Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Type 1 diabetic mums & mums to be damn that dawn phenomenon!

(998 Posts)

New thread ladies smile

I do long acting in legs and novo in tummy!!

Can't help with the dropping I'm afraid but unless it's a regular occurrence I don't see any reason to panic!

mylittlepuds Mon 22-Apr-13 03:28:12

Thanks Spotty. I do realise I sound like a total nutter - do normal diabetics panic like this with a rapid drop? Or have faith that their body will sort them out of worst comes to the worst?

I need to work out if this panic is my health anxiety or if it's warranted.

mylittlepuds Mon 22-Apr-13 03:28:54

Hoping please post - worried about you x

BonaDea Mon 22-Apr-13 04:35:33

In the grand scheme of things that sounds like a scary drop. However unless it was happening often and/ or this time had been a closer call (eg you were found collapsed etc) I personally wouldn't be losing sleep... So, it might be that this is part of your anxiety issues rather than completely rational concern.

Meantime, if you think this might be bf'ing related, drop your daytime lev a few units or reduce your dinner time ratio perhaps? smile

I don't know puds I'm the world worst diabetic blush whenever I've had a rapid drop or a hypo that takes ages to go back up it's always been a one off

dieciocho Mon 22-Apr-13 07:31:28

Interesting idea about arms during pregnancy - one ante-natal consultant told me to avoid my arms during pregnancy, maybe because the insulin acts so quickly.

Hmm, puds, that is a rapid drop, but if it's not frequent, don't panic.

I have perma-lumps on my tummy, which were of great interest to a previous consultant who was doing a PhD in them (booorrring grin). He didn't provide me with any advice on how to get rid of them. Maybe we can't.

Diec I saw someone with then on embarrassing bodies once and they referred them for liposuction! I could do with that on more than just my tummy though blush

Hopingforno2 Mon 22-Apr-13 08:24:00

Hi ladies sorry i dissappeared googling was just making me worse! And been getting headaches alot which i presume is a side affect of the tabs.

Im feeling a bit better tho not back to normal and i think next week when oh goes back to work and i dont get my cpl hours sleep in the afternoon may become a low point but trying not to dwell on it.

Diabetes wise i feel so out of control sad i seem to either be low or high cannot hit a happy medium and its doing my head in esp since i need it to be ok for my eyes! Added to that im being forced to change doctors (should have years ago when i moved but like my diabetes nurse) so in middle of that with no consultant care in sight as yet.

Glad to have you back hoping. We might be able to help you with your levels.... Is there any pattern? Do you think you're yo-yo ing? What's your first morning bm? I always find that's the best place to start.

Hopingforno2 Mon 22-Apr-13 13:41:16

No pattern that i can see execpt i drop before lunch most days and then at night sometimes pre dinner so prob levemir however i put it down and have highs sad not been eating at all healthy which wont help but dont have the time (excuses i know) have reduced both novo and levemir by 50% since delivery. Thoughts??

Are you on one or two doses of levemir? Don't worry about the healthy eating for now I had a giant cookie for breakfast blush also what is your levemir dosage now compared to pre pregnancy? It's still early days and your hormones are all over the place but I agree it's your levemir that needs changing

mylittlepuds Mon 22-Apr-13 13:51:43

grin giant cookie for breakfast

mylittlepuds Mon 22-Apr-13 19:28:34

Lovely to hear from you Hoping. How are you feeling emotions wise?

Can high levels affect breast milk?......

Hopingforno2 Mon 22-Apr-13 20:02:03

Im still doing 2 doses of levemir, should i be changing back to 1? I was on lantus pre pregnancy. I have halfed it since delivery then taken it down by 2u at night but had a 12.4 at 3am hmm then back up n wake up at 3.3

I was 2.2 about an hour before lunch today then 8.2 pre dinner and usually wake up around 8 or 9 the best ive been running it getting 2 consecutive readings of 6.5 its sooo frustating!!

Emotion wise im a bit more stable i think only feel really down in middle of night or if ellie has had a very bad night tho im dreading next week when oh goes back to work at moment he has been giving me a chance to sleep in the afternoon

If you we're only on one dose pre pregnancy I think you're supposed to go back, even if it's a different type. I've always split so not 100% sure....

Can your mil or someone come round and help you? Does your ds go to her one day a week? Dd goes to mil one day a week and even though I rarely sleep (because ds doesn't!) it's a much needed break!

dieciocho Tue 23-Apr-13 09:08:50

Good to see you again hoping.

I went back to a single dose of long acting about 1 week after V. arrived, so maybe you should stop splitting it.
I never got the hang of my sugars in the first 2 months, honestly, I was rubbish/it was rubbish.
Even now my pre-breakfasts levels vary massively day to day (13mmol today blush), but consultant said it was more important to wipe out the hypos for the baby's safety and to worry about highs later on.

Hopingforno2 Tue 23-Apr-13 09:41:26

Thanks diec

Ok so i was on lantus before though and got changed to levemir which has been a split dose since i started so totally confused about what to do and as im changing doctor practices i need to wait a week then make a 'new patient' appt with a nurse when what i really want is an appt at the hospital with a consultant. The highest its been last day or so is 9.2 thats not awful right? Just paranoid it will affect my eyes sad

Not awful at all. Levemir is better known in pregnancy which is why you would have been changed, I was on lantus before getting pregnant with dd.

BonaDea Tue 23-Apr-13 12:35:51

Completely agree with the the others that you should go back to doing just what you were pre-preg and make changes from there. That is the only sensible starting point otherwise you are just guessing!!

dieciocho Tue 23-Apr-13 19:58:58

I was exactly the same hoping - Lantus before pregnancy, changed to Levemir at about 12 weeks.
No, 9.2 is absolutely fine.
Remind me, have you managed to bf?

Hopingforno2 Tue 23-Apr-13 20:21:37

No havent managed to breastfeed sad feel guilty for it but just couldnt handle it alongside ds and the pnd. Have u changed back?

Hopingforno2 Tue 23-Apr-13 21:24:53

Ok so had a totally crappy 12.8 about 2 hours before dinner, took 6u correction thinking 1u to bring down by 1mmol same as pre preg but was 4.9 pre dinner not awful but im now 1.9 dont feel it tho had an entire dairy milk waiting to see how it goes now!

mylittlepuds Wed 24-Apr-13 01:37:29

Hoping be really careful re your doses - mine have halved now so in on just 0.5 per 10g carbs. 1u correction really brings things down now.

How was everyone else's levels after birth. I let mine go wild for a week but have now tried to reign it in only finding it v difficult!!! I'm now very rarely in range. I'm not really bothered for myself as I'll crack it eventually and I'm not symptomatic but I'm concerned about my breast milk being too sugary?! I daren't even Google it! Am I being silly? Pudlet seems totally fine.

mylittlepuds Wed 24-Apr-13 01:49:38

Also had everyone who's had their babies been having skin to skin? I treat myself last night with Pudlet and it was divine grin Their skin is like velvet! Must do it more often as it's just lovely. She did widdle all over me though!

BonaDea Wed 24-Apr-13 03:11:53

Puds - was just thinking I haven't done skin to skin since hosp which is stilly really. Must do it before he gets too big (tho will be leaving a nappy on him methinks).

As for levels and bm. Dsn told me that the 'quality' of milk is affected by high levels and the quantity by low...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now