Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Fab fit mums to be - anyone fancy starting a fitness/activity support thread

(198 Posts)
CareerGirl01 Tue 12-Mar-13 16:21:43

Seems there are a few of us wanting to stay active during our pregnancies. How about a non-judgement place where we can support each other; from the walkers to the runners- big/small etc?!

CareerGirl01 Sat 29-Jun-13 19:21:50

Baby is 7 weeks old now - just getting back into things but avoiding any ab work - join me here http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/sports_and_exercise/1784062-Fabulous-and-fit-to-be-new-mums?msgid=39995836#39995836

Woodifer Thu 27-Jun-13 08:37:48

Claire They are probably just thinking "weight lifting" and not understanding what body pump is. And as often with pregnancy - erring on the side of caution.

There was also a theory that vigorous exercise could divert blood flow/nutrients/ oxygen away from the baby to your exercising muscles (but further research indicates that for moderate to vigorous exercise this is not the case).

I think pump is fine - for me as I list above without lunges or jumping (or crunches) - but there is more risk of hurting yourself when you're pregnant.

Personally I avoid spinning at mo as I am not good at not trying too hard (IYSWIM) - and find it a bit hot. I am still doing lots of outside cycling.

Body combat - I've not done - but I think it involves kick moves that I would avoid (that again other people would find fine)

Body balance - you need to research what you should and shouldn't do with respect to abdominal exercises.

Clairea82 Wed 26-Jun-13 18:50:15

ooh can I join too? Been trying to work out what I should do, as finding advice really misleading!

I used to go gym 6 times a week and did bodypump, bodycombat, spinning, bodybalance, and swimming. Not been managing more than once a week due to sickness but now starting to feel well enough to get back to it. Have really missed it!

Mentioned this to Dr and to midwife though who advised only to be doing swimming or going for walks. When I mentioned pump, she suggested sitting and lifting some cans of baked beans instead.... seriously!

I always thought it was good to exercise when pregnant, so why are professionals advising against it?

Woodifer Wed 26-Jun-13 08:35:06

Hi pinkfizz I'm doing 1 or 2 body pump classes a week. There are some leaflets online about modifications you can do for pregnancy.

1) Lying on back
I have my bench on 3 risers at head end and two risers at foot end for lying down exercises. (Note: general advice is for not to lie flat on your back as you get bigger, as weight of baby (in small proportion of women) could press on major vein and cause you to pass out. Risk is reduced when you are moving your limbs, especially legs as you are aiding the circulation - if you pass out someone should roll you on to your left side - but really you must know if you can lie on your back or if you are uncomfortable/feel dizzy).

2) Avoiding separation of vertically running abdominal muscles (diastasis recti)
As your bump gets bigger the abdominal muscles that you use for crunches come under strain - so you should avoid crunches (anything where you lift your head/ shoulders) - for ab track I do leg lowers (like relase 85 but without the crunches and without the chest weight), I also go on hands and knees and do pelvic tilts and supermans (draw in belly buttons and lift opposite hand and leg). If you google transverse abdominus (TVA) exercises - these are what you should focus on. I do plank but not side plank now (though I think I did early on - see how it feels). Also - be careful sitting up from lying down bench work - ideally you should roll to one side to sit up - not really practical when holding bar - I use weight of bar to "pull" me up IYSWIM, or you could ask friend to take it off you before you sit up more sideways.

3) Protecting your pelvis
I had pelvis issues (PGP/SPD) last pregnancy - I have avoided it this pregnancy by stopping running soon as I found out - but I don't lunge! And I dont jump (squat jumps or the jumps on and off the bench). I just do more squats - and when people are jumping sometimes retain the bar and do more squats. I weigh 2-1/2 stone more now so I am graduallly increasing my squat weinght all the time smile. Other things you can do are use just your bump weight (for squats or lunges). Or if you want to keep doing lunges use an empty bar for support.

4) Keeping good form
Always trying to focus on drawing stomach in. Back to bench for lying down exercises. Using low enough weights that my body can stay still. I haven't fully swapped yet but am considering hand weights for clean and press moves (32 weeks) to avoid bar being too far from my body line as I by pass my bump.

5) Other stuff I do
I put bench flat (2 risers) and do press ups on the bench (feet then knees - more knees these days!) which gives room for my bump.

Don't be afraid to pause/ do something differently to the rest of class - my ab track is always totally different to everyone elses smile

Wow this is long - Hazlenutt is the true body pump expert - she was teaching right to the end of her pregnancy (see up thread).

littlepinkfizz Tue 25-Jun-13 15:45:05

Hi, can I join. Just very early days for me so very nervous although will hopefully be baby#5.

Presently doing 2x45 min spin classes and 2x1hr body pump classes per week .

We do crunches in pump and not sure if I can still do these if pregnant? Is there any risk? Also going a bit easier at spinning,trying to keep cool and hydrated.

Glad to have found this thread grin

RunningBear78 Tue 25-Jun-13 14:42:10

Hazel how a bit of trampolining!? Probably not that sensible ... but bouncing on a fitness ball is supposed to be good?

Managed ParkRun at the weekend, just. Got to the park desperate for a wee, but there aren't any public loos and the woods are full of nettles! Managed to get round, without peeing myself, so very proud grin also managed a decent time too. Then promptly lost my borrowed bump band. Ran this morning, but it was seriously hard work and I've been relegated to the flats only.

I'm quite looking forwards to long walks with baby, and baby swimming. Getting quite excited about having a little un to play with in the pool - I hope he likes the water or I'll be devastated!

VinegarDrinker Fri 21-Jun-13 13:00:05

This dropped off my 'threads I'm on'. I'm 38+3 now, still cycling daily & still finding it the easiest and most comfortable way of getting around. I'm only doing around 5 miles most days, sometimes up to 10, with DS on board. We went to a cycling festival at the weekend and I got to try out a Bakfiets (cargo bike) which was very fun! Really not finding my centre of gravity is having any effect on my balance, luckily.

Jam if you are reading I agree with Woodifer - you have to listen to your body and be guided by that. I'm not sure why your MW would be concerned at 13 weeks though. But just do what you are comfortable with.

gertrudestein Fri 21-Jun-13 12:48:52

Good point, good point ... I am really focussing on the wrong thing to worry about! It does make me smile to think that soon I will (hopefully) be able to take my baby for walks to all my favourite parks and views.

HazleNutt Fri 21-Jun-13 11:41:32

gertrude yes, it's my first, so I don't expect so much boredom but rather quite a bit of panic about what to do with this new human. I also have big dogs who need their walks, so will probably be out of the house quite a lot. Besides, I'm abroad with only 14 weeks of mat leave, so will have to make the most of it!

gertrudestein Fri 21-Jun-13 11:37:39

Ha ha hazelnutt I think you'll have to do a triathlon to get the baby moving! Good luck - I hope it all goes very smoothly for you. Is this your first?

I had some health problems earlier on in the pregnancy, but have found that exercise has been a relally good way of coping with things - with the very important caveat that it has been a bit of a struggle to adjust my relationship to my body - instead of pushing myself as far as I can go, I have finally got used to the right levels to feel good but be injury free.

Now 38 wks, and not planning to change anything - gym/ swimming/ Pilates 6 times a week, although I have dropped down to 40 mins swimming instead of an hr. I must admit it helps that I have no dc at home at the moment and am not working either, so I have plenty of time!

Now my biggest fear is what to do after the baby is born. i know I'll have lots more important things on my mind, but I think I'll go stir crazy in my flat all day. hazel, what are your plans?

HazleNutt Fri 21-Jun-13 08:57:48

I'm due today (even though the baby does not seem to want to go anywhere) and I have taken it easy for the last couple of weeks, but was still teaching fitness classes 9 months pregnant without any issues.

I'm sure it's part luck, but part thanks to exercise that I have not had any issues during this pregnancy - no pains, not tired, not getting stuck in the bath etc, feeling totally fine. Still working full time as well.

The only trouble is that you know how they recommend a walk when you're overdue? Well, if you have been active and literally running around for most of the pregnancy, I'm not sure a walk will make any difference. Considering Bodycombat or something to get this baby moving grin

Sanjifair Thu 20-Jun-13 21:50:31

I am still running at 23 weeks. Still doing up to 10k but I am going to start cutting back, as I am feeling pretty heavy and slow and it feels harder than it used to. I will quite likely stop running quite soon (went to 27 weeks last time) and will do brisk walks and hopefully aqua natal yoga instead.

RunningBear78 Thu 20-Jun-13 18:04:23

I used to ride, but was so wobbly when I got preggers that I felt so unsafe on the road I had to stop. Gutted and am missing it dreadfully. I've managed three rides in 27 weeks, so not great. If you feel happy balance and spatial awareness wise I'd keep going. People who don't ride/do exercise generally don't quite understand the motivation for those of us that do.

I'm going to try for my last ParkRun this weekend at 28 weeks. Its all off road and a bit hilly so I think I might have to call it a day and still to shorter flat plods around the park from now on and pick up the swimming.

How is everyone else doing?

CareerGirl01 Thu 20-Jun-13 00:31:55
CareerGirl01 Thu 20-Jun-13 00:31:43

Follow on for those of us past the six week new baby mark!http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/sports_and_exercise/1784062-Fabulous-and-fit-to-be-new-mums?msgid=39798597#39798597

CareerGirl01 Thu 20-Jun-13 00:29:22

If there's anyone out there...

Woodifer Tue 11-Jun-13 22:00:04

Hi Jam - yes me (and vinegar further up post plus a few others i think).

I cycled til i finished work previous pregnancy (38 weeks), and am still cycling this pregnancy (now 30 weeks +) - did 17 miles at the weekend.

I depends on your own comfort and confidence - some people just aren't happy on the roads, some people find their bump affects their balance - I'm used to commuting in a city (and am currently in office, so commuting 2 days a week) - so this doesn't bother me somehow. But I am avoiding group riding (with club etc with big groups).

Play it by ear how you feel about the risks and how you feel comfort wise (i am still on road bike, and managed on that last time - but some people find they have to swap to more upright position) - you know the roads near you. My thought is while something could happen - I don't worry about that all the time when not pregnant. And for me the health/ sanity benefits outweighed the real/perceived risks - especially as cycling was som much easier than walking as i had quite bad SPD/PGP last time.

JamInMyWellies Tue 11-Jun-13 21:26:46

Am a fairly reg road cyclist, about 30 miles a wk plus a few gym classes. My midwife has told me she is not too happy about me out cycling on the roads (lots of country lanes). I am 13wks.

Any other cyclists out there?

gertrudestein Tue 11-Jun-13 15:57:15

Well, the more exercise I do, the more chocolate I eat ....!

GinotPrigio Tue 11-Jun-13 15:25:23

Hi, can I join in here too?

I'm only 7 weeks pregnant but hoping to stay fairly active throughout this pregnancy (my second). I ran the Brighton Marathon (although v v slowly!) just before I got pregnant but I have only managed a couple of runs since then. Exhaustion and sickness have hit me bad this time around but I figure that a little bit of exercise might give me some much needed energy.

I am in awe of you girls exercising late into your third trimester. I was so lazy during my first pregnancy and used it as an excuse to pig out. I really want to be healthier this time round!

RunningBear78 Tue 11-Jun-13 15:13:40

yes - what is it with flabby arms!? been doing loads of weights and swimming and nothing seems to work - so depressing even the dh commented on the fact that they were sticky and shapeless which is v unlike him sad i know bum and thigh fat is supposed to be stored for late baby growth and breast feeding but arms, seriously? humph ...

gertrudestein Tue 11-Jun-13 14:17:42

Serious I know what you mean about the arms - have been doing lots of toning and gentle resistance training throughout pregnancy but my arms still manage to look quite flabby. Am sure there must be a reason for it (I'm currently pretending everything is water retention ....!) and the work will be worth it for lifting and carrying a baby in a few weeks' time.

cadidog I'm sure you'll feel better once the 2nd trimester hits, although a word of warning from me: I was so excited to be out of the sickness zone that I overdid the exercise a bit and ended up getting really exhausted. It has taken me a long time to listen to the different kinds of needs and wants of a pregnant body.

Although I must say I love it now when I can feel the baby kicking after a workout! I feel like he's joining in!

cadidog Tue 11-Jun-13 13:21:56

I'm also doing the Tracy Anderson pregnancy project DVD's and I found the 2nd month DVD (I'm 8 + 6) so tough it almost put me off exercise entirely. Yet I did L1 of the Shred last night and found it okay - woke up with less sore muscles than when I do the pregnancy project anyway. Once the 1st trimester lack of energy lifts a bit I'm hoping I can do a bit more.

SeriousStuff Tue 11-Jun-13 12:25:56

I'm now 22+3 and still doing my Tracy Anderson DVDs. Feeling pretty good at the moment but I'm disappointed with the way my arms are still managing to develop cellulite! Have a wedding this weekend and want to wear a strapless dress which miraculously still fits me! So I'm trying to do some extra arm stuff in the morning.

My only cardio is still taking the dog for walks, but better than nothing I suppose.

RunningBear78 Tue 11-Jun-13 12:23:08

Hi there, had a sudden resugence of energy after a week on hols walking and sea swimming (and lots of afternoons snoozes). Reconfigured the running wardrobe with DH's shorts and bump support band donated from a friend and had a lovely half hour jog yesterday. When DH came home last night it was so lovely we went for bike ride too! Only my third during preg so far, but I've started to be come uber jealous of people riding now the weather is so lovely. Actually felt fine, not paying quite enough attention to feel safe on the road, and spatial awareness made gates quite interesting smile Managed a short swim this am, although our local pool is 32 degrees and the changing rooms feel like a sauna, so heart was racing and swimming v v hard work. Have resolved to use another pool which isn't quite so warm in future!
Hope the rest of you are doing ok and managing to get out and about in the sunshine?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now