Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Fab fit mums to be - anyone fancy starting a fitness/activity support thread

(198 Posts)
CareerGirl01 Tue 12-Mar-13 16:21:43

Seems there are a few of us wanting to stay active during our pregnancies. How about a non-judgement place where we can support each other; from the walkers to the runners- big/small etc?!

CareerGirl01 Wed 03-Apr-13 19:17:25

Ah mightbe I've had a bit of a time at home last few days - DH has had some problems. But I was back at the gym this morning- managed 20mins on cross trainer and 10 mins on bike - then did 15 mins of light weights and a cool down using my Pilates DVD moves. Feel better but bump is sore. Am glad to be keeping it up - 35 weeks now. Got my c section booked so I have 4 weeks left. IVF cancelled gym membership in May and June because I will not be exercising - obviously.

MightBeMad Wed 03-Apr-13 21:22:22

Career girl - that sounds like a good workout! Really hope to follow your example when I'm 35 weeks. Hope things with DH are improving.

HazleNutt Wed 03-Apr-13 21:27:23

running I've just ordered the support top, will let you know if it's any good. Have tried some other tops and belts, sadly they've been all quite disappointing.

Gemsie77 Thu 04-Apr-13 09:27:30

Hi,

I usually exercise & did through my last pregnancy. I had morning sickness all the way through but exercise helped me. There were times when I was so tired & weak that I couldn't.

I am now about 7 weeks pregnant & getting the morning sickness again. I'm better once I start getting going but then need to sit/lie down because I feel dizzy & wiped out. I'm very frustrated as I'missed my Zumba class last night & I'm not sure if I'll be able to go to spin tonight.

I'd like to keep my fitness up & don't want to pile on the pounds unecessarily.

Has anyone been through this? Any advice or support would be great.

Thanks.

Gemsie77 Thu 04-Apr-13 09:52:18

Hi,

I usually exercise & did through my last pregnancy. I had morning sickness all the way through but exercise helped me. There were times when I was so tired & weak that I couldn't.

I am now about 7 weeks pregnant & getting the morning sickness again. I'm better once I start getting going but then need to sit/lie down because I feel dizzy & wiped out. I'm very frustrated as I'missed my Zumba class last night & I'm not sure if I'll be able to go to spin tonight.

I'd like to keep my fitness up & don't want to pile on the pounds unecessarily.

Has anyone been through this? Any advice or support would be great.

Thanks.

Dildals Thu 04-Apr-13 10:26:44

Hi everyone,

I am 12 weeks pregnant with twins, first timer. I really want to stay fit but I also don't want to do something stupid! A twin pregnancy is considered high risk so don't want to add to the risk!

I still cycle in to work every day (I want a big Baby On Board sign on my hi-viz jacket!). I used to run 3 times a week but I cut that right down, due to (perhaps unfounded) risk of miscarriage (I had one before so didn't really want to run the risk) and took up swimming instead. We have a pool at work, so I am incredibly lucky in that respect. Just get fed up smelling of chlorine! In January I did a session with a swim coach to improve my technique and he gave me training sessions as well which I now use (the Zoggs website has a link to a site which has good swim sessions if you are interested). So I now swim 2-3 a week (2 times realistically) and run once a week. Like christelle I am finding my 5K runs HARD. I used to run a 5K in 22 mins, now I take over 30 mins! I wear a heart rate monitor and stop when my heart rate goes over 170. I find that the first half I need to walk regularly and in the second half my heartrate seems to find a stable 140 rate.

I will find a pregnancy yoga class locally soon as well.

Also, I have bought the Tracy Anderson Pregnancy Project. I really liked the fact that there was a different DVD for every month of pregnancy. The first time I did I had sore bum muscles for five days ... shock, i am getting more used to it now! If I keep with the TA DVD for the rest of my pregnancy DH will be able to crack an egg on my ass. :-)

My favourite aquathlon opened for entries earlier this week, I will be 21 weeks by then. Given how slow my runs are now, I know I am not likely to be able to enter ... part of my brain is still not willing to accept I am pregnant I think!

CareerGirl01 Thu 04-Apr-13 10:34:21

Hi Gemsie I found working out helped ease my morning sickness this pregnancy but during my first I was so knackered I had to ditch exercise altogether. Mind you with a 4 YO DD this pregnancy i had no choice but to get out and about. Have to say if this is your first - enjoy the rest and don't stress about being fit. I've been working out for 20 years now and I soon got back into it after DD1 was born. This time round I've kind of had no chance to rest and the exercise has helped me deal with liking after DD1 and DH.

gertrudestein Thu 04-Apr-13 10:35:46

Gemsie I know how you feel! Am currently 26 weeks but found those beginning weeks very hard because of tiredness. I pushed myself too hard and ended up injuring myself, so my advice to you would be to try not to worry about the Zumba and Spin, and focus on low impact exercise like swimming, yoga and pilates. Yes, they're not as invigorating, but that might help you keep going for longer.

Also, listen to your body and take it easy for a week or two if you need to. It sounds like you are very fit and this will be frustrating, but I really wish I had done that as I'm now finding exercise very difficult - all sacrificed for that cardio hit early on!

In particular, I was a fanatic runner. Did something very painful to my thigh at 14 weeks and have had trouble walking (let alone running) since then. Not good.

On another note, does anyone further down the line have any tips for fatigue? At 26 weeks I am trying to go to the gym three times a week (swim once, pilates once, cardio and weights once), for about an hour. This seems to me like the bare minimum, but often I am so exhausted afterwards that I cannot function for the rest of the day. What am I doing wrong? I'm not even pushing myself very hard.

JBrd Thu 04-Apr-13 11:26:07

Hi all, can I join? I'm 6+4 with DC2, and really hoping to continue excercising throughout the pregnancy. I usually go to the gym 2-3 times per week to do Bodypump, which I have all intention to continue - did it up to almost 8 months with DS.

But am currently really struggling with dizzy spells, which worries me a bit - I have to be very careful when changing position, i.e. getting up to standing from sitting/lying down. I am taking it very easy and have already reduced my weights, too, but I guess I need to watch it. And then there is the tiredness...
I did pregnancy yoga last time, and will definitely try and do that again, once I'm far along enough, I loved it.

Has anyone got any recommendations for pregnancy sportswear? I ended up wearing DH's t-shirts last time, but was thinking of treating myself to some 'proper' gym tops/trousers this time round...

HazleNutt Thu 04-Apr-13 11:35:49

I've bought some longer lenght tops in bigger sizes and so far have been able to wear my normal bottoms. had to buy bigger sports bras as well.
I have this one in different colours:
www.sportsdirect.com/la-gear-long-length-t-shirt-ladies-343106?colcode=34310603
this should stay under the bump:
www.sportsdirect.com/lonsdale-mock-layer-t-shirt-ladies-343089?colcode=34308924

LoveLaughingLots Thu 04-Apr-13 11:48:50

I'd like to join, I'm only 6 weeks, but I regularly attend ballet classes as I've been dancing for over 20 years and intend to continue (if I can!) I know other women who were pregnant in my class and got on fine. I also want to continue with normal yoga and pump if I can.

Does anyone do Zumba?

LLL

CareerGirl01 Thu 04-Apr-13 17:02:29

gertrude if you are feeling tired you may be overdoing it even if you think you aren't; bet you are comparing your exertion to pre pregnancy?
I would take it down at 26 weeks - just do something active for 30mins maybe?
I'm only managing 30/40 mins every other day now - at 35 weeks. I am really tired today and very uncomfortable as baby has not yet dropped.
LLL I used to do pump but not much in last couple of years so avoided during this pg. but loads of ladies here swear by it.

gertrudestein Thu 04-Apr-13 17:12:34

careergirl maybe you're right - would you say you started doing about 30 mins when you were at this stage, or later?

HazleNutt Thu 04-Apr-13 19:57:28

I teach zumba amongst other things, but have stopped for now, as I'm just not flexible enough - I still participate now and then though. Still teaching Bodypump and don't have any difficulties there.

CareerGirl01 Thu 04-Apr-13 20:07:01

Gertrude I was doing 30-40 mins x5 a week till last week. But I really was super-fit pre pregnancy, and at 42 I've been working out - spinning running weights netball etc for 20 years now. So it's part of my life and I wouldn't think many pregnant women would be at my level of fitness. Like I said if you are tired - and this is your first preg - then enjoy your rest, keep active but don't stress if you are tired! I'm glad I didn't do do much with DD1 because it was the only time in my life I put my feet up!

megarobotdiscoparty Thu 04-Apr-13 20:36:15

gertrude if you're tired after sessions you should def step it down a notch til you get the balance right - seek and ye shall find! Exercise at this stage should be about keeping you energised. An hour may just be too long. I'm 33+4 and was teaching high impact aerobics til 30 weeks - wish I'd stopped sooner as I was struggling. Now I'm doing 30-40 minute sessions on my own at the gym and doing half strength and half cardio - I've really ramped cardio down. For me that's helped massively and I'm loving it all again, feeling much less tired too.

It's so different for everybody, and, I imagine different at every stage and in every pregnancy too. The best thing is to experiment until you find a routine that keeps you energised, even if that means shifting the goal posts a bit every week!

Gemsie77 Thu 04-Apr-13 21:31:52

Hi everyone, thanks for the advice & support. I didn't go spinning tonight. Again felt wiped out & have had a big headache! Raaah, going to try my Zumba & Zumba tone (two 45 min sessions) this weekend.
Who was asking about Zumba? Yes I do it & love it & did it through my last pregnancy when I felt up to it. I also went out for a run/ jog. I tried support bands but it did get too uncomfy in the end.

My husband is a keen triathlete. His training keeps me motivated but he's told me to basically chill out & enjoy this pregnancy.

Don't like being unfit & love my me time. I have a 19 month old DD & she keeps me v busy!

I'm most impressed & inspired by you all. Think about Paula Radcliffe doing marathons through her pregnancies.

So there are fitness DVDs for pregnancy? Must research & maybe if I can't cope with my classes save my money on gym membership. :-)

louby86 Fri 05-Apr-13 12:43:40

Really struggling this week and only managed one class but I'm booked into body balance and two spinning classes next week so I'm hoping I'll be ok for them. Has anyone bought maternity sportswear or have you all found long tops in bigger sizes ok?

Gemsie77 Sun 07-Apr-13 13:06:01

Last time I bought the next size up for tops & kept the same bottoms. Poss could have done with a bigger sports bra though.

Managed Zumba & Zumba tone yesterday but not without having to stand out of some parts because I was feeling a little weak. Afterwards people kept asking if I was OK as I looked pale & not my usual energetic self. I said I've had the flu & it's taking a while to recover. They were all quite concerned which was sweet & said that I had to get better as my energy usually inspires them!!

I felt a bit of a fraud lying but did tell my instructor who has given me a list of dos & don'ts. So people are going to guess soon.

Took my 20month old daughter swimming today & walked there & back a 15-20mins walk. As a consequence I nearly fainted & am now having to lie down.

Anyone had faint & dizzy spells early pregnancy? :-)

JBrd Mon 08-Apr-13 11:02:05

Gemsie I'm struggling with dizzy spells, too. I didn't have that in my first pg, so it's a bit scary! They happen any time, regardless of what position I'm in, but I noticed I have to be careful in the gym when changing position from lying down to standing up.
I'll probably tell the instructors at my gym this or next week. I'm a bit hesitant because I've had bad experiences last time - one of the instructors kept shouting across the class before starting 'How's the baby?' confused Really don't want that to happen this time!

Wondering what people have done regards telling your gym/fitness instructors? When do you tell them? I'm 7+1 now, thinking that it'll be to my benefit to tell them asap, but on the other hand thinking is it too early? Anything can happen... What have you done in this situation?

HazleNutt Mon 08-Apr-13 11:13:53

As an instructor, I would prefer if you told me as soon as possible, so I know not to push you as much, but let you work out according to how you feel. There might be certain exercises you wish to avoid or you might want to take more breaks, and it's always worrying if I see a regular participant suddenly simply standing there or running out of the class (might happen due to morning sickness). Just tell them to keep quiet if you don't want everybody else to know - the shouting across class was of course inappropriate.

CareerGirl01 Thu 11-Apr-13 17:57:30

Bumping to see how we are all doing. 36 weeks now and still managing workouts; suspended my gym membership from end of the month until July!

HazleNutt Thu 11-Apr-13 19:16:09

Just got home from Bodypump, still teaching it. 29+6 here.

Oh and got this FittaMamma support top linked to earlier, but unfortunately I'm not terribly impressed. Does not seem to do much - maybe should have gotten a size smaller, although I followed their sizing guide. So if you're ordering, maybe take several sizes to try. It is also way too low cut for me, would not even be wearable without a more modest sports bra. So I'll just stick to longer length tops in bigger sizes.

RunningBear78 Fri 12-Apr-13 11:40:01

Thanks for the feedback on the top HazleNutt was just wondering whether to get myself one! Although had a breakthrough moment realising my hubbies tri shorts and running leggings practically come over my modest bump so I've been using them to hold everything in!

Almost defeated by that Erin O'Brian dvd! Great but highlighted quite how unfit and lacking muscles I've got in the past 18 weeks or so!

noballs.co.uk/ have some nice longer sports tops/vests in their clearance sale. Good sizing, lovely material and suitably high cut to hold in massive norks. Also, good customer service and European made kit!

HazleNutt Fri 12-Apr-13 13:46:24

thanks for the recommendation, I love the look of those gathered tops, excellent cut to cover my now quite massive bump.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now