Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sway the sex - did you do it/did it work?!

(20 Posts)
Saundy Sun 10-Mar-13 10:18:36

This is just a bit of fun because I'm bored & to distract me from one of those irrationally emotional days!

I may have taken cranberry supplements when TTC to sway things in favour of a girl (which has DP convinced it will be a boy to teach me a lesson).

Am a long way off knowing if my efforts have succeeded but was wondering is anyone else had done anything similar & more to the point did it work?!

Rockchick1984 Sun 10-Mar-13 10:20:48

Well, seeing as how it's the sperm that determines the sex, nothing you do will affect it hmm

beckie90 Sun 10-Mar-13 11:11:51

No but the theory is its supposed to make things in there favour the X or Y sperm like acidic is supposed to favour the X as the Y sperm don't live very long in acidic conditions (which) the cranberry is meant to do, change the PH down there, and visa versa for the Y sperm. X also live longer then the Y apparantly so they say to DTD further away from ov and closer for a boy. BUT I don't put much stock into this tbh I just think you get what your get. I'm having my 3rd boy and although I wasn't ttc I was drinking.plenty of cranberry before I concieved as I like it lol. And I only dtd few days prior to ov mines still a boy smile

Saundy Sun 10-Mar-13 11:13:21

I think the idea is its supposed to make the environment more hospitable to the X swimmers as they are more robust than the Y, in the unlikely event that such a thing is possible. Like I said just a bit of fun smile

Saundy Sun 10-Mar-13 11:15:07

Haha dammit, DP could well be right then!

beckie90 Sun 10-Mar-13 11:19:13

No harm in trying though some people do sway n get there desired sex but I just think its more coincidence really but hey u never know. My dp has got an all male family so even if I swayed etc id be very likely to get boys still. But I'm very happy with my 2 boys and lil boy I'm having they are lil characters smile

Saundy Sun 10-Mar-13 11:25:21

Well he's in the boy camp and I'm in the girl camp but as long as its healthy we'll be thrilled with whatever. It's all 50/50 in his family so could go either way, though I'm sure if its a girl I'll SWEAR it was the cranberry haha.

curiousgeorgie Sun 10-Mar-13 11:33:42

I'm sure it's all rubbish but we sort of tried the Dr Shettles method and it 'worked'

We have 1 DD and I'm expecting another...

But I'm pretty sure it's just 50/50 wink

goodbyekitty123 Sun 10-Mar-13 13:13:40

I ate loads of sweet potato while ttc and I'm having a girl so it worked for me smile

beckie90 Sun 10-Mar-13 13:19:33

If its mainly 50 50 in his family then thats good smile dp is 1 of 4 boys his father comes from 13 children (11 boys and only 2 girls) all dps brothers have boys and we have boys Haha

Saundy Sun 10-Mar-13 13:43:30

I just looked up Dr Shettles Method & think I may have inadvertently levelled the playing field so it looks as though its game on! I like sweet potato too so I missed a trick there.

Shettles V Cranberry V It's all BS anyway

beckie90 it sounds like you were at an unfair disadvantage really so we'll not count out the cranberry just yet grin

LikeCandy Sun 10-Mar-13 14:06:40

Entirely unintentionally but I reads that the closer to ovulation you DTD, the more male sperm (fast swimming, but short lv

LikeCandy Sun 10-Mar-13 14:11:41

Entirely unintentionally but I reads that the closer to ovulation you DTD, the more male sperm (fast swimming, but short living) are likely to succeed, and if you DTD a few days before the female sperm (slow swimming, longer living) are more likely to 'win'!

I am fairly sure we DTD the morning before I ovulated (only because I got a huge headache that afternoon) so the males should have been in with a chance, but we're having a girl!

(Oops sorry if that posted twice!)

Crmmum Sun 10-Mar-13 21:00:55

I decided that even if it might take longer to fall preggers with baby number 2, it was worth giving it a shot to conceive a girl... So we did not have sex when I was ovulating (the window during which an ovulation test proves positive) and only Dtd a few days before. Fell pregnant in 4 months with a girl... Something about the female sperm living longer?

lolalotta Sun 10-Mar-13 21:24:11

Shettles worked for me! I know it's probably just 50/50 though! wink

Chellonian Mon 11-Mar-13 08:36:49

But the odds are 50/50 (or 55/45) for each pregnancy, so it doesn't matter what families are like or what kids you've already got. How would the sperm know what the others were?! confused

beckie90 Mon 11-Mar-13 08:47:43

Chellonian if you do look it up though some familys do have a gender run in the family Like I said dps farther who is 60 there is 11 boys and only 2 girls in his siblings, there has been no more girls since that time been born, this is my partners 4th boy. Each time u have the same sex gender the odd of getting the opposite decreases, only ever so slightly, the actual statistics to start off with are 51/49. 51 been the boys. I've done a whole lot of reading up on this as I'm aware of dps family tree.

Saundy Mon 11-Mar-13 16:41:33

If it runs in the family they must just produce more of one than the other I presume.

I have to say I'm preferring the Shettles didn't work stories seems as by my dates I was likely OV on Valentines day, needless to say we dtd - all that cranberry wasted lol.

Saying that it seems to be 50/50 for who it worked for so that probably says it all!

beckie90 Mon 11-Mar-13 17:20:55

Obviously every man produces female and male sperm but I do think some people may have a different quantity of one to the other like I've seen people with 8 girls also vica versa, however it isn't that common, most people do have a mixed family ratio (mine is, just dps isn't) obviously if I Carried on going I would get a girl somewere down the line, the question is where down the line Haha? On a site it is claimed that after 3 boys the chance of a girl is 43% so 57% for boy, it doesn't go to 4 boys though but presume its around 40/60. I'm very content with the boys though so this ones my last. Hope you get your girl hun x

rosiedays Mon 11-Mar-13 17:31:10

I have a large extended family, (4 sisters + 35 cousins) of the last 80 births only 3 have been boys!!!! no surprise i'm having a DD (no 3)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now