list of avoid eating....

(95 Posts)
Kateliztmum2be Sun 17-Mar-13 09:45:46

Hi ladies,
Congrats to all expectant mums2 be!
I'm 19+3 with 1st baby and so new experiences every day! However I'm having a huge craving for eggs, not just any eggs, poached eggs with a dippy yolk, (wipes druell from chin) ! It's the only item on the "avoid eating" list I'm really missing! Breakfast just isn't the same with scrambled or an omelette or a, god forbid, dry fry with hard yolk... I was just wandering if I'm alone in my irrational food desires!?
On the flip side I've never been a sweet tooth or fruit eater, but seem to be craving both!? And I'm completely off red and cooked meats, I had to make a sharp exit from the meat aisle of the supermarket!

Are you having any strange cravings or missing anything in particular!?

Just interested in the myths and old wives tales really

Xx

midori1999 Sun 17-Mar-13 21:37:51

I'm not sure why the NHS site says eggs must be cooked through, as it is certainly true that UK hens are vaccinated against salmonella. I am a stickler for food guidelines in pregnancy, but do eat soft cooked lion stamped eggs an have been told this is safe by GP and midwife too.

lurcherlover Sun 17-Mar-13 21:43:18

You have to ask why the "risk" is there. Listeria could harm the baby, so it's a big (albeit unlikely to happen) risk. Salmonella isn't a risk to the baby, it would just make you feel lousy. Personally I'm happy to take the risk, so I eat runny eggs. And all hens in the uk are vaccinated anyway.

AmandaPayneNeedsaHoliday Sun 17-Mar-13 21:45:22

The thing is also the 'however small the risk' thing is a false comfort. Because there are lots of things you aren't warned to avoid where the risk is at least as great, but probably far greater, than a soft boiled egg.

legallyblond Sun 17-Mar-13 22:09:02

Exactly Amanda, like aspartame (in diet coke etc) - terrible at best of times, let alone when preg. NHS are scarily silent on it.

I think there is a lot of scaremongering about aspartame too

HopefullA Mon 18-Mar-13 07:24:22

I am a new mother and nervous with my hubbie being strict on me.

So i am off
Tea, coffee (dying for a cuppa), all alocohol, cheeses, pate, proceesed meats, salami,

Im having eggs in an omlette when its cooked.

Desperate for a rare steak but my hubbie now saying i need to eat more veggie. Boo Hoo.
Totally having a meaty sandwich for lunch

Hmm what else, im being very good and eating my weight in fruit and veggies...

purrpurr Mon 18-Mar-13 07:46:25

Hopeful, don't mean to speak out of turn but having the Food Gestapo as your husband gets old VERY fast. Mine was Told very early on that I was still a person, not just an incubator, and I was more than capable of following the guidelines myself. Plus, what are you going to do if you experience bad sickness and only feel like eating particular things? I ate lots of fruit and veg until one day I woke up and I couldn't face anything remotely fruit/veg related. I needed cheese sandwiches, in bulk.

Now 33+2, bump healthy, me healthy, marriage healthy.

Jojobump1986 Mon 18-Mar-13 08:26:19

Hopeful - make sure he knows how important it is for you to keep eating red meat. Wouldn't want you to become anaemic, would we?! wink Also, you can get both tea & coffee in decaff form so there's no reason you should have to give them up altogether! Cheeses are good too, except for soft cheese. Your baby needs calcium. Try not to stress about these things too much. It's good to be cautious & natural to be protective but countless babies were born without issue before anyone knew anything about the risks of certain foods. It's really not likely that you'll have any problems if you just stuck to a normal, balanced diet. smile

MyNameIsAnAnagram Mon 18-Mar-13 08:40:25

The fact is you are far more likely to get listeria from a bagged salad, but they're not "banned".

Hopeful if my dh tried to dictate my diet like that he would be getting a swift (and hard) kick up the arse!

badguider Mon 18-Mar-13 08:46:44

NHS guidelines say that up to 200mg of caffeine a day is safe. Tea has around 75mg per cup and coffee varies more but generally around 150mg.

I have found the NHS guidelines in Scotland (we get different books etc) to be pretty good on the whole. Except for the eggs thing. I am eating runny yolks frim lion stamped eggs but not out and about where the eggs might be imported or otherwise not lion stamped.
Also you should know that ALL cheese is ok if cooked and piping hot through. So if you really fancy blue or Brie have it deep fried.

My DD reacts to aspartame, gets a very itchy rash, turns into a small demon, and throws up repeatedly, so we don't have anything with aspartame in except DH's diet coke. (bleugh!)

I'm seeing my consultant/someone from consultants team today, so I will ask them about the runny lion stamped eggs. I like my dippy eggs with the yolk just starting to cook and the white completely done, so I might be having a very nice lunch tomorrow. Runny eggs has been the only thing on the list I've actually drolled over. I've missed goats cheese too, but I've been having it grilled with tomato on toast, which is almost as good. If I'm allowed stilton though, I'm going to buy some today and make soup.

Last pregnancy I craved steak and broccoli, and doughnuts and icecream. I never used to eat steak, doughnuts or icecream. Thankfully back to not liking doughnuts anymore, but the steak habit stayed. I've been very keen on it again this time round, and this time I want it rare, which used to put me right off. I've also been after fruit and salads. I hardly ever eat fruit, just lots of veg, but I've happily chomping my way through 4-5 pieces of fruit, on top of my usual 4-5 portions of veg. confused

As for caffiene, the guidlines are to have no more than 200mg a day, with a cup of tea being about 75mg. NHS link here I've been having a weak tea every morning, and I thoroughly look forward to it.

legallyblond could you expand a bit on the food suppliments thing please?

X-post with badguider about the caffiene.

AmandaPayneNeedsaHoliday Mon 18-Mar-13 09:27:53

Anagram - Yes, it was bagged salad I was specifically thinking of in my previous comment.

andadietcoke Mon 18-Mar-13 09:44:11

Hopeful my consultant told me last week to have red meat 2-3 times a week.

glossyflower Mon 18-Mar-13 17:42:42

Ok you ladies can all give me a telling off but if I want something I will have it.

After have very severe HG for 4 months and was literally starved for all that time, I now can manage to eat and haven't stopped eating anything.
I have however cut down my caffeine, but buy decaf, not really eating shellfish at the moment anyway because pregnancy has made me go off it. I have had a glass of wine, soft mouldy cheeses, runny eggs, peanut butter and medium steaks ( in moderation!)

peanut butter is also fine btw, no need to avoid unless you are allergic to peanuts

Well, I saw my obstetrics consultant, and I asked her about the runny eggs. As long as it's lion branded and the white is cooked, they're fine! So that's my lunch sorted for tomorrow. smile

Paradisefound Mon 18-Mar-13 18:15:48

Worrying about what you are eating will be worse for the baby, than eating the foods you are worrying about.

offonajolly Mon 18-Mar-13 19:55:33

HopefulA I am with you:

i am off pate, processed meats (salami, chorizo etc) seafood etc...

I think its up to everyone individually which guidelines they choose to follow - I personally am not missing any of the above enough to HAVE to eat it, fine without.

You just have to do what's right for you personally I guess.

processed meats and cooked seafood are not on the banned list though

Teaandflapjacks Mon 18-Mar-13 22:43:04

TBH - it is 9 months of your life, the most advice is fairly sensible. I think it is a bit rich to say people are trying 'to control' women. IMO they are trying to keep you and baby safe based on latest scientific research - and if they keep you and bump healthy and safe when pg what is that hard about avoiding alcohol, some cheeses, pate and raw meat? There are plenty of ways to get round them too - alcohol free beer, cooking cheese, cooking chorizo and hams like parma, cooking meat through but slicing really thinly or slow cooking. For me it was a year of trying and one early mc, so I will follow whatever I am told. I know loads and loads of people who don't follow all this and everything is totally fine, but there are also the unlucky few, so I just want to stack the decks in my favour.

DH has excitedly planned a sofa 'picnic' for me when the baby comes, with all the things I have been avoiding . Crusty baguette with fresh pate, really runny brie, pink steak, plates of parma ham, really decent red wine. I plan on expressing - so hopefully I can have a large glass half bottle with picnic and DH can do the feeding with bottle while I splurge. grin

HopefullA Tue 19-Mar-13 04:31:32

Thanks ladies. Its fine though i'm gagging for a cuppa tea. I did buy some decaf tea but haven't worked up to it yet, scared i wont like it so might just drink it when i'm desperate.

My hubbie and I are different religions and he has gone quite strict on the meat malarky but i said - ugh im irish, i need my red meat. its fine, i will have it soon when i need it. Dont want to exclude his ideas either as this was a surprise pregnancy and he is being quite excited about it so i want it to continue!!

I feel grand though, thank god. just exhausted non stop and terrible back ache- hoping it wont last forever...

HopefullA, is your DH sticking to this strict diet too? Surely he should be, to support you in this? grin

HopefullA Tue 19-Mar-13 08:29:35

hehehe not a chance - plus i gave up chocolate for new year and still havent broken it and he scoffing the chocolates in his mouth!

Though now im makign fresh fruit smoothies in the morn to have with my cereal so he is loving this new smoothies for his brekkie. I didnt feel like doing all the chopping this morn so just had cereal and he made such a face when i didnt bring him his smoothie!
Silly boys!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now