Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Fab fit mums to be - anyone fancy starting a fitness/activity support thread

(198 Posts)
CareerGirl01 Tue 12-Mar-13 16:21:43

Seems there are a few of us wanting to stay active during our pregnancies. How about a non-judgement place where we can support each other; from the walkers to the runners- big/small etc?!

CareerGirl01 Fri 12-Apr-13 15:21:57

Just back from the gym. Am really missing my outdoor exercise! Bike is getting uncomfortable now. My aerobic fitness still good though.

Janey84 Mon 15-Apr-13 13:12:55

Hello, can I join this thread please? My baby is due in September and I have always been fit and love that there are more of us continuing while pregnant! SO far only had a couple of sarky comments out running, but headphones up loud sorted that out!! But I was wondering if anyone continued with body combat classes or if the kicking/balance could be an issue? The posts have really reassured me that I am not alone in wanting to stay fit.
Also, I brought a FittaMamma top following your post HazelNutt and I really like it for running (I got the capris as well which I also love) but I found the top is really supportive for higher impact activities, so far for me runs and the gym. perhaps combat if I feel brave enough!

Janey84 Mon 15-Apr-13 13:19:14

oh and if anyone can point me in the direction of some good arm workouts i can do at home I would be so grateful! i dont know why my baby has also brought on bingo wings!! thank you

CareerGirl01 Mon 15-Apr-13 16:21:50

Janey I've avoided any body combat stuff - but then it's not really my exercise thing. I've avoided bingo wings by doing tricep dips using weights and the park bench - seems to have done the trick.

Janey84 Tue 16-Apr-13 18:45:07

Thank you CareerGirl, I tried some dips on a bench this morning half way through my run and there is some definite ache now, which hopefully is a good sign!

badguider Wed 17-Apr-13 09:38:26

Hi,

I've been missing in action for about a month. I'm still cycling - 10-15mins here and there to get round town and a longer ride of about 20km at the weekend which I'm really enjoying.

Yoga once a week too.

Finding it harder to stick to the dvds at home though - I've probably only done Erin O'Brien about three times so far... I just don't like exercising at home.

I feel like all of a sudden (20wks tomorrow) I've got my energy back and i'm desperate to do proper exercise again, am even considering trying a jog/walk when this torrential rain stops. I still don't have a big bump yet and boobs no bigger than at 8/9wks when I was running regularly so hopefully it'll be ok. I'm far less breathless now than I was then.

Also planning to start aquafit next week in an effort to regain my comfort in the pool before adult&baby swimming (haven't really swum for a decade, though used to swim relatively seriously).

To be honest, my legs and hips are really fat right now and I'm a bit worried about the summer (june/july) and possible chaffing/sweating and just generally being uncomfortable to wear shorts or skirts. I know it's unlikely I can lose any fat while pregnant due to hormones but I'm hoping I can either tone up more or at least prevent any more fat gain.

How often are the rest of you trying to get a decent bit of exercise in? Daily? or less?

Thanks smile

islingtongirl Wed 17-Apr-13 10:06:31

Hey badguider and others - I am still keeping up my reformer pilates classes that I have been going to for years, go twice a week. I am hoping to keep this up for the next few months, but will see (am 21 going on 22 weeks now) - as I'm the only pregnant one in the class so some exercises have to be adapted for me, they don't seem to mind though but I don't want to be a nuisance! It is definitely getting harder work though. I also still go to "maternally fit", an ante natal fitness class, once a week (wrote about it earlier in the thread) and am trying to walk into work where I can, averaging about 2-3 times a week, its about a 30/35 min walk. I am hoping this is enough! I feel like I am keeping fairly active, but I had to give up my usual pre-pregnancy classes of circuits and kettlebells as they just weren't suitable/too high intensity - I do miss them though and doing ab work sad belly getting too big now so can't do anything like that in pilates either. Bah.

Anyone tried aqua-aerobics and would you recommend it?

TheBeanpole Wed 17-Apr-13 10:41:01

Hello, can I join?

Nice to meet you all.

I'm 6+1, and, touch wood, still feeling fine. I went out with my running club as usual on Monday and did hill sprints, and my usual bike commute today- 10 miles each way. I'm also still going to circuits and boxfit classes. Janey last year there was a woman at my boxfit class who kept coming until about 37 weeks, so it can be done. Not done combat though so if there is more kicking it might be more risky?

I'm going to have to give up yoga though; the teacher's not happy sad I think I will try and pick up pilates classes again to compensate. I have a bit of a crap core anyway so should probably give it some serious love before it gets under massive pressure. I'm assuming normal mat pilates will be fine?

I'm reasonably fit at the moment (although could probably do with dropping half a stone which is not going to happen now...)- was supposed to be doing a half marathon last weekend but pulled out as I had a virus the week before and was coughing like mad. I hope I can keep the cycling up as it's so much nicer in the summer. I also swim a lot in the summer (I prefer outside, in the lido) so will be getting back in the pool in the next couple of weeks to start on my swimming condition before I become ungainly.

I might be being over-optimistic thinking I can keep it all up! I guess I will drop the running distances (I am slow already) as I go on.

I do need to invest in a new sports bra though....

gertrudestein Wed 17-Apr-13 10:49:22

CareerGirl you're my heroine. I hope I am still going as well as you in a month's time!

CareerGirl01 Wed 17-Apr-13 19:25:17

Thanks gertrude blush still managing gym - did five days last week -30 mins at a time - 15/20 minutes aerobic stuff (cross trainer and recycling bike) then weights and my Pilates/yoga moves as a cool down; got these from ante natal DVDs - not bothering to do the DVDs on their own- think I'm doing enough at 37 weeks! The oyster move is fab! I'm sure this has helped my hips - which were starting to ache at night - no longer getting any twinges in knees or hips. Think this is because I gave up running. Going to try and keep this up another two weeks- my membership is suspended from 1 May and my due date is 8th May.
Xx

CareerGirl01 Wed 17-Apr-13 19:28:20

Haven't tried aqua aerobics islington am considering doing one next week - but have left it a bit late to be a regular.

badguider Thu 18-Apr-13 09:19:43

Next week on weds i'm going to try aquafit at my nearest pool which isn't specifically antenatal but is apparently suitable. i'll let you know how it goes.

On mondays there's aquanatal at the big olympic pool a drive away but I'm busy on monday nights till the end of june. i might try to go to that in july and august.

RunningBear78 Tue 23-Apr-13 10:51:08

Just wanted to share ... had a lovely weekend in the Lake District with friends. One came with me and we did two relatively flat runs in the mornings. Ate a LOT and slept a lot too, but feel really good for it.
Swam most of the coached session last night, but note ... Diving is NOT good! Ouch on the boobs, but they do stick out quite a lot so not so surprising.
Managed a morning run today and feeling pretty good. Amazingly seem to have lost half a kilo since last thursday, so hoping that regaining some energy will help me keep a lid on the excessive weight gain! And best news of all, finally seem to have a bump after 19 weeks! Quite excited, I actually look a bit pregnant not just fat grin

HazleNutt Tue 23-Apr-13 16:17:26

A lot of pregnant women love all kinds of aqua classes, but they're not really my thing, so can't comment.

I still do Bodycombat and Tae Bo at 31 weeks, just have to adapt some moves as the bump gets in the way, but otherwise no problems. Still teaching Bodypump as well - that's actually not any more difficult to do when pregnant, except for the current ab track, which is not really suitable. But there are always alternative exercises.

Ordered some pregnancy exercise DVDs as well, but they're still in wrappers - I'll probably try them once normal classes are getting too difficult.

CareerGirl01 Tue 23-Apr-13 18:09:11

Crazily - at 38 weeks pregnant - today I decided to see if I could sti 'run' - until exercise bike arrives I will not be able to do any low-impact exercise in the fresh air. Managed 20 minutes but I felt like I was dragging my poor body around. Felt nice being in the sunshine though.
Going to devise a non running post natal regime! Will stick to gym tomorrow- good luck ladies x

HazleNutt Wed 24-Apr-13 09:33:26

I've pretty much stopped running, find that the hardest. With most exercises, you change your movement direction and speed, so it's not so bad, but with running the constant movement of the bump is really not comfortable.

CareerGirl01 Wed 24-Apr-13 12:53:57

hazelnutt the fresh air felt good though!

HazleNutt Wed 24-Apr-13 13:22:14

Oh I get plenty of that, I have two big dogs to walk. smile

Whenever you read something about exercise in pregnancy, that's what's usually recommended after all - walks. But I guess all of us here would agree that walking is just walking and not enough, if you are used to more challenging exercise programmes. So I'm thinking about dance aerobics followed by tae Bo this evenin. Followed by that walk.

allwomanR Wed 24-Apr-13 15:45:06

I spotted this thread and was really reassured by some of the responses so thank you so much for starting it! smile

prior to getting pregnant I ran half marathons, though dropped out of the one I had scheduled at 10wks as I simply didnt have the energy to do the training runs. have been really paranoid that carrying on running and doing my weekly aerobics would be shaking the baby more than is good for it! I'm determined to keep it up as long as I can though as now I'm at 15 weeks I feel fantastic after exercising!

I've found yoga particularly helpful as its an easy way to build up some strength in my arms using my naturally increasing body weight week on week to build up in preparation for carrying an infant around!

gertrudestein Wed 24-Apr-13 19:30:55

I wish I could still run - I miss it terribly, but it puts too much pressure on my bladder! I still do a pathetic half jog-half walk on my way to the gym, but it's not the same ...

On a completely different note, I found this online and would recommend it as a good pilates workout that you can do at home: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ccd8VDTEc

louby86 Wed 24-Apr-13 23:12:10

Hyperemesis has struck me down so I'm off the exercise for nowhmm Hoping to pick up body balance in a few weeks time and work up from there so I'm still lurking for inspiration and support smile hope you are all ok!

HazleNutt Thu 25-Apr-13 09:30:00

I have a training day when I'll be 38 weeks - a special event, happens once a year, loads of fun usually. All LesMills classes, one after the other. CareerGirl as you are 38 weeks now - it would be a bit ambitious if I wanted to participate this year, right? Especially considering that it's in another town and I probably didn't want to travel too far from my hospital at that stage.

CareerGirl01 Sun 28-Apr-13 17:04:36

Hazelnutt soz for late reply -have been mostly sleeping this weekend! At 38 weeks it depends. I've been doing 20 minutes on either cross trainer or bike followed by light weights and some Pilates to finish - around 40 mins x5 in the last week. This coming week my gym membership is suspended so I'm basically going on except use sabbatical at 39 weeks. If you can do the training without having to do it hard core why not?

CareerGirl01 Sun 28-Apr-13 17:05:58

Not except use meant exercise!!

CareerGirl01 Sun 28-Apr-13 17:08:44

Just thinking Hazelnutt In body pump you don't have to use the heavy weights? Cycle I would imagine might be uncomfortable? Body balance - well there's loads I can't do but can sit some stuff out. Body attack - can take it easy in parts/swap to low impact. What are the others - body combat? again I think you can go low impact?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now