Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

movement at 20 weeks - quick reassurance needed

(20 Posts)
Christelle2207 Thu 14-Mar-13 13:05:45

Hi
So am 20 weeks tomorrow, not been lucky enough to feel "definite" kicks yet but been feeling rumbles in my tum for about 2-3 weeks which have got strong enough to make me think that they must be the baby, also this week got some "flicking" sensastions which am 99% sure must ben him (or her). Have had these every day recently. Anyway, nothing at all since last night. Given that the movements I've been feeling really have been very light, I shouldn't worry too much should I? Im trying to stop myself from calling the mw in a panic, though pretty much decided I will do anyway tomorrow morning if not felt anything (I feel stuff mostly in the evenings anyway).

redandyellowandpinkandgreen Thu 14-Mar-13 13:09:30

With my first I didn't have a definite 'kick' until 22 ish weeks.

Christelle2207 Thu 14-Mar-13 13:15:15

thanks. I'm not so worried about lack of kicks though as lack of anything at all having previously felt quite a lot of rumbles.

N0tinmylife Thu 14-Mar-13 13:20:16

I wouldn't panic too much, the baby would still be pretty tiny, and if he or she has shifted position, and is kicking somewhere different, that could explain the change. You must be due a scan soon anyway aren't you? So hopefully that will put your mind at rest!

Paradisefound Thu 14-Mar-13 13:22:03

I didn't feel any proper movement until about 25 weeks. No need to monitor kicks until 28 weeks. I really wouldn't worry at this stage, it's just too early. Heartbeat a better measure of how your baby is doing at this stage... Midwife should be checking this. Have you had your 20 week scan?

ExpatAl Thu 14-Mar-13 13:23:54

Personally if I was having a panic I would call the MW smile. The baby is almost certainly hiding somewhere but if you feel something isn't right, call.

Christelle2207 Thu 14-Mar-13 13:27:43

thanks all, I think I'm overreacting tbh. Scan is on Tuesday so not that long away.
Tomorrow I know the mw has a clinic so if still worried will call her and see if she can fit me in for quite hb check. Can't fathom the idea of spending the weekend panicking!

sjupes Thu 14-Mar-13 13:27:44

My first two were early movers, im eighteen weeks with number 3 and it moves for a day then stops for 3 or 4- long enough for me to worry - then suddenly starts again hmm it's annoying but fine so i'm told.

If you are worried more than usual i'd get checked anyway just in case, i'm a regular on the phone to my hospital smile

CareerGirl01 Thu 14-Mar-13 13:43:07

Hi there. I didn't feel DD1 kick till 23/24 weeks. And this time round didnt feel DC2 move - properly - until 22 weeks.

FoofFighter Thu 14-Mar-13 16:26:37

Hi christelle smile

DC 3 here and 18 weeks - I'm same as above, baby will have a few wriggly days then I won't feel anything for a good 4 days. Assume it just tucks itself away somewhere towards the back and I don't feel it, or it's wriggling into placenta so again won't feel it.
No kicks as yet just as you call it rumbles and jiggling.

RhiRhi87 Thu 14-Mar-13 17:31:29

Hey, I'm 20 weeks tomorrow too! I've been feeling exactly the same! Recently started feeling the popping/flicking feeling but only if I lie down somewhere quiet and really concentrate on what I'm feeling. Don't feel it every day either smile got the scan tomorrow. Can't wait! smile x

Christelle2207 Thu 14-Mar-13 17:53:30

thanks for reassurance. I think I may have felt some faint rumbles this afternoon....
thankfully not long to go till scan. Rhirhi best of luck with yours. Are you also EDD 2nd Aug?

RhiRhi87 Thu 14-Mar-13 20:53:27

Thank you smile yes 2nd aug! Dc1 as well. Very exciting, just can't wait to feel 'real kicks!' X

Pocket1 Thu 14-Mar-13 21:00:47

Christelle, I had exactly the same on the day of my 20 week scan. I was so worried having felt nothing all day. But during the scan it was so clear that the baby was wriggling about - so much the sonographer struggled to take all the measurement! And still I could not feel anything!! I was assured that you don't feel anything if the baby is facing the wrong way. So try not to worry.

I'm 23+6 now and have times when the little one is quiet. And times when I am being kicked. A lot. smile

Christelle2207 Thu 14-Mar-13 22:42:38

Think it's just pfb paranoia. Will report back after scan!

Pocket1 Fri 15-Mar-13 20:51:53

Christelle, hope your scan went okay today smile

Christelle2207 Sat 16-Mar-13 15:03:49

Thanks. Not till tues. however have stopped panicking for now because felt quite a bit of rumbling about last night :-)

Christelle2207 Tue 19-Mar-13 09:40:00

hi thanks all scan was perfect have anterior placenta which is why i have not felt as much as others. hope rhirhi yours was ok too. thanks for all reassurance, think i need to relax a bit x

Catchingmockingbirds Tue 19-Mar-13 09:42:39

That's great OP smile

Pocket1 Tue 19-Mar-13 21:31:18

Really great news. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now