Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Type 1 diabetic mums & mums to be damn that dawn phenomenon!

(998 Posts)

New thread ladies smile

Hopingforno2 Wed 24-Apr-13 08:25:11

Well at 4am i was 10.8 hmm why oh why wont it just behave! I took a 4u correction and still 7.2 at 8am ffs last night that would have brought me down to like 4 its getting extremely frustrating!

mylittlepuds Wed 24-Apr-13 09:17:55

Hey mrs. I know it's easier said than done but try and go easy in yourself re. sugars. You've had your nine months of torture and I promise a few months of slightly higher (or even much higher) sugars won't impact your eyes I shouldn't think.

dieciocho Wed 24-Apr-13 15:07:07

Kind of feel guilty re: skin-to-skin, like it's something that only newborn babies/new mummies should "indulge" in, sorry that sounds as though I've been horribly conditioned by social attitudes to nudity, doesn't it! grin

Oh, right - high bg = rubbish milk, low bg = not enough, thanks for that bona.

Hoping could be that your ratios are different at different times of day - mine definitely are.

mylittlepuds Wed 24-Apr-13 16:24:48

Oooh I still love skin to skin with my toddler when he lets me - he's two!! I have to sneak it in though after his bath and then I'm kicked pretty quickly off grin

Oooh I'm worried now that vie been giving Pudlet rubbish milk! She's totally fine and putting on weight...my levels have been shocking though. I am trying hard to sort it out though. What do you all think?

BonaDea Wed 24-Apr-13 23:01:10

Oops - should perhaps have kept my pearls of wisdom from the nurse to myself!!

She did say that aiming for 4-10 was fine so by high she doesn't mean 'above 7'. My levels have been v unpredictable and to be honest I prob only test 3 or 4 times a day. Of course that is not great with the thrush as it thrives on sugar!!

Puds - as far as I can tell the acid test for any question on bf'ing is : is the baby pooping and gaining weight. If so, alls fine!

DS had his first bottle of expressed milk tonight and took to it like a pro. He only had about 50ml as I had barely any time to express but prob not a bad thing as he had bm before and after. Felt surprisingly emotional watching DH feed him. Although bf'ing has been hard I guess I have still enjoyed feeding my wee boy. Anyway, hoping that a late bottle will allow me more sleep and that in the next few months dh and i might be able to go out on a date!

mylittlepuds Thu 25-Apr-13 01:05:53

Oooh a date! <stares hopefully into the furure> That sounds fab Bona! I felt the same when DS (finally) took a bottle...although that was after 10 loooooooooooooong bloody months!!!

How many weeks is he now Bona?

So - re high levels and BFing - I've been brave and done some Googling. There doesn't seem to be a medical consensus on this! It's a bit of new ground I think so it's helpful your DSN has given some Bona.

From what I've been able to get from forums is that T1s seem to feed through highs. I'm glad as I've been constantly high. It's starting to get to me now...

I found one snippet of info from a doctor but it just said bfing is not contraindicated for diabetics but to keep an eye on levels due to changing insulin requirements. It also said that the amount of sugar in BM is a quarter of the mother's. Good job...

BonaDea Thu 25-Apr-13 06:11:57

Tee hee puds. I feel the same about the prospect of a date. As long as there is no hanky panky, eh? Just good clean fun!! wink

DS is 5 weeks. Mw said there was a 'window of opportunity' between 4-6 weeks so I played it safe and opted for the middle. Now just have to keep it up, even if just a little bottle each day.

Oh, in case I wasn't clear about it - I haven't ever considered not feeding while high or low. Gotta do what you gotta do! I also assume that it all comes out in the wash so to speak so that even if on one feed the milk is 'less good' because of high bg the next time it will be fine (similar to if you have a glass of wine before one feed I suppose). I think there is a good article on Kelly mom about it.

Hopingforno2 Thu 25-Apr-13 08:38:39

Ok my levels are really getting to me now i didnt feel like having dinner last night (had a very big lunch out) but was 12.8 when i tested around 8pm so took 5u dropped to 1.9 by 10.30pm and went to bed at 3.9 got up for 3am feed at 8.7 so took 4u and woke up at 14.2!!! No ketones tho so i assume it hasnt been that high for long??

dieciocho Thu 25-Apr-13 08:57:43

Bona, a friend of mine employed the same system with her DS when she was bf-ing - her husband fed him an expressed bottle last thing at night to give her an earlier night - worked out really well for them.

1/4 of mother's sugar level? Ok, good to know. Sometimes I try to lower my sugars by feeding her - only works if she's actually hungry though grin

mylittlepuds Thu 25-Apr-13 09:00:41

Hi Hoping - I'm similar at mo. levels all over the joint!! However I'm being really careful to avoid lows at mo after scary quick drop the other day. 1.9 is pretty low Hoping so be careful with those corrections!

I really wouldn't give yourself a hard time about it. You don't have that responsibility now of your DD being inside you so I'd really let up and slowly bring things back in. I'm having more or less the same thing to eat every day and if my dose doesn't cover it I'm popping it up by 1u at a time.

If it makes you feel any better i've been running between about 11 and 18 for the last three days! No ketones. The only reason I'm slightly stressed about it is the milk issue but I think it's fine.

I hope I haven't come across as telling you off grin but you have enough
to stress about at the mo. They will come back into line in a few weeks but don't worry about it yet. flowers

BonaDea Thu 25-Apr-13 09:17:18

Hi hoping - sounds to me thAt you prob over-corrected the night time 8.7, then had a liver dump which left you high.

4u to correct a high of 8.7 seems a lot to me. I work on the basis that 1u drops me 3 mmol but of course everyone is different. I might not have correct for an 8.7 at all, not in the middle of the night!

Anyway , as the others said dont fret too much about this right now, you have enough on your plate smileJust do your best and it will settle down.

mylittlepuds Thu 25-Apr-13 12:35:28

Me too - 1u = 3mmol

mylittlepuds Thu 25-Apr-13 12:35:45

For a correction dose I mean

I agree with the others, I'd have given 1u correction, which brings me (when not upduffed) down about 3.5mmol.

Actually, I wouldn't have bothered correcting at that time of night either shock

mylittlepuds Thu 25-Apr-13 13:02:02

I wouldn't have bothered either...oh Hoping we're ganging up now grin Honestly though - I'm sure this levels all over thing happened after DS too.

I'm 1u=2mmol

dieciocho Thu 25-Apr-13 17:34:04

I would've corrected 8.7mmol during the night to fend off the evil dawn phenomenon.
However, I would only have corrected by 1 or 2 units, as 1u generally brings me down by 3mmols, like puds and bona.

That said, relax hoping, don't be too hard on yourself, you're going through a lot right now.

Hopingforno2 Thu 25-Apr-13 19:05:04

Im trying to relax and let it go but always have the worry in the back of my mind that if my eyes get worse its my fault for not getting my bg straight under control (yes more guilt) myb my corrections are too big but sometimes it works out 1u=1mmol others obv brings it down by more im chasing my tail again i think sad

mylittlepuds Thu 25-Apr-13 19:18:22

I know you've had a few eye issues Hoping - and I realise this is VERY easy for me to say but when I had an eye freak out at the beginning of pregnancy (was seeing double - unconnected to diabetes) I was told that it's years of control issues that lead to the serious problems. This stage will only last a month or so while your hormones are out of whack. Each day inch toward getting things steadier but don't berate yourself. Today slightly better for me but only slightly (I've had a few hours in range as oppose to all day out of range!). Hoping that tomorrow will be even better :-)

I've been in range all day but am now low after having 8u for a plate of pasta, garlic bread and a crunchie.... Must be the heat and hot bath I just had!

It's been 20 degrees here today! When we first have warm weather I always forget what it does to my insulin requirements

mylittlepuds Thu 25-Apr-13 19:45:34

Mmmmm food grin

Ooh hot weather. So looking forward. I'm so happeeeeeeeee! I keep thinking something awful is going to happen and ruin it all. Is that normal behaviour or my anxiety?

Your anxiety puds smile

I don't suffer with anxiety and didn't have pnd with dd but having ds was such a good experience and I was sooo much happier after having him and just felt for him what it took me ages to feel with dd if that makes sense?

I've got toothache sad

BonaDea Thu 25-Apr-13 20:06:46

I'm loving the weather too. It hit 22 degrees here in London! We're having Chinese tonight which is usually pretty bad bg wise but who cares?!?

Bad luck on the toothache. Dentist tomorrow??

mylittlepuds Thu 25-Apr-13 20:08:52

Totally makes sense! I think I probably had a similar experience but in a far more extreme way. Are you planning a #3 Spotty? My experience do far has not made me think it'd be a disaster. After DS I thought never again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now