Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Fab fit mums to be - anyone fancy starting a fitness/activity support thread

(198 Posts)
CareerGirl01 Tue 12-Mar-13 16:21:43

Seems there are a few of us wanting to stay active during our pregnancies. How about a non-judgement place where we can support each other; from the walkers to the runners- big/small etc?!

ExpatAl Mon 18-Mar-13 12:02:22

Career, baby jogers prams are supposed to be good. www.babyjogger.co.uk/ I'm thinking of getting one.

CareerGirl01 Mon 18-Mar-13 17:04:38

Thanks Expat! Now to find a second hand one.

HazleNutt Tue 19-Mar-13 08:34:45

A question, have you lot found any supportive bump bands for sports? I feel that some exercise would be a lot more comfortable if I could have a bit more support for belly, but haven't found anything that would work. Tried the Belly Bra - maybe it's the size, but does not do anything for me. So basically I'm looking for a sports bra for the bump - any suggestions?

badguider Tue 19-Mar-13 13:28:07

Sorry I can't help with the bump as I don't have one yet!

My yoga was cancelled this morning due to extreme snow here shock so I have just tried my Erin O'Brien dvd for the first time - and it's quite tough! I am pleased, it means I've got somewhere to go with it. I found some of the exercises were easy but others targetted muscles I've clearly not been working up to now (not surprising as I did sports before rather than gym work). Off for a shower now and going to try to do that dvd about 4times a week (whenever I can't get out for a longer walk or a bike ride)

ExhaustedMamasita Tue 19-Mar-13 14:14:10

Yes - I'm in!!! I'm 15 weeks PG and aside from catching the flu recently… I’m well up for keeping fit throughout my pregnancy. I was a very regular gym-goer before and loved the occasional keep-fit class. During my first trimester I struggled big time – couldn’t find the strength to do much exercise but now I’m starting to regain some energy levels and can’t get enough. Admittedly I don’t push myself like I used to but some exercise is better than nothing – right?! This thread is awesome – definitely motivating me to get back on it, for me and my baby!

CareerGirl01 Tue 19-Mar-13 14:40:58

Hi Mamasita I'm finding it tough at 33 weeks now, had a phase (probably 20-25 weeks) when I had loads of energy and was able to do a bit more. Have to admit feeling very low at the moment DH and I are having the usual pregnancy related relationship issues. I wasn't going to go to the gym today but glad I did, it does make me feel better - 20 minutes on the x trainer and 10 minutes of pilates (incorporated what I've learned from the DVD and my physio as an end of routine stretch/cool down). Not as much as I could usually manage but hey feeling all the better for it. Hazelnutt I haven't found anything that supportive - got a bump band from JoJoMamanBebe which doesn;t really support me any more. My SportyBump leggings have a panel at the front which I think helps. I also use control pants in a size 12 (I'm normally a size 8/10) from Florence and Fred at Tesco.
I think the SPD bands are great - if you can get hold of one.

MrsJarmitage Tue 19-Mar-13 17:22:59

I'm in please, definitely need exercise advice! Only found out on Sunday that I am pregnant for the first time, currently 5+4. Big shock as we hadn't been trying.
I started going to the gym a few months ago and had managed to lose just over a stone. Definitely want to keep up with staying active. I was doing legs bums and tums, and 'pump', also did lots of abs work, also used to go on the stairmaster a fair amount. What should I be avoiding/carrying on doing? Totally lost with it!
Thanks smile

HazleNutt Tue 19-Mar-13 17:43:06

Jarmitage, I would of course ask your doctor if you have any restrictions, but if not, at this stage, you can continue with all you have listed.

gertrudestein Wed 20-Mar-13 08:41:55

I'd love to join this thread! Like lots of people, I was very fit and active before getting pg. One of my first symptoms was being too tired to run! Had to give up running at 14 weeks because of SPD, and miss it terribly. And had to give up yoga because my teacher wasn't qualified for pg women.

I'm now 24+3, swimming once a week, going to the gym twice a week and walking where I can. Also just started pregnancy yoga, which I'm enjoying. I'd like to do some pilates but don't have a DVD player! Is there anywhere online I can pick up some tips?

I really miss the endorphins from regular, vigorous exercise. It was a big part of how I managed my mood, and I really, really miss all the fresh air and freedom from running. Has anyone found a solution to this?

Woodifer Wed 20-Mar-13 08:48:43

gertrude - I found cycling the answer when I couldn't run due to SPD (I was cycling before though - so depends on your confidence level (and on your SPD))

Also in swimming - becaue I don't really do it unless pregnant - I am super inefficient so get quite a good aerobic work out just trying to swim crawl (avoid breastroke with SPD).

Mix it up swimming with some fast lengths and rests rather than l;ts of slow lengths all the time? You can be a bit vigorous as long as you don't go mental smile

Hazlenutt
I have been finding body pump ace this pregnancy and fine for SPD (if I avoid lunges) - but my instructor says the new release has a lot more leaping abpout in it? Have you tried it - is it more lungey? - I generally substitute more squats for lunges.

gertrudestein Wed 20-Mar-13 08:53:59

thanks woodifier, I will try to remember not to go mental! smile it's tempting thought ...

gertrudestein Wed 20-Mar-13 08:54:12

** though

badguider Wed 20-Mar-13 09:07:20

haha - I have DOMS in my quads from the Erin O'Brien dvd smile... only a little bit but even still, it feels quite nice to be honest, a familiar old friend of a feeling...
smile

HazleNutt Wed 20-Mar-13 09:09:45

What release are you doing at the moment Woodi? If she's talking about 85 then yes, lunge track has quite a lot of jumping, but the recommended option for people who don't want to jump is simply to squat, so you should be fine.

Woodifer Wed 20-Mar-13 09:28:00

yes Nutt I think thats the one - ok sounds like jumping doesn't take over the whole thing then smile

Gertrude I read its ok to try "somewhat hard" to "hard" in perceived effort terms, I have been - and I have very slightly overdone on occasion probably (though you realise and pull it back when you do).

guider I got DOMS from the squats first time in body pump smile I thought I had thighs of steel from cycling - it was much more the feeling that you get from running down steep hills (off road) - so I'm hoping all this squatting wil keep my legs in a bit more condition for running once the dreaded spectre of SPD clears off.

On an SPD note - I think I brought on SPD last pregnancy (at 14 weeks) downhill off road running - maybe jarring myself - and it was really annoying though I managed to keep moving (never got to crutches/ support belt but had a period at work where I had to work standing up with my laptop on a box to bring it to the right level!!).

This time I stopped running as soon as I found out - and have been doing pilates (only once a week - would be better if more), and adapted core in body pump - SPD is virtually non-existant this time (touch wood!) I am avoiding lunges and trying to sleep sensibly stacked on my side (pillow between knees).

For SPD check out these * SPD do's and don'ts* from serola (they make reputedly one of the best support belts but I didn't need one - more useful info on their site)
www.serola.net/Serola-Theory/dr-serolas-dos-and-donts.html

For SPD helping/preventing exercises check out mutu system (last time i couldn't do the "supermum" one this time I can do normal pilates superman - yay!)
mutusystem.com/exercise-for-symphysis-pubis-dysfunction-spd-or-pelvic-girdle-pain-pgp-i-pregnancy-how-exercise-can-help.html

A note on Tara lee pregancy DVD and SPD - I found i could do squats (even last pregnancy) even though my SPD was quite bad - basically anything where the weight was distributed evenly between both feet. BUT - Tara Lee recommends some poses "as particularly good" for SPD - notably pigeon pose (wrapping one leg round the other!! - see serola do's and don'ts) which (for me anyway) was practically the worse thing for my SPD!!

Woodifer Wed 20-Mar-13 09:32:44

That's tara lee pregnancy yoga if it wasn't clear.

bakerbump Wed 20-Mar-13 19:29:36

Badguider - never thought I'd say this... but I really miss DOMS

CareerGirl01 Mon 25-Mar-13 14:05:49

What is DOMs?? Managed 40 mins aerobics today - mostly on the cross trainer. There's no way I can manage the treadmill or spin bike now - 34 weeks tomorrow?! Is anyone else getting stick from people in their gym. I've not yet tried body pump btw. The Pilates and yoga DVDs (Shiva Rea ante natal yoga) are not really helping my hip ache - which I'm only getting at night. I'm wondering if it would be worse if I wasn't exercising. The oyster pose is supposed to be good for SPD. But I've not got SPD - just lots of aches

bakerbump Thu 28-Mar-13 06:16:40

DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) is that achey feeling you get after a good workout. Looking forward to getting a good case of it once baby's out and GP gives all clear! My regime has suffered the last couple of weeks (did my back in) so have been a bit of a couch potato hmm

Audrey2013 Wed 03-Apr-13 11:16:51

A question, when did you stop doing (lower/upper) abs exercises?

Also check out Doctor Cathy's pregnancy videos on youtube! Love them. Just the way she looks at her 39 weeks is enough to keep me motivated grin

MightBeMad Wed 03-Apr-13 12:18:43

Just checking-in ladies and good to see everyone is managing to keep up the exercise! I'm off to the gym right now...

louby86 Wed 03-Apr-13 14:08:25

Hello ladies, mind if I join you? I'm just over 6 weeks pg with baby number 2. DS was born in Feb last year and I joined the gym in July and really got in to it so I'm reluctant to stop just yet although I'm only managing 1-2 classes a week at the moment.

I'm currently doing spinning, body balance and body combat when I can muster up the energy to do all 3, although the last couple of weeks I've only managed spinning. I'm hoping ill get some of my energy back in the second trimester.

It's nice to know I'm not alone, MIL and SIL think I'm mental smile

HazleNutt Wed 03-Apr-13 16:48:06

I'm now 28 weeks now and thinking if I should go to Bodycombat or just for a jog this evening. Combat probably.
Better get used to the comments, louby, once you start showing, everybody and their dog will want to give you advice whenever you try to exercise grin

MightBeMad Wed 03-Apr-13 17:09:09

Sorry to hear some of you are getting negative comments. So far I've had absolutely no comments at all (expect from my Dad, who saw me out jogging when I was 6 weeks and made fun of me for going so slowly - he didn't know I was pg until I was 12 weeks grin ). Gym was fab - I really like the way it makes me feel. Mamaged 30 mins cardio (bike and treadmill at a brisk walk uphill) and 20 mins strength and conditioning. Really hoping to be able to keep it up. Had SPD last time around too but am hoping that careful exercise this time will keep it at bay - so far so good (24+1).

RunningBear78 Wed 03-Apr-13 18:29:24

Hi ladies, can I join! I feel like a fraud as I've basically lost the energy to do anything. I used to run/swim/gym/yoga before work every day, and usually something in the evenings as well, now I can just about manage the stairs in my house. It takes me so long to wake up I hardly have time to do anything, even though I work from home, all very disheartening sad

On the bump support belt front ... has anyone found anything good for running? Its the one thing I really want to keep up, even if its slow and ploddy, for the fitness but also mental benefits of being out in the fresh air! Problem is, I already feel like I've got a wobbly bump at 16+3. I saw on the Runners World forum a few people used this kit www.fittamamma.com/ and wondered if anyone here had come across it? Looks good, but quite expensive?

As for online yoga, Katy Appleton has some great 10 minute yoga for pregnancy sessions on YouTube, which are perfect for the living room!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now