Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Type 1 diabetic mums & mums to be damn that dawn phenomenon!

(998 Posts)

New thread ladies smile

dieciocho Sun 12-May-13 17:10:59

Did he take the feeds spotty? I sort of assumed that reflux, silent or otherwise, would mean a baby wouldn't be all that keen on food.
Does he possett after every feed?
Does he prefer being upright?

Never possetts. Never sick. Yep fed both times. More often than not he's really fussy when feeding, pulling away when latched on/un latching etc. he's always hated being cradled, had to be sitting up in your arms from weeks old. Sneezes, hiccups, dribbles (more than normal), only settles on tummy, feeds frequently, happy for small amounts of time and then screams blue murder until he falls asleep. Often comfort sucks though.

Excuse my horrendous punctuation blush ds has screamed all day today I'm exhausted.

BonaDea Mon 13-May-13 01:39:54

Spotty, don't worry we don't just love you for your punctuation!

Sounds like reflux could be at the bottom of what's going on. I definitely think it will be worth exploring and won't so any harm! Good luck - pain in the ass to deal with, but at least you can deal with it if you know!

dieciocho Mon 13-May-13 07:19:17

V has always had hiccups and sneezes A LOT, but GP said no reflux.
But that combo of symptoms does sound reflux-like.
I've heard about pulling away a lot and frequent small feeds at the start of teething due to the pain of the cheeks against the gums during sucking...

Aragh, woke at 17.1 this am. Massive correction/breakfast dose. Yuck.

BonaDea Mon 13-May-13 08:13:26

Same here on sneezes and hiccoughs plus ds seems quite sicky, but no other symptoms for us either and he never cries or fusses at the breast...

Diec- yuck indeed. I tested at 2 ish wand was 10-something so hope my correction dose worked or I would've been the same...

dieciocho Mon 13-May-13 10:39:43

Understood sneezing was normal for cs babies to clear the pipes that weren't cleared in birth canal, but this is ridiculous - 4 months on and she still sneezes about 10 times a day!
She often had hiccups in the womb, so was warned she'd be a big hicupper in real life - and she is, although it was after every feed and is now only once or twice a day.

BonaDea Mon 13-May-13 10:50:10

Tee hee. Between the sneezes, farts and hiccoughs young Ted is quite the noisy boy!

I was 11.1 on waking. Boo. hmm

Hopingforno2 Mon 13-May-13 11:27:57

In the same boat here sad had a awful day yesterday bg wise was at a kids partie dipped to 2.4 had a few naughty things to bring it back up got distractred never had lunch so no insulin and by 6.30pm was the highest ever 21.0!!!!! Corrected massivly waited to have dinner and was still 18.1 caved n ate as was starving but went down to 3.9 hmm

I've got my hba1c coming up. I'm dreading it blush

Went to HV but it wasn't my usual one and she suggested weaning (surprise surprise) as he feeds quite frequently she reckons all the liquid in his tummy is probably causing reflux type pain confused

Anyway he's 24 weeks and 14lb8 has dropped five lines since last weighed seven weeks ago...

BonaDea Mon 13-May-13 18:55:13

When had you been thinking of introducing solids? Another month or so?

never grin I really don't know. He's six months in two weeks but I just don't think he's ready! I have given him some purée a few times and he did like it but he still has a strong tongue thrust and can't sit up etc

BonaDea Mon 13-May-13 21:12:34

Well, my motto is: if in doubt, ignore the HV!

dieciocho Tue 14-May-13 07:47:22

Woke at 17.1 for second day running wtf?
Urgh.

spotty, trust yourself - you've spent more time with F than anyone else and you've done all this before. smile

BonaDea Tue 14-May-13 08:47:44

How strange Diec! Have you done a 2am test to see what is going on. I over corrected a high in the night, woke hypo and am now back on track. God I so wish I didn't have to deal with this too sometimes!

Think DS is having a growth spurt. I feel distinctly chewed upon with the amount of feeding that has been happening! Although thrush seems to be gone and latch much better I wouldn't say bf'ing is 100% pain free for me but fine when on usual regularity. When he is constantly eating, though, it does become a bit tender!

dieciocho Tue 14-May-13 09:34:07

No, no, please don't make me get up at 2am bona! Now V sleeps for 7ish hours and I'm back at work, I refuse to get up in the middle of the night for anything! (Having said that, DP got up at midnight last night to re-settle her with a dummy. I didn't hear a thing - totally zonked!)

I'm probably eating too much before bed - bedtime readings are generally 4ish, so I eat to protect myself during the night, I suppose.

I'm glad things are improving for you and T with feeding, bona. I don't know how you non-nipple shield people manage - I can still feel V's hard gums chomping away even with a shield on! shock

Bona when ds was having a growth spurt I used to go back to lansinoh. Even though I didn't have any cracks or anything I found it helped with the initial pain. He's still small it will definitely keep getting better smile

BonaDea Tue 14-May-13 14:17:45

Diec - don't blame you for not getting up. I sure as hell wouldn't if I wasn't up already!

Spotty - thanks for reassuring me! I've dug out the lansinoh- has stopped using it with the various thrush creams I was using but can't hurt!

Ds just went 3.5 hours shock also the reason my pump wasn't working was because I hadn't put the membrane back in blush

BonaDea Tue 14-May-13 15:40:23

Hmm. I melted part of my pump in the microwave last week. D'oh!

Oh no! Mine won't go in the microwave it's a right pain!

BonaDea Tue 14-May-13 17:12:51

Yep, not sure how I managed it. Got a full tutorial from DH afterwards.

Managed to pump 120ml this avo so hopefully DH can do a feed this evening. Perhaps we'll try a dream feed. LO has been insatiable this afternoon, but at least he's asleep now so not actually eating.

Just need to work out how to put the rain cover on the pram so that I can go to Waitrose for some dinner shock

grin better to struggle with it in doors than out in the rain!

We're having chorizo spaghetti and garlic bread mmmm

I haven't expressed in ages ds probably won't take a bottle now!

BonaDea Tue 14-May-13 18:59:00

Definitely! Your dinner sounds lovely - chorizo improves anything I think!

I find it soooo hard to find the time or inclination to pump but have given myself a talking to. Although right now I don't want to leave T I don't want to end up feeling trapped. Plus my best friend (no kids) will kill me if I miss her hen weekend in August because I can't leave him. blush

Bona when I've pumped I usually block feed on one side three times and on the third feed pump from the other side if that makes sense?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now