Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Type 1 diabetic mums & mums to be damn that dawn phenomenon!

(998 Posts)

New thread ladies smile

Oh I think everyone gets anxious towards the end. There's definitely no point in getting too stressed about it (the feeding) you do have to consider the rest of your family too. Maybe try to keep an open mind, see how you feel after the birth? Do you want to bf? Because if you only want to do it because you think you should then it really isn't worth the stress smile if you will be happier deciding to ff then go for it. I ff dd smile

BonaDea Mon 25-Mar-13 17:40:31

I've done dafne. It is a well put together course but I found it a bit silly as I'd been carb counting, using ratios and correction doses etc for ages anyway. But if you feel like you could use a refresher on the basics it could be good!

We were discharged late morning. I had my first ever panic attack while getting ready - I thought i was desperate to get home but clearly a part of me was worried about it. You lot must think I'm a nutter - two meltdown in one week. Was lying on the bed shivering uncontrollably, crying saying to DH 'do t let them see me like this they'll keep me in!' Weird.

Boobs are now massive and sore so have spent the afternoon in bed with teddy feeding, pumping and snoozing skin to skin. Absolutely bliss!!

We are still cup feeding top ups of ebm. Did anyone else do this? Need to keep going til teddy isn't so jaundiced but it is so restrictive as I'm either feeding him or pumping or cup feeding.

You ladies have been great this week. Thank you xxx

Hopingforno2 Mon 25-Mar-13 17:45:34

Thanks spotty I do/ did want to bf but as the birth approaches memorys of the tears shed trying to with ds and seeing my sister managing to but having to give up due to hormone induced rash and obv worry re my eyes im starting to feel less convinced its the right thing for me but i will try to contact eye people and keep an open mind it may be much much easier than with ds diff baby diff gender etc

Bona how is teddy feeding? Is he still sleepy? I never topped up once we went onto bf ds was jaundiced and needed photo therapy prior to this. Hopefully you won't need to do it for long because pumping makes you really engorged. Maybe worth getting a lactation consultant in a few dats time? Might help to put your mind at ease?

Hopingforno2 Mon 25-Mar-13 18:12:22

bona im glad feeding is going a bit better for you smile i was desperate to get out with ds feeling panicky is pretty normal im already starting to feel it. I dont feel i carb count properly as such tho im ok at judging by looking at what im eating what i will need and i correct already so i guess i am doing it hmm it was the normal earing part that looked appealing i do mostly but feel guilty.

dieciocho Mon 25-Mar-13 20:46:11

bona the feeding/time management/emotional craziness will all get better - I didn't believe it when I got home 10 weeks ago, but it has done. smile Your DH sounds supportive, so that's a massive plus. Fingers crossed you'll get a good Community MW who'll also support and encourage you in any decision you have to make.

Bona - my sympathy! We mix fed DS for months once he came home. He was allowed to BF for an hour per feed, after that I had to unlatch him and we topped him up with a bottle of prescription formula. Because he was so small & prem he wasn't strong enough to take a full BF for ages. He fed every 3 hours (we had to wake him for it, 24/7) and took at least 1 1/2 hrs per feed. Looking back, I have no idea how we coped, but we just did. IYKWIM.

I can also remember the feeling DH and I both had with DD when I was discharged from the hospital - something along the lines of "are they just letting us leave? But we have no idea what we're doing!" grin

Sorry Hoping meant to add:

There's an online version of DAFNE available here if you register on the website. I think it's the Bournemouth diabetes team that have put it together. I've not actually done it, but I have registered...it's the thought that counts, right?!

Hopingforno2 Mon 25-Mar-13 21:34:01

Thanks rue i will register with it, ive admitted before i just end up hungry and really resentful of diabetes if i try to omit carbs and i think i might go mad, im guessing we r all the same but i have why me moments when everyone else just wanders around munching like i want to lol my dad bless him still trys to feed me all of the time i only wish i could say yes

dieciocho Tue 26-Mar-13 07:25:08

I've registered with the Bournemouth online course too, but I have actually looked at the tasks! They're mostly picture tasks along the lines of "Look at these pictures of a banana and a glass of water. Which one has more carbs. and how many units would you inject?" hmm

BonaDea Tue 26-Mar-13 08:45:43

I've also done that online course. It is not that clear to navigate (or wasn't a few years ago when I did it) because there were some more complex / less patronising tasks tucked away in some of the modules. You saying about the pic of the banana diec - one of the things on Dafne I hated was when they made us play with plastic food portions. I felt it was utterly degrading for a bunch of adults (and I told them so!).

spotty thankfully I have a lactation consultant already. She had seen me ante natally to help me with the colostrum expression and came to the hosp twice while we were in. She is coming again tomorrow which is great to work on teddy's latch which is improving but is very pinchy. She's also referred me to a tongue tie person as he has about a 50% tt. Hosp said it was not an issue but I def think it is hindering how well he feeds from me. Finally we're seeing a cranial osteopath as Ted has quite a tight mouth / jaw which again is making it tough for him to latch really well and contributing to the pinching.

My DH has been such a star. He is managing our timetable for feeds and pumping, doing all the cup feeds, sterilising everything, feeding me, making sure i nap and generally being wonderful. I couldn't have wished for better support. grin

Can't wait to drop the pumping and cup feeds - it will mean I'm one hour on and two hours off instead of the other way around. Ted seems to be getting better at feeding from the breast each time so hopefully sorting out the tt and getting to the osteo will make all the difference and let us drop the cup!

Bona that's really good news. I suppose once the tt is cut you'll be able to hopefully stop with the cup feeding? So lovely that your dh is being so involved (especially after reading some of the threads on here hmm)

Ds only woke once again last night shock but is refusing a nap this morning and I want to make a cake!

Hopingforno2 Tue 26-Mar-13 09:32:27

Glad feeding is going better bona so dafne isnt really worth it then? I must admit im not great at carb counting i seem to either over or under estimate esp when i try to do it by the book so to speak i get on better for the moment with my own way but i like the idea of eating more freely it actually says in the faq on dafne website can i really eat what i want, yes with the exception of sugary drinks! Seems too good to be true but it would be great to be free of the food guilt esp when know im thinking eveything i do could/is damaging my eyes so much so my bg has rarely been above 5 since i found out i was low most of last night (yes im aware im a nutcase lol)

Hoping there's an app (and a book you can buy) called Carbs and Cals, that's really useful and shows pics of meals/foods on different sized plates along with how many carbs are in them so it helps you figure out how much you've got. Might be worth looking at rather than DAFNE?

Hopingforno2 Tue 26-Mar-13 13:46:30

Thanks rue il have a look. Still feeling scared about my eyes prior to this i felt fairly confident about adjusting my doses and eating now im paranoid i think the heartburn, restless legs and achey hips after sleeping on 1 side after a while are prob making it all seem 10 times worse but for now its really getting me down sad i know i need to try an push it out for at least a few weeks till baby arrives and things settle down a bit (hopefully i will be too busy to think too much)

If I drive to my next eye appointment will they refuse to do it or will they do it without the drops? I never used to have the stupid drops anyway...

Hopingforno2 Tue 26-Mar-13 18:39:59

Ive never had drops at my routine eye appts tho im thinking when i go to the scary opthamology dept i will sad is this a follow up after baby? Or an annual check spotty

Follow up. I never got the third trimester one has had ds before I had it!

Hopingforno2 Tue 26-Mar-13 18:59:38

You will prob be alright then, how old is ir ds now?

17 weeks yesterday 4 months today eek!

Hopingforno2 Tue 26-Mar-13 19:19:08

wow time just flies in doesnt it! I think it was my 2nd eye screen i joined this thread and i dont know what id do without u all now

It goes too quickly! Last night ds slept 7-4:15 and 4:30-7. I'm just waiting for it to all go wrong!

Hope everything is ok with everyone today smile

BonaDea Wed 27-Mar-13 15:30:11

Spotty - sounds marvellous. Am waking Teddy every three hours then takes an hour to feed (so then two hours til next feed). Tiredness is hitting me in waves!! Mr Bona is spotting me for naps but it doesn't always happen!

Oh don't worry Bona it will get better at least he goes three hourly and doesn't want feeding every 90 minutes grin

dieciocho Wed 27-Mar-13 17:52:26

spotty how do you manage to get F to go back to sleep in just 15 minutes?
V wakes at about 2am or 3am (having gone to sleep at 9pm or 10pm), but then takes AN HOUR to go back to sleep!shock
We check her nappy, I feed her, then...rock her/stroke her tummy/stick a dummy in/whatever it takes to get her back to sleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now