Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Type 1 diabetic mums & mums to be damn that dawn phenomenon!

(998 Posts)

New thread ladies smile

I'm on the mini pill. They won't let me go on the injection (which is what I wanted) due to neuropathy. Ds was conceived with the coil in so that wasn't an option grin

Hopingforno2 Fri 17-May-13 08:46:19

Do u have specific problems with neuropathy spotty? Im wondering if it will be same for me with my eyes then? I got pregnant on microgyn with ds so not overly keen on the pill.

How soon after delivery should you get your first period? Pretty sure im getting my 1st one now sad to add insult to injury i was 5.9 at 3ish am but got up and was 10.2 this morning

With dd it was six weeks for me.

Yeah but not my eyes it's nerve pain in my feet. You might be fine to have it, I loved it when I had it before. Or I was recommended the implant? Our family planning nurse is also the diabetes nurse at our surgery. She offered the coil again but I said no wink

dieciocho Fri 17-May-13 14:39:06

Sorry rue, I've been at work - congratulations, wow, what a whopper grin. I hope you're both doing well.
Last baby for us lot, then. We'll have to re-name our next thread with something diabetic mum-related, rather than diabetic pregnancy-relatedsmile.

dieciocho Fri 17-May-13 14:40:55

Periods? What's one of them? wink I haven't had one since April 2012, any idea when they might return...?
My sister had problems on the implant (she's not T1) - weight gain, spots, scar when they removed it...

Diec I haven't had one since march last year wink who knows when it will come back!

BonaDea Fri 17-May-13 17:46:00

We've used condoms for ages. Normal pill does bad things to my bp and mini pill sent me a bit gaga so it's easiest for us! Hope my period stays away for a long time.

Funny I was just thinking today we should move away from the pregnancy forum when we fill this thread. smile

I had follow up with the dsn today. Funny because they didn't even ask about the birth, the induction, the weight of the baby, bgs during it etc etc. I thought she would! Other than that she just asked about bgs, hypos and dosages and weighed me. Am 10kgs heavier than pre preg (that's 1.5 stone!) shock. Oy.

dieciocho Sat 18-May-13 10:28:29

It'll go bona; I got back into my pre-pregnancy jeans on Easter Day - that was...13 weeks or so after V arrived.
Tried on my when-I'm-having-a-skinny-day jeans this morning - nope, not a chance grin, the button hole was about 3 cms away from the button!

Having a baby in SCBU does wonders for losing that baby weight hmm I wouldn't recommend it though grin

BonaDea Sat 18-May-13 14:35:57

Diec- not sure that I'll even keep my skinny day jeans. Might be too depressing! If I could fit into my other jeans, tho, that would be great!!

God I'm tired. T definitely having a growth spurt. After feeding him first thing today, DH took him for a long walk to let me sleep. He got to the furthest away point, about 2 miles from home, woke and screamed all the way home. DH tried to comfort him but it was no use and he ended up just putting him back in the pram and running for home!! I heard them coming from the bottom of the garden path hmm. He then proceeded to feed feed feed and refused to sleep.

Thankfully he's kipping now which will hopefully mean tonight isn't too much of a nightmare!! Which is just as well as we are hosting our nct class reunion tomorrow lunchtime and are frantically tidying! confused

dieciocho Mon 20-May-13 08:11:18

I hope everyone had a good weekend. Had a 1.3 in the middle of the night staying at M&D's - M woke me and had to feed me b-day cake - yum, cake grin
Rue, are you and Michael home now? I hope all's well.
Is Puds around? I feel like she's not posted for a bit.

Morning smile

Yes, we were discharged on Saturday, midwife came yesterday and all is well, M had lost just under 10% of his birth weight, so she's happy with us for now, but he's a bit orange too so we're keeping an eye on his colour in case he needs lights.

I'm feeling ok for now, BFing is going pretty well but at the toe-curlingly painful latching stage. Lansinoh is doing a fab job at keeping the nips in one piece, long may it continue! grin M was awake most of the night again last night, from 2.30am till about 8am just feeding relentlessly. So I'm knackered but on the plus side dd is off on a school trip all day, DS is at preschool till lunchtime, and I'm chilling/napping on the sofa for the morning.

BonaDea Mon 20-May-13 10:26:00

Rue sounds good. T ended up losing 12% of birthweight which caused a fuss at hosp, plus got v yellow! He didn't need lights in the end.

The community mw was v reassuring and said given c section, diabetes and also yanking T out before he was ready it was no wonder he dropped a lot and had jaundice!

All the feeding will be great for establishing supply and also flushing out the jaundice although you must be knackered!! No idea how you manage with other DCsconfused

BonaDea Mon 20-May-13 10:27:20

P.s woke at 15.1 this am!! Had been 8 in the night and took a couple of units so assume I might have dipped and had a liver dump?

Hopingforno2 Mon 20-May-13 13:32:07

rue glad to hear you are home and both doing well smile

bona im having problems at night too if i go to bed under 5 i wake at 3-4am at 10-11mmol last night i was 5.9 and 13.3 at 4am its really getting to me now and if i miss a meal it shoots right up too sad

BonaDea Mon 20-May-13 22:34:25

Hoping sounds like you need more levemir. If it goes up because you are missing a meal I'd say that's because you are relying on the novo you take with your meal to keep you lower...

How long did it take your LOs to regain their birth weight please? And what was the pattern they took re weight gain?

The midwife came round today to weigh DS2, she's mildly concerned as he's still losing weight (has stayed static since Tuesday anyway), has a bit of jaundice, and green poo rather than yellowy. He's lost 10% of birth weight almost exactly now. She's back on Saturday but was talking about having to top up after feeds with a bottle etc, which I don't want to do.

Oh no rue! Ds didn't gain for weeks! Babies if diabetic mums need to find their lines....how often is he feeding? Can you express after each feed and use that to top up? How close is he to the line on the jaundice chart? Not sure about green poo. I would post in bf topic. I hate the way mw are so quick to suggest topping up.

In SCBU they were giving ds 30ml every hour and he still wasn't upping his weight if that reassures at all

I've just looked and it was three weeks. The thing with top ups is it can be such a vicious circle especially when he's so young

He's feeding pretty often - I tend to wake him in the day every 2.5hrs or so if he's not waking himself, then demand overnight though he currently cluster feeds between about 2-5am hmm

I think his jaundice is getting better - he looks less yellow/orange to me now than he did at the weekend, and his poo is (I think!) changing gradually to be more mustard-y. He's only a week old today, but I'll express a bit after each feed and use it to top up the next feed (IYSWIM) and see how we get on I think.

Also I still have 40ml of colostrum in the freezer, so I'll squirt some of that into each top up feed, hopefully that'll help too since it's meant to be the high calorie stuff.

Thanks.

BonaDea Fri 24-May-13 03:25:42

Rue - we lost 12% of birth weight and it was 3 or 4 weeks til he was back to birth weight. However, since then he has gained in leaps and bounds and is leaping back up the centiles. I had the top up pressure in hosp particularly re jaundice.

He had 2 or 3 formula top ups BY CUP then we were topping up with ebm, again by cup until he stopped losing and started gaining. We were doing that when discharged at 6 days.

Thankfully, community midwife was far more realistic. Diabetic mother, baby brought out early and section were all going to make it likely he'd lose at first. 'No wonder' she said and encouraged me to drop the top ups as they were running me ragged (by the time I'd fed a sleepy baby every two hours, expressed and cup fed I had half an hour off then had to start again!). After that it seemed so much easier.

My suggestion would be to feed every two hours if you can, waking him if nec and keeping him awake by stripping, changing, feet tickling etc. you might be able to avoid top ups.

If you can't avoid it, ask mw for some of the special cups to use to give him ebm.

Btw, am sure we were still on green pops by a week. She sounds a bit hysterical to me!!

Rue you must be exhausted. Bona gives good advice.

Bona how are you getting on? Ds has started sleeping better the last 3/4 nights. Last night he did 7-02:00-5:45 and I'm just about to put him back down shock

BonaDea Fri 24-May-13 18:51:01

Hi spotty. Sleeping still not going too well!

Getting him down at 7.30 or 8 and have introduced a dream feed at 10.30. But it has had no effect so far. He still seems to want to wake around 1am (have been able to resettle til 2ish some nights but often he is mumbling and moaning by this point so not like I'm getting any kip!). He was doing 8-1 before the dream feed!

I do think he settles faster but then he's up again at 3 / 4 and sometimes he won't settle again after that feed!

Tempted to drop the dream feed and see what happens - at least then I could go to sleep at 9 some nights and get 4 hours in! But everyone seems to recommend it! He takes it well and doesn't wake up...

Have been looking at a few of the Gina ford aspects - not cc - to do with making sure he doesn't nap too long in the day. Some people have said they have been able to incorporate some parts of her routines but it seems all or nothing to me!

Any advice gratefully received thanks

BonaDea Fri 24-May-13 18:52:56

P.s spotty - your night sounds pretty good to me! Remind me hoe old?

Plus, great if he feeds so fast - about 10 mins? We're still at least half an hour amid often longer!

Hmm well I did gina ford with dd and it worked like a dream, she slept through at 14 weeks BUT she was ff and it's a whole lot different.... Wrt naps we follow the two hour rule and try (!) to do the EASY routine. Today and yesterday ds has had three naps but only 30 minutes each hmm

Gina ford naps would be (roughly) 9-10, 12-2, 4-5. Ds does this of his own accord on a good day so if you can get him to do it then great smile

I actually think you're getting lots of sleep! Ds was two-three hourly until four nights ago and he's six months almost... You could always try a dream feed at nine then go to bed, if he's not waking he will still take it and hopefully you can get a good chunk of sleep I did that when ds was smaller...or go to bed at 8 every few nights to catch up. It's so much harder when they don't settle isn't if? Have you tried him on his tummy?

Sorry if I'm babbling on phone so can't be bothered to read back wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now