Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

12 week scan - panicking

(19 Posts)
Ra88 Sat 09-Mar-13 16:36:36

After reading numerous threads about ladies going to their 12 week scan and then find out that the pregnancy has ended .. I am not panicking ! I have a dd and we wanted to take her with us but now I don't want to just incase its bad news but then again I don't know why I feel that it could be ! Grr ! Anyone else felt so worried suddenly ?

Ra88 Sat 09-Mar-13 16:37:09

Now * panicking damn iphone

MOTU Sat 09-Mar-13 16:55:48

I felt like this with my first and feel the same again . Mot but you can do about it except examine the facts; mc of this kind are actually quite rare, it just seems like your hearing about it all the time because your anxiety latches onto the bad stories. Bottom line, if you get to 12 weeks with no pain or bleeding then odds are your looking at a nice strong foetus , good luck-when's your scan?

Wolfiefan Sat 09-Mar-13 16:59:25

Many hospitals do not allow children in for scans. Perhaps bring a friend or relative with you who can look after her and bring her in it you want her in. Or let her come to a later (or 3D scan.)
Good luck!

Dolallytats Sat 09-Mar-13 17:27:36

It's completely natural to feel anxious and I'm sure everything will be ok. However, if it were me I would probably not take DD, just in case. Maybe take her to the 20 week one instead.

Good luck!!

Bluemonkeyspots Sat 09-Mar-13 17:31:05

They are even less keen to have dc at the 20 week scan though as that is the longer one where they are actually looking for any abnormalities.

I would book a private scan for around 22 weeks if you really want dd to see it.

TheCountessOlenska Sat 09-Mar-13 18:23:04

I took DD into both of mine - they didn't say it was a problem? I didn't take her in to "view" the scan iyswim, just had no where else to leave her! I did consider what if there was bad news but I thought as long as we could stay calm in there, it would go over her head. She was only 2 though, I would feel differently about an older child who would be more aware.

Bodicea Sat 09-Mar-13 20:20:32

I am a sonographer and believe me when I say we really don't like patients bringing their children to the scan. They are often very distracting when we are trying to concentrate and yes if we do have to give bad news. ( which I would like to add is rare at the 12 week scan ) it becomes very difficult . We might be not say it is a problem but that is just because we are too polite. if you really want your child to se the scan I suggest you bring a parent/ friend to sit with them outside and once the checks are done most sonographers are happy for you to bring them in for a quick peak!

holidaysdistantmemory Sat 09-Mar-13 21:08:48

Whilst it is very very rare, this did happen to me, I was 12 wks and had bump, no bleeding no signs in advance until ultrasound showed that baby had died. I was very very glad that I did not have either of my dcs with me and for them to see me so distraught. I was by myself which was horrible, I would recommend you take another adult (partner, parent or friend) for support. Good luck, its very rare for this to happens to others.

legallyblond Sat 09-Mar-13 23:12:22

My hospital has blanket policy of no children. While chances are all will be fine, I CERTAINLY would not take your DC.

Ra88 Sun 10-Mar-13 11:30:40

Thanks everyone . My scan is 2nd April , I will not be taking my dd I have spoken with my partner and decided best not to! Iv had no issues at all and I didn't with my first pregnancy the whole way through so maybe I'm just hormonal ATM!

Ra88 Sun 12-May-13 21:14:08

I forgot to add here after my scan . it turned out I must have had some kind of instinct that it wasn't meant to be as I did have a mmc sad

Christelle2207 Sun 12-May-13 21:21:43

sorry to hear this x

HumphreyCobbler Sun 12-May-13 21:22:14

I am so sorry to read this Ra88. It is a terrible thing to happen.

It did happen to me and the shock is awful.

BrienneOfTarth Sun 12-May-13 21:28:01

So sorry to hear this ra88.

WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 12-May-13 21:33:11

Oh Ra I am so sorry sad

This happened to be too and I know it is horrible. Your instincts were obviously right and not having your dd with you was for the best.

xx

LottyLikesWindows Sun 12-May-13 21:52:14

Ra88 I'm so sorry to hear this. It's such a heartbreaking experience to go through. I'm sending you lots of hugs.
It happened to me too - with a slight difference. Had a tiny speck of spotting four days before my 12 week scan in November. Had a scan on the same day and found out I had a MMC at 6+2. Am 6 weeks today and counting the days and crossing fingers til my first early scan on Friday.
There is a lot to be said for female intuition.

MrsMarigold Sun 12-May-13 21:57:31

Sorry to hear this - I hope you aren't feeling too lonely - I had a similar experience and found it a very lonely and sad experience. Best wishes. xx

Ra88 Mon 13-May-13 07:58:27

thank you all for your replies, I am sorry for your losses , I was 10 weeks when I was scanned but was told that the growth stopped at around 6+3 . I'd had terrible sickness and then it suddenly stopped along with other symptoms which is a tell tale so I now hear ! we are ttc again now but I am going to be very anxious the whole time x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now