Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

The All New And Shiny Gestational Diabetes Support Thread

(273 Posts)
midori1999 Mon 11-Mar-13 21:11:03

The old thread seems to have died a death, so thought of start a new one for anyone who wants some support or just to chat about GD.

I'm 9 weeks pregnant now, had GD in my last (5th) pregnancy and had my GTT today, expecting to be diagnosed tomorrow as my levels are already silly.

Mummysaysno Tue 19-Mar-13 01:34:41

Just enjoying a 'last breakfast' of banana and custard...figure it may be my last treat for a while!!wink

curiousgeorgie Tue 19-Mar-13 08:01:41

Does anyone know if it means anything if your eye has been twitching for about a week?

Anytime anything happens in my pregnancy I automatically assume its because of the GD!

Mummysaysno Tue 19-Mar-13 15:11:29

Sorry no answer about eye twitching...although sounds like you said...one of those things you wouldn't think about unless you had GD!
Update...saw endocrinologist today...testing 4 times a day for a week, after lots of error messages tonight managed me first post dinner test and was normal range. So going to go at this positively and remember the new eating plan is actually good for me...although will miss Friday night chocolates!!!
Thanks again for support last night when I felt so low about it all!!!!

greyrabbit81 Tue 19-Mar-13 16:31:04

Hi everyone

I was diagnosed last week and started monitoring my blood glucose over the weekend. I was absolutely devastated to be diagnosed - it just seems like nothing is straightforward being pregnant. But then after four days of ok ish readings I thought it wouldn't be so bad, just had two readings at 7.8 for breakfasts that clearly didn't work (multigrain bread and wheaten crackers... ready brek seems better for me), fasting numbers no higher than 5.4 and everything else just above or below 6

Then I had to ring in my numbers this morning and the diabetes nurse basically said that they'd probably put me on tablets as I clearly couldn't manage on diet alone... does this sound normal? I'm now terrified of going to see the consultant on Friday and bursting into tears every few hours, I just want to be able to enjoy being pregnant.

cookie90 Tue 19-Mar-13 16:46:40

Hi there, I've actually posted a separate message about going for an OGTT but haven't had any replies yet....I am going for the test at the end of the week and I'm 33 weeks pregnant. Feeling quite anxious about being diagnosed with gestational diabetes.....I had sugar in my urine last week at a routine appt but I had eaten a bowl of cornflakes with sugar on it about an hour before. They asked me to check my urine over the next few days and once again I had sugar in my urine after eating toast and jam. First thing in the morning it's clear and if I avoid anything overtly sugary it remains clear. I'm hoping that they are just being cautious by organising an OGTT.

Anyway how were you diagnosed with GD? I am quite nervous about the test and am worried about long term health implications for me and baby....

mumbaisapphire Tue 19-Mar-13 18:42:26

@greyrabbit. Nurse sounds mean! If you haven't already I would keep a food diary of everything you are eating so that when you see them you can explain what the high readings were for. They should allow you a few blips as you get used to it. I would argue my cause if I were you. What targets were you set? I was told fasting should be no higher than 6 - I'm managing an average of 4.5, and 1 hour post meal should be no higher than 7.8. I had a few blips in weeks one and two on my post meal readings but it was just me learning an they made allowances for that because they could see I wasn't repeating the mistakes. Please fight your corner! Sounds like they are being unnecessarily cautious.

CheapTarnishedGlitter Wed 20-Mar-13 05:19:43

greyrabbit totally agree with Mumbai - my readings chart has space for notes each day so when I got some high readings in the early days I could jot down what I'd eaten. I guess if I'd then eaten the some thing again they could be miffed, but they understood that I was just trying to work out which foods were safe and which weren't. And I don't think they dared pull me up the time my notes were a massive rant about the fact that I had a high reading because their clinic was running so bloody late that I missed the lunch meeting at work I was supposed to go to afterwards, so had to buy something in hospital canteen afterwards and all they had were big white baguettes... angry

I'd question it if they try to put you on medication if most of your readings are ok, and those that aren't have clear reasons!

All of that said, I'm feeling a bit nervous about my appointment today. My readings since last time have been fine but the scan's worrying me. Can't shake the thought that baby will have ballooned into a whopper that they'll want to pull out asap...

StiffyByng Wed 20-Mar-13 10:26:52

CTG, it'll be fine. And don't forget, it's down to you whether you are induced or not. They can't make you. A large baby is not in itself a reason to induce if you don't want it to be. (Of course that might depend on its size!). I personally wouldn't be happy with lots of fluid but am pretty much happy to have a baby that's on the big side.

Greyrabbit, that does sound over the top. It makes me wonder whether you're at my clinic, as they said to me two fasting readings over 5.5 would mean insulin. Stand your ground.

I was in a complete state so had a long chat with my midwife yesterday and she was brilliant. She said I should just tell the clinic what they want to hear if most of my readings were fine, and the ones that weren't were only just not, if that makes sense? She said that as long as I was healthy and the baby was healthy and my sugars were still within the 'normal' range (and as far as she's concerned, and the majority of the medical profession, fasting bloods of up to 6.0 are pretty much normal and below diagnostic level) then she was happy and that I'd be much better off relaxing and seeing if that brought the numbers down a bit. She felt that for me the psychological impact of a very medicalised birth when I don't really trust the reasons for it would be very damaging. It really brought that home to me when we had a brief discussion about hospital birth if the baby stays breech - I don't feel distressed at all, it seems like the sensible option. But the mere idea of one because of my borderline blood sugars makes me cry. So I now feel more relaxed, am not waking up dreading my fasting levels and although a bit high, they're not rising and rising, so I'm going to stick with my plan for now.

CheapTarnishedGlitter Wed 20-Mar-13 11:31:46

Good news about the mw stiffy.

Just had my scan and he's just below the 50th percentile - wooooo! Now settled in for the inevitable wait in diabetes clinic. Already running half an hour late - let's see how far we can go today!

midori1999 Wed 20-Mar-13 13:02:43

Greyrabbit, I agree they should be more flexible about letting you diet control. Always tell them if you think you've eaten something that made your levels go up.

CTG, glad your scan went well. My GD baby was one of my smallest.

I started the metformin yesterday and spent all yesterday evening/last night/today feeling dreadfully nauseous and throwing up whenever I move. Obviously as a result I am having to literally force myself to eat, so I think I'm going to have to ring the clinic and ask for alternate meds as I can't function like this. I am supposed to increase the dose tomorrow too and I don't think I'll tolerate it. sad

StiffyByng Wed 20-Mar-13 16:26:20

That sounds horrible, Midori. I've heard metformin can cause stomach upsets but that sounds extreme. Would you mind if insulin was their alternative?

Just had nice appointment with obstetric consultant. He was very pleased with my numbers, wondered if I actually have GD (sadly I think I do!) and told me that if the 36 week scan is normal, I can basically be released back into the general pregnant population. No doommongering about things getting worse and worse either. Obviously I now need no disasters and the baby to turn cephalic.

CheapTarnishedGlitter Wed 20-Mar-13 20:03:16

Midori oh dear, doesn't sound like it's doing you any good... fingers crossed it'll be changed.

My appointment was just shy of two hours late in the end but the good news is they're happy for me to go full term! ! Less keen on going over which I can live with. And no more scans/consultant appointments grin

NewChoos Wed 20-Mar-13 21:12:40

You are all being so good with diet. My clinic seems much more laidback and midwife says I can eat chocolate as long as sugars are fine (they have been). Carbs send my sugars soaring unless as others are said are eaten with protein and a smaller portion. My targets are 5.8 pre meals and 7.8 1 hour post. My pre's are ok, generally between 4.8-5.8 and posts have been up to 7.4 (if I have had bread/cereal). I have been given Metformin to take with breakfast but don't always have it if having something protein/dairy based. I have had some GI symptoms but didn't when I took with first pregnancy.

NewChoos Wed 20-Mar-13 21:13:58

Seems to be so many regional differences, I have been told I can't go over 39 weeks.

mamabrownbear Thu 21-Mar-13 07:41:46

Hi everyone, had my morning appointment yesterday at the hospital. Up nice and early, starving! Took a banana and some nuts with me for immediately after the test! They took my blood, gave me a 400ml bottle of luzacade to drink (at 8:15am! :s) then I read Bella and Ok for two hours. Then they took my blood again and sent me on my way. 2 hours later I get a call telling me I'm completely fine! According to my blood I don't have GD or anaemia! So all clear (no, put the celebratory cake down) so I'm sticking to the healthy diet until DD comes along. I may have had a blip on Friday but my sugar level were high so I'm sticking with it, thankfully through choice now rather than being told to and without the worry hanging over me. It's awful to have to spend 5 days worrying about the what if's at this stage. I hope everyone else waiting for test results gets good news. I think the diet worked for me, blip or no, it's a good start for baby smile

StiffyByng Thu 21-Mar-13 11:42:54

Hurray, mama! Enjoy your pregnancy.

And a hearty hurray too to CTG - no more scans or appointments. It's like being normal.

My fasting blood this morning was right down to almost fine, with no interventions at all on my part. My cold is hopefully disappearing and the relief of thinking in three more weeks I can be one of the crowd again has maybe relaxed me.

mamabrownbear Thu 21-Mar-13 12:11:22

Fingers crossed for you stiffy x

BabyHMummy Thu 21-Mar-13 12:13:42

not sure if i am posting on the correct thread so apologies if not!

Does anyone else ahve hyperinsulinemia as a result of PCOS?? If so how did you cope with the GTT. I am terrified that it will make me ill and potentially harm the baby. i have spoken to the diabetic clinic at the hospital and they were very helpful but i am concerned about how to tackle the issue with my consultant when i go for my abnormality scan appt.

StiffyByng Thu 21-Mar-13 13:58:31

Hi

I know nothing at all about your condition but have since googled and now consider myself expert.

There's no need to have a GTT - it's an optional test. Particularly if you think you will need to monitor blood sugars and diet in pregnancy anyway, which I'd have thought you might want to. The GTT just identifies people who have a problem, and you already know you do. What did the diabetic clinic say?

greyrabbit81 Thu 21-Mar-13 19:39:00

Thanks everyone! Had a growth scan yesterday and she's measuring a bit bit, but still within normal range. We've always expected her to be a bit bigger as both me and OH were larger babies (he was over 12lbs).

Readings are meant to be under 6 fasting and 7.8 after meals. No more blips since avoiding wheat, so fingers crossed when I go to clinic in the morning!

BabyHMummy Thu 21-Mar-13 20:53:04

Diabetic clinic said decision is up to my consultant but i can ask them to confer with senior diabetic consultant. No one has said i don't have to have it though. Has all very much been "you are fat so you have to have it"

The locum i say at my 12 week scan refused to even discuss it although she did make a note that i had queried the need for it.

StiffyByng Thu 21-Mar-13 23:24:08

Nice generous levels, greyrabbit! Mine are under 5.5 before meals and 7 afterwards.

No one can MAKE you have the GTT, BHM. Especially if what you're saying is that your insulin levels are out of whack and you're concerned already. They can do other diagnostics if they want.

BabyHMummy Fri 22-Mar-13 21:57:52

thanks for the info Stiffybyng. I will at least be armed with the right info for my 20 wk appt.

My insulin levels are perfectly normal as long as i am careful with my diet. I monitor them daily and are around 5.8 before meals and 6.5 within an hour of eating so i can't see that there is any issue. The problem i have is that my blood is resistant to insulin so if i eat/drink anything that is high in sugar my body over produces the insulin and my sugar levels plummet through the floor and i can end up with a hypo which is why i don't want the GTT cos they give you lucozade which is the worst thing in the world for me!

Mummysaysno Sat 23-Mar-13 09:49:58

Sorry BabyHMummy, I have no advice to offer...but hope that you are able to explain your concerns and are listened to!!!

Newbie question here...one week I'm doing fine, although fed up of so much vegetable soup! But right now I I'm only either drinking water or black tea...what else can I drink? Used to love the odd hot chocolate or chai tea latte, or hot ribena... What else is there that's ok to drink...and what do people order when they go to Starbucks etc? Are those frappucinos ok or too much of a sugar burst?

Thanks wise ladies!!

BabyHMummy Sat 23-Mar-13 12:09:19

Mummysayssno - thanks hun, you and me both!! On your point, if you go to the 'free from' ailses in the supermarket they do diabetic approved things like hot chocolate etc - I can't imagine that the odd latte or frappucino would do that much harm. think there is a lot of scaremongering - have they said you are type 1 or 2?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now