Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Type 1 diabetic mums & mums to be damn that dawn phenomenon!

(998 Posts)

New thread ladies smile

BonaDea Thu 02-May-13 17:56:15

7 hours!!! When did she start doing that and how did you manage it?!

I'm still at the stage of forcing naps- car or pram ride am and sling pm otherwise evenings are overtired misery for all!!

So am I Bona grin a good night is getting a 3 hour stretch!

BonaDea Thu 02-May-13 18:10:41

Glad I'm not alone!! Must must must start expressing regularly but am either out, feeding or wearing the baby!

I've completely stopped expressing I just don't have the time. Ds feeds every two hours in the day.

I'm probably going to start introducing formula once he hits six months anyway which is only a few weeks away shock

BonaDea Thu 02-May-13 19:02:47

Cannot believe he is almost 6 months spotty!! Where has the time gone?!

I keep telling myself that if I manage 6 months I'll be chuffed although I know it is really the minimum you're meant to do! Before having DS I thought I'd feed for a year but did not know how hard it would be!!

I would like to keep the night feeds going and once he's going through (Ha Ha) a morning one if he will allow but we'll see smile

BonaDea Fri 03-May-13 00:26:11

Snap, spotty. Seems a long way off at the moment though!!

dieciocho Fri 03-May-13 14:22:53

Re: longer nights, I'd read that babies can only sleep that long once they weigh 5-6kgs (tummy can hold enough food to get them through) and pretty much to the day that she reached 5kgs, V started going 7 hours.

She feeds at 18:30ish, she naps for an hour or so, she has a bath at 20:30ish, I feed her at 21:00ish, she's asleep by 22:00ish (yeah, ok, we know it's a bit late) = she sleeps until 05:30ish. Done wink.

Urgh, hypo central over here - 2 big ones yesterday, so I was dead tired by about 19:00, then one at work this am. Bleurgh. Too busy to be tired!

BonaDea Fri 03-May-13 15:46:17

Well that gives me hope! T weighed in at 4.4 kg this morning so maybe only 0.6 to go?!

Bummer about the hypos. Any obvious cause?!

Ds's over 6kg...

dieciocho Fri 03-May-13 18:00:43

The only thing I can think of is the temperatures...

Hopingforno2 Sat 04-May-13 10:42:32

Im sooo sick of these bg and just being diabetic!! Yesterday apart from just b4 bed i was high all day woke up at 14.7!! Was 5.9 two hours prev. Last night i dipped before bed ate and was 3.6 but figured it would rise a little anyway well as mum had ellie overnigt i slept thro and woke up at 13.6 sad took an extra 3u on top of my breakfast dose checked 90mins later still 13.2 so have taken another 2u but expect chances r i will be low before lunch so wtf do i do??

BonaDea Sat 04-May-13 21:35:00

Hoping, that sounds hard.

I guess the overnight could have had two causes - either the dreaded dawn phenomenon meant you kept rising from 3.6 up or you went low and had a liver dump.

I'd say next time, don't go to bed low. Always treat the hypo then you can at least rule out having gone too low and rebounding high again

Fwiw, if I have a high in the morning I find it hard to fix because I am so resistant to insulin. Did you level out during the day?

How is Ellie and did the anti-D's kick in yet?smile

Hopingforno2 Mon 06-May-13 12:40:37

bona i went low before lunch that day! Have upped mu night levemir to 16u n was 3.6 this am om ok with that lol no doubt i will have a high at some point tho x

dieciocho Wed 08-May-13 07:02:32

Rue must be counting down the days now - when was she going in? 16th or something?

It must be soon. How exciting! I've been a bit low the past few days I think it must be the heat though. Oh well I had Ben & Jerrys in the fridge grin

Morning! Still hanging on in here grin

Last growth scan was yesterday, all looks ok - blood flow, fluid levels etc. Guesstimated weight is currently 8lbs 1oz, so I guess he'll be getting on for 9lbs when he comes out, assuming they're remotely correct shock. Pre-op is on Friday, final antenatal (and possible admission for steroids - still arguing about that one...) next Tuesday. Section on Thursday, so 8 days to go grin

My nesting instinct kicked in over the BH weekend so we got lots done (except DH hasn't done the charity shop & tip runs as promised hmm so I'm surrounded by boxes waiting to be moved, grr). Crib is all ready to go after we found some bolts for it, baby clothes are washed, just need to put bedding on crib and finish packing hospital bag, I think.

EEK!

BonaDea Wed 08-May-13 10:07:21

Rue how exciting! Remind me, do you know what you're having?

Normal service resumed with the weather here I see. God knows how I'll get T out in the pram for his naps if it's going to rain the next week or so per the forecast!!

We're told it's probably a boy...

Who clearly is going to take after his parents and be generally uncooperative throughout life if the scans are anything to go by grin

And yes, it's cold and raining here, too - have you got a raincover for your pram? Mine used to love being out in the rain, I think they like the sound of it landing on the cover.

dieciocho Wed 08-May-13 10:45:25

Yep, pushchair rides now closed here too. We have a raincover - can't work it our though! It won't stay on however we try to attach it.
Those degrees weren't worth it grin.

Probably a boy? I thought people were pretty sure. I didn't ask so I'm only guessing at that!

dieciocho Wed 08-May-13 10:51:33

Oh bona/*spotty*, read something today which said that only 25% of British babies sleep through by 12 months shock, just to cheer you up on this wet, grey day. Sorry.
Although, "through" could well mean "12-hours" - I don't expect 12 hours for years; 7 is good enough.
I'll admit that the last 2 nights have not been our usual "ish" routine - Monday up at 3am for a feed, Tuesday refused to go to sleep, screamed the place down and only shut up when I gave her an extra feed at 10:30pm.

That's your sleep regression there diec wink

People never say it but generally it's a ff/bf thing. Any ff baby I know has slept through by three months, including dd, and any bf baby hasn't slept through until they stopped bf. always exceptions obviously but it's a lie ff babies don't sleep better...

Spotty my two are back to front then! DD (BF) slept through 10.30-7 from just before 8 weeks old and went 7-7 from around 5 months I think (can't remember!). DS (mix fed) still doesn't reliably sleep through, and he's 3 shock. Horses for courses really.

BonaDea Wed 08-May-13 15:25:07

Wonder if it could be a boy / girl thing??

Um, question about development. DS was dragged out 2 weeks early and given the unco-operative state of my cervix I reckon he would have cooked beyond his due date given the chance.

I think he's a bit late to smile. He's 7 weeks and one day. He has smiled at us socially I am pretty sure - in response to funny faces or kissing his nose or whatever but this isn't yet reliable and I feel we have to work on it to get a reaction. I'm telling myself that although not officially premature he might be a week or two behind. Am I kidding myself? Should I worry yet?

Bona they say babies smile at 46 weeks smile

We had the odd smiles from ds at 10 ish weeks (5 corrected) and by two weeks later he was smiling loads.

A couple of social smiles is definitely counted as smiling smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now