Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

i know it's kinda trivial but maternity clothes?? Is Dorothy Perkins 'avin a laugh???????

(66 Posts)
iclaudius Sat 16-Mar-13 21:11:18
Twocatsandcounting Mon 18-Mar-13 09:10:35

Yes it's rubbish. Friends have told me Next is good but in fact they too have dropped maternity. M&S is awful too - nothing in their Oxford st branch and very scant online. M&s can't even manage to sort their bras out. Mothercare - which I had naively assumed would, well, care for mothers, is utter rubbish. Had to return a pair of smart work trousers I bought online from them as was constantly getting electric shocks from the static caused by the 100% nylon fabric. Who on earth wants to wear nylon when pregnant? Rubbish. Best places so far have been Mamas and Papas (great sale offers) and New look online. Everything else is just naff. Feel there's a real gap in the market there for decent budget clothes (with natural fibres please - having a summer baby!)

Muser Mon 18-Mar-13 09:35:47

The selection at DP is ridiculous. I got a few things from there my first pregnancy, and now they have nothing. I don't understand why they are even bothering. I have been living in leggings, a skirt and 2 dresses from JoJo, and some bits a friend sent. Best thing has been some leggings and a dress friend gave me from Boden. I am not normally a Boden shopper, but these are very comfy and well fitting.

NandH Mon 18-Mar-13 09:42:05

H&M , asos, mothercare!!!

That's where I got my maternity clothes smile

MrsSlocombesPussy Mon 18-Mar-13 09:57:50

Red Herring have some maternity stuff at Debenhams, not sure how much is available instore though.

BeCool Mon 18-Mar-13 10:12:09

Have you tried Red Herring @ Debenhams. I got all my best maternity bits from there - cheap too!

I thought the DP stuff strangely designed. Maternity tops that finished at the waist anyone????

BeCool Mon 18-Mar-13 10:12:49

H&M were also great.

BraveLilBear Mon 18-Mar-13 11:14:50

Have to say I was also apalled by the selection available on the high street. I live in an average-sized city, which has a flagship shopping mall featuring New Look, DP, Next, H&M etc. Went into every one and only the H&M had any maternity clothes, all of which were casual only and a very poor selection.

Went to the other New Look in the city and found a small mat section, which enabled me to get some work trousers that fit perfectly (I swear angels started singing). It seems that barely 9 months ago I was making a point of not wandering into mat sections in case someone saw me and started gossiping (a tad immature, perhaps, but was in a new job and wouldn't have been good).

Now I'm looking and there's nothing. Went into Mamas and Papas and was shocked by the prices. They're simply unaffordable - why pay £45 for a jersey dress you will only get a couple of months wear out of?

Online shopping is all well and good if you're at home for delivery and return, but if you work, you have a 3 and a half hour window to get to a post office on a Saturday morning! If it wasn't for a similar-sized friend lending me some of her mat gear I'd be stuffed.

Lamazeroo Mon 18-Mar-13 11:21:34

I got most of mine at Isabella Oliver and Seraphine; would totally recommend both for fashion and quality.

iclaudius Mon 18-Mar-13 11:39:44

Becool I did try red herring but found the quality awful - again the nylon content in a long sleeved t shirt was 90% which is just not nice

iclaudius Mon 18-Mar-13 11:43:44

Muser I so agree!
Brave - I agree about online shopping but even DOING it online and doing it quite persistently and covering all shops I gave been unable to find a half decent pair of fashionable looking jeans in a size 10
No stock anywhere apart from boot cut or shorter legs
I never normally have any problem buying jeans!

I even broke the bank in Isabella Oliver but was HUGELY disappointed. Found their tops too short in the body(!!) I'm 1.72 so no giant - and also found their sizing out ...
Feeling frustrated

lagoonhaze Mon 18-Mar-13 14:42:48

Do funmum still exsist? Trousers were great.

iclaudius Mon 18-Mar-13 17:18:04

Lagoon hmmm will look I once had a top from there I liked so thanks for the heads up

Tubegirl Mon 18-Mar-13 17:23:44

There is very little about I found. I am now only just back in normal clothes after having DS. I could not believe the scant offerings available. I bought a few bits from New Look - the quality is appalling, DP didnt' have anything, H&M had very little and all of it only appeared to come in denim black or white. I had a few things from Matalan but again poor quality. My last pregnancy I could have afforded Seraphine or Isabella Oliver as I was working but this one, not a chance. In the end I bought things on ebay. I have no idea why you can't get any decent reasonably priced maternity wear on the high street. In my local city the place is choc a block with pregnant ladies - so why aren't they catered for?

I actually complained in m&s about gow crap it was that we had to shop online for maternity clothes.
I believe I emphasized very strongly that pregnant women are hormonal and stressed and really wanted to fjnd something in the shop after traipsing round for frigging hours. they do not want to have to shop online, wait for days find it doesn't fit right and have to sendit back to start again.
whoever made these decisions has clearly never been a pregnant woman!

iclaudius Mon 18-Mar-13 22:59:47

I too complained in m and s and the woman recommended next !!!

It's not a great feeling for the feminists amongst us is it? You could jump to conclusions!

I bought two pairs of trousers from Next and Mothercare. Wore them for about 2-3 months. Both were falling apart by the time baby arrived.

Tops - I wore my 'normal' tops for ages, got a belly band to cover the gap between my top at my jeans. Only bought two maternity shirts from Mothercare that made me look like a heffalump, and were worn about 3 times.

I've just received the new H&M catalpgue for spring/summer, and the maternity section looks really good. there aren't many, and the trousers are below-bump, but the dresses and tops are really nice smile

harleyd Tue 19-Mar-13 08:52:49

dp are crap! ive bought a pair of jeans from new look, which are awful. got a swimming costume from mothercare which is awful. a few random bits from ebay, not too bad. and a couple of skater dresses from new look, which arent maternity but are doing the job sofar.

theshooglypeg Tue 19-Mar-13 09:18:03

I found Mothercare had the nicest maternity clothes, which surprised me: I expected it to be really frumpy. I tried all the others, H&M, Next, DP etc and found them poor. I was particularly frustrated at not being able to get maternity trousers in a shorter size - I complained to Next about this, pointing out that although my tummy was getting bigger, my legs weren't getting any longer. But I don't think they really took it on board.

Funny you should say that thehooglypeg - Next was the only place I could find short-leg maternity jeans.

harleyd Tue 19-Mar-13 10:03:50

new look do short leg, but they only had sizes 12 and above left when i was in

some New Look's look a bit teenage mum for me but they've also got some more grown-up styles.

what's this about then? are the chains becoming more serious about Maternity, or are they just covering summer?

they're doing Blooming Marvellous at Morethercare online now

it really looks like you can't get anything in the High Street, it's all online sad

iclaudius Tue 19-Mar-13 12:18:25

It's size 10 jeans I struggle with and conversely in a longer leg

I've been pregnant a LOT and never had any problem getting clothes!

jollytummywobbles Sat 13-Apr-13 14:45:55

DP no longer stock maternity wear, even online. M&S are reducing their range to just swimwear, underwear and nightwear.

It's a nightmare.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now