Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

The All New And Shiny Gestational Diabetes Support Thread

(251 Posts)
midori1999 Mon 11-Mar-13 21:11:03

The old thread seems to have died a death, so thought of start a new one for anyone who wants some support or just to chat about GD.

I'm 9 weeks pregnant now, had GD in my last (5th) pregnancy and had my GTT today, expecting to be diagnosed tomorrow as my levels are already silly.

mumbaisapphire Sat 16-Mar-13 01:39:06

Had my appointment today with the obstetrician who was really very refreshing and relaxed. She basically said that coming to see her was a formality purely because my diabetes is well under control with diet and also that the scan showed a normal sized baby. I asked her about induction and she said that she would happily let me go a week over my due date. Interestingly enough she said that doctors are often divided in how to proceed with women who are not on insulin or other medication and managing to control it with diet. She said some of her colleagues would insist on an induction at 39 weeks or on the due date. In her opinion though if all is fine she sees no evidence to suggest it is necessary to induce early. Having said all that though my baby is currently breech at 33+3 so unless it turns the I could be facing a c-section in any case. So for now I'm concentrating all my efforts in turning this baby! It would be Sod's law to have a relaxed obstetrician only to have a breech baby.

mamabrownbear Sat 16-Mar-13 09:20:43

I'm trying the healthy diet and I'll update on Wednesday after my appointment, fingers crossed x

CheapTarnishedGlitter Sun 17-Mar-13 13:43:25

Mumbai your obstetrician sounds fab!! How nice to be allowed to go over if needed... shame about the positioning though. What's been agreed about that? Have they offered to try and turn the baby? Will cross fingers that it just giggles round on its own...

Mama good luck with the diet, and the appointment! I've got mine on Weds too complete with scan so hoping he's still a good size.

I know gd isn't the worst complication by any means, but we had our last NCT session yesterday and one of the couples had bought everyone a creme egg for the coffee break - oh my goodness, the smell of 15 other people chomping chocolate!!! I know we need to be quite good after birth to reduce risk of developing type 2 later on but my list of "must-haves" is getting longer and longer!!

StiffyByng Sun 17-Mar-13 16:58:33

Obstretician sounds lovely, Mumbai. How reassuring.

Good luck Mama and CTG. The Creme Egg incident sounds testing! I think a few treats are fine in a post-birth diet.

Does anyone know if there's any way to predict who might 'keep' diabetes? I have convinced myself I'll be one of them and am depressing the hell out of myself.

Fasting bloods are back at borderline despite middle of night cheese munching. But well below NICE borderline I guess. Worry, worry, worry. sad

midori1999 Sun 17-Mar-13 21:24:34

I would have broken and eaten the cream egg.... just gone for a brisk walk afterwards and I'm super strict about what I eat...

I've found some museli type cereal which I was suprised to find didn't make my readings go crazy. It's an Eat Natural nuts and seeds thing, which is quite low carb and was delicious and a change from eggs. I didn't have any protein with it, but presumably the nuts and seeds were protein enough.

mumbaisapphire Sun 17-Mar-13 22:58:27

Yup me too I would have cracked for a creme egg. I was naughty last night or so I thought and we had Wendy's burgers and fries for dinner (am outside the UK) and I allowed myself a small chocolate frosty. Did 15 minutes walking on the spot afterwards convinced my blood sugars would be double figures and they were 6.4! Maybe it was the protein in the burger, plus the cheese and bacon that helped. Who knows?

Am pleased with the obstetrician's guidance. Re: the breech birth she said I have two options; book straight in for a c-section, book in for an ECV (or is it EVC?) or go ahead with natural birth. She then went onto explain the pros and cons of the ECV - apparently they book you in for this procedure and they give you an epidural. It is carried out in theatre so that should the baby not react well or show signs of distress- heart rate drops etc. then they immediately do a c-section there and then, hence why they give you the epidural for the procedure. If baby turns and isn't distressed then they induce you there and then and you can go ahead and have a natural birth albeit with an epidural. So to be honest if that's what I'm facing then i think I'll skip the ECV choice and just go for a c section,as I always envisioned I would give birth without an epidural. Not sure i want to be induced with an epidural. The other option of giving birth to a breech baby is also not appealing and she said that it will entirely depend on who is on staff that night, as the midwife isn't trained to deliver a breech baby and neither are some obstetricians because they did their schooling when it was deemed unsafe so she said there is a whole bunch of obs who trained 15 years ago or so who have no experience and would refuse.

Mummysaysno Mon 18-Mar-13 14:04:14

Hi...I was diagnosed with GD today and feel completely gutted. Been reading this thread which is nice to read about other people but feels daunting to have to think so closely about what I eat as I don't usually plan breakfast or lunch, would typically eat cereal for breakfast (crunchy nut cornflakes a favourite at the moment) and something like portion of last night's dinner or pitta and dips for lunch (I've never seen whole meal pitta for sale where we live) and live outside UK where there isn't the same choice of food (or maybe that's me just being half-empty about it).
I see an endocrinologist tomorrow, very cynical about expectations as where I live it's v intervention so I feel like he'll just be talking about controlling through medication. But I'd love to be proved wrong.
This is baby number 4. Numbers two and three were big babies, but never had the GTT before.
I was a size 12 before pregnancy, usually a size 10, so was a bit heavier than I like, but not dramatically so.
Feel like I've caused this through bad diet and not enough exercise, feel like I'm a crap Mum to my three kids for allowing this to happen. Now worried they'll all get Type 2 diabetes, as I clearly have no idea what a healthy normal diet is. Just feel like a big failure right now!

curiousgeorgie Mon 18-Mar-13 14:10:46

Don't feel bad, it can happen to anyone, I am a size 14/16 so a bit bigger but my size 8 friend with no risk factors also had it!

It sounds so daunting but it's not so bad.. I hate meal planning too but have found it okay to eat cereal for breakfast, I have Cheerios because that's what I had pre pregnancy but I'm sure you could experiment with different ones?

For lunch I buy a bunch of soups, the covent garden ones or sainsburys own fresh soups that aren't potato based, like broccoli and Stilton or carrot & coriander amd also microwaveable cauliflower cheese or broccoli cheese... It's harder for me because I'm vegetarian but my friend used to eat a bacon sandwich on 50/50 bread (or sometimes normal bread!!) And be absolutely fine because of the protein.

By evening a 'normal' dinner with a slightly smaller portion of carbs seems to be okay for most people x

midori1999 Mon 18-Mar-13 14:26:00

Oh no, mummysaysno. sad

You haven't caused this, GD is hormonal and many slim, fit women get it too. You haven't done anything to cause this and you couldn't have prevented it.

I'm not sure about where you are, but you'll likely be given the chance to diet control before any meds as aside from anything else, if you can diet control them meds would cause your sugars to go too low.

It can be a shock when you're first diagnosed. I actually burst into tears with my last pregnancy when they diagnosed me. In the end I just decided that as long as my baby came out alive and ok, then it didn't matter how we got to that stage. I think that was made easier for me though as I already knew id need a consultant led birth and had had one with my previous children and they all went well.

Mummysaysno Mon 18-Mar-13 14:39:23

Thanks ladies...I just feel guilty having another baby and feel like I should have been content with the three (loud, naughty, demanding but I love them so much!!) children I have and now feel like I've put me at risk and as their Mum that's selfish as they need a healthy Mum. DD (age 8) knows and saw me upset and of course she gets really worried if she thinks I'm sad, and I hate to think i'm going to create anxiety for her. In the meantime I can feel this dear baby pushing and kicking away (28 weeks) and feel guilty for thinking that as it's not the baby's fault, and this baby is just as precious and miraculous as the other three are.
Really appreciate the replies...I should read up on GD but equally don't want to read rubbish on the Internet so purposefully only read on nhs website which I found quite depressing.
Sorry I know you're all going through it, and I know people go through so much much worse. But it really helps knowing others are managing and not wallowing in self pity!!!
I'm also veggie, although I did decide if it helps to find suitable food I would eat meat/fish.
Sorry again for being so blooming miserable...hopefully I'll get information on diet tomorrow and not just medication, but if need be I'll be picking your brains!!!!

mumbaisapphire Mon 18-Mar-13 15:30:57

It's not your fault. That's the one thing I remember from the diabetes class I had to attend when I was diagnosed. The nurse explained that there are certain people who have higher risks such as women over 35 or people from certain ethnic backgrounds, but essentially it is up to your pancreas. We have to produce something like 3 times the amount of insulin we would in pregnancy and sometimes our pancreas' just can't keep up with the demand. As the baby grows so does the demand and this is why they don't test until later on but also why you might cope fine at say 32 weeks and then you can eat the same things in week 38 but your blood sugars go way higher. So don't feel guilty. It's not your fault. On the positive side you know about it now, so you CAN do something about it with regard to your diet and exercise. Good luck and share here with any food questions or recipes. I had beef stew yesterday and mashed potato - just a tiny amount and then did 20 mins walking on the spot and blood sugar was 5.2!!!
Today's menu is: porridge with sweetener for breakfast. Almonds for snack, half a can of baked beans and one slice wholemeal toast with veggie crudités and spinach dip for lunch. Cheese and 2 oatcakes for afternoon snack and small jacket potato with homemade coleslaw and cheese and salad for dinner. Most likely will have either a sugar free yoghurt or sugar free choc mousse for my evening snack. What's everyone else eating?

StiffyByng Mon 18-Mar-13 15:34:49

Nothing very exciting for me! Your food sounds lovely.

I know it's hard but please don't blame yourself, Mummysays. I am overweight and am furious with myself for it, but it is random really.

I am very worried today. I had the same breakfast as ever and got a reading of 5.9 after 90 minutes and a 40 minute walk. I had a fairly standard lunch and got a PP reading of 6.2 after 20 minutes marching on the spot. I tested again an hour later and my reading was 6.6. What on earth? I have a cold which has been lurking for days but seems a bit worse today. Could this be what's behind this or has my pancreas just given up today?

curiousgeorgie Mon 18-Mar-13 15:39:13

If you're ill it makes your readings higher... I had eaten nothing for hours and went to hospital with some bleeding and they checked my blood and it was 6.5 which was my highest ever on nothing! They told me its normal wink

StiffyByng Mon 18-Mar-13 15:41:43

Thanks. I do hope so. I'd seen references to it online but wasn't sure it counted for GD. I keep thinking of my clinic's dire warnings of it getting harder and harder but would that really happen in one day?! And my sugars rising after a meal and exercise was just bizarre, so your 6.5 reassures me a bit.

Mummysaysno Mon 18-Mar-13 15:51:14

Thanks all...it's night time where I am...will post with an update after appt tomorrow. Some really sensible advice...which is v v helpful so thank you xx

CheapTarnishedGlitter Mon 18-Mar-13 18:03:33

Mumbai can't say I blame you about wanting to go straight for section. Each to their own but a bad experience in my family of trying to turn baby has put me off - I know the surgery is no walk in the park but at least it's tough on me rather than the baby!

Mummy - hi! Echo what everyone else says - not your fault! We do seem to react differently to different foods on here so this is by no means gospel but I'd advise watching out for the crunchy nut cornflakes... that was my breakfast of choice until I started testing. Sadly a tentative half bowl sent my sugars rocketing!

On the plus side I chanced an areo caramel mousse after tea yesterday and my reading was still under 7. Woooo!!

Stiffy were your drinking patterns any different? Mw said to always drink lots to keep everything flushing through so perhaps if you drank less than usual that might explain it?

midori1999 Mon 18-Mar-13 18:11:06

Stiffy, yes, you're levels do go up if you're ill. I have found also, that if I test fasting levels at say, 6 am, they are lower than if I go back to sleep and test again at 8 or 9am, which is obviously the opposite to what you expect, so could you maybe test your fasting earlier and try that? Hopefully you'll be back to normal tomorrow.

I had my first appointment with the diabetic/obstetric team today. It went well actually, they were really lovely and the obsterician too all my (many!) complications into account and I feel like I will get good, allround care. They want me to test pre meals only for now, but that might change later on. They've started me on metformin as targets are under 5.5 fasting then under 6.0 pre meals/pre bed and my fastings have been between 5.9 and 6.5 all week. They are seeing me next week to decide whether to up the metformin to two tablets twice daily or what to do from there, but they think insulin is likely as I was on so much last time. They are also treating me as having existing type 2 prior to pregnancy, despite having been tested for it quite recently and will therefore do the anomoly scan at 18 weeks and a detailed cardia scan on the baby at 22 weeks. I'll have two weekly appointments until 30 weeks, then weekly appointments with fetal monitoring at each appointment and also doppler scans to check placental function and growth scans 4 weekly. So, all in all, they are on top of it all.... In spite of all the appointments it seems they are happy to just keep an eye on how it goes re delivery, but they won't let me go overdue, which is unlikely for me anyway, as only one of my 5 (natural) labours has occurred after 38 weeks.

StiffyByng Mon 18-Mar-13 18:11:56

I usually drink plenty of water but I'll maybe boost it!

I do have great jealousy of you lot eating some of this stuff and not going over 7! I think I definitely have a worse case than you!

StiffyByng Mon 18-Mar-13 18:12:49

I don't always punctuate with exclamation marks. blush

midori1999 Mon 18-Mar-13 18:37:43

Stiffy, you'd be suprised what does and doesn't affect your sugar levels. I get a blood sugar of 12 something after two slices of seeded toast, but if I eat a scoop of Ben and Jerrys after my dinner, as long as I didn't have much carbs with my actual dinner, my levels aren't too bad. I couldn't even contemplate eating a bowl of cheerios for breakfast. Different foods affect different people differently. Have your diabetic team discussed not cutting too many carbs out though, as this can actually be quite dangerous?

StiffyByng Mon 18-Mar-13 19:11:05

I had a big lecture about it. I eat carbs at every meal but breakfast but they are very complex indeed-lots of pulses, carby veg and oat-based stuff. I can get away with small amounts of fatty potatoes with lots of protein, a slice of toast with lots of protein and a small amount of wholemeal pasta. I haven't actually tried anything that sounds scary and I suppose I'm nervous that they're right and my body is getting worse and worse. I did experiment a while back with a Double Decker and only got 7.1. I suppose I shall have to wait till this cold is better and then find out the gruesome truth.

MorganLeFey Mon 18-Mar-13 19:38:12

Another one (probably) signing up! Turns out I was high on the mini-GTT that everyone gets at my hospital - so booked for the proper GTT on Friday & feeling a bit pessimistic.
No particular age/ethnic/strong FH risk factors so it would mostly be my rubbish diet +/- slight tendency to being PCOS-y, whoops.

That said - obviously in denial still tonight looking at what I've got for pudding... blush

mamabrownbear Mon 18-Mar-13 19:38:53

Have to admit after feeling much better all weekend I had a horrible day today. I was ok until after lunch when my head just got so cloudy I couldn't think straight and felt awful all afternoon, foggy head and starving! I actually think it's more stress related than food because as soon as I finish work and start to relax I feel much better, like I did at the weekend. Poor DH had to feed me most of the afternoon because I couldn't think straight. Not sure how I will cope when he is back to work tomorrow!

StiffyByng Mon 18-Mar-13 19:42:33

Poor you, mama. I think a lot of it is psychological. I hope tomorrow isn't as bad as you think it might be.

Morgan, loads of people who 'fail' the first test have no trouble with the GTT so you never know. Diet has nothing to do with it either, although PCOSyness can do of course. Enjoy your pudding!

mumbaisapphire Mon 18-Mar-13 21:18:21

Yes agreed it is a common misconception that women cause this by what they have eaten. That's not true. I immediately thought that my chocolate consumption at Christmas (that didn't seem to stop after Christmas) was somehow to blame. It wasn't. Diet is however the solution to controlling it, but not directly the root cause.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now