Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Which electric breast bump would you buy from the ones below?

(42 Posts)
ButteryJam Fri 08-Mar-13 20:29:48

Hi,

Which electric breast bump would you buy from the ones below?

Ameda Lactaline Personal Dual Electric Breastpump

Medela Swing Electric Breastpump with Calma

Lansinoh Affinity Double Electric Breast Pump

I'd welcome other recommendations too of course! smile

Thanks! smile

Rowlers Fri 08-Mar-13 20:33:02

I had the ameda one and thought it was great. That was almost 9 years ago though!

ButteryJam Fri 08-Mar-13 20:39:20

Thanks Rowlers smile Anyone used one more recently?

toomuchpink Fri 08-Mar-13 20:43:22

Madela, madela, madela. I had twins and madela is the one my maternity hospital recommends to twin mothers. My brother and his wife had a premature baby in a different country and the hospital there recommended madela. I suppose it is possible the company is very good at schmoozing hospital staff, but I assume it is because it was a very good pump. It worked for me.

toomuchpink Fri 08-Mar-13 20:43:56

PS I had twins in Aug 2011 and my brother had his baby this xmas just gone.

Hi. Am using the medela one at the mo (without the calma, whatever they is!) and I love it. It's easy to use and VERY effective- I get 5oz at a time. It's also quick- about 20 mins a boob. Well worth it. I did buy a manual one but didn't get in with it.

ButteryJam Fri 08-Mar-13 20:45:37

toomuchpink Did you use the dual pump in Medela or the single one? It is quite expensive at £200+

ButteryJam Fri 08-Mar-13 20:47:05

elvislives2012, thank you! smile Do you think it is better getting a single or a dual pump?

emsyj Fri 08-Mar-13 20:48:22

I've got the Medela Swing and am using it daily at the moment - not had any problems and it takes me about 10-15 minutes to get 150ml.

The pump I used in hospital with DD1 was an Ameda, I think that is a good brand.

justonemorethread Fri 08-Mar-13 20:48:30

I had a medela, no calma, whatever that is. It wad brilliant. Didn't have twins though!

emsyj Fri 08-Mar-13 20:49:56

I've got a single by the way - the hospital grade pump I used last time when I was in with DD1 was a double, it's quite a faff doing two boobs at once. I would probably not bother personally, I don't have enough hands to use a double these days with DD2!

ButteryJam Fri 08-Mar-13 20:53:45

justonemorethread and emsyj, thank you ladies! smile

The Ameda dual pump one is reduced to £59.99 whereas the Medela swing is for £110. Which one would you go for?

ButteryJam Fri 08-Mar-13 20:55:07

emsyj, surely a double takes half the time to express? Or doesn't it work that way? blush sorry don't have clue!

Weissdorn Fri 08-Mar-13 20:55:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CelticPromise Fri 08-Mar-13 20:56:16

I've heard great things about the Medela, but I wouldn't bother buying a pump at all in pregnancy. You never know how much you'll need it, if at all. Some women get on better with hand expressing. If you need one on a hurry you can buy one from Boots or get one next day delivery (speaking as mum of a prem baby who has bought one in a hurry!)

I had the Medela Pump in Style, which is flipping great but pricey.

Princesspond Fri 08-Mar-13 20:59:33

I think it depends how much you will use it/milk you need. I have borrowed the Ameda one and it was fab, it worked well and I could express a good deal of milk (I think of if it as in 'industrial' breast pump) pumping both breasts together saves time. I don't know if they've changed it but some parts can't be sterilised in microwave/steamer but have to be boiled/Milton.

I've also used the Medela that was also good and easy to use.

I would say for occasional or daily use Medela was great, if you want to pump and save loads of milk the Ameda is worth it.

ButteryJam Fri 08-Mar-13 21:02:18

Weissdorn, CelticPromise, Princesspond, thank you smile

Princesspond, I plan to use it everyday after 6 months, when dc goes to nursery.

racheld33 Fri 08-Mar-13 21:03:07

Hi, I bought the single medela pump swing for DS two years ago, used it for 12 months no problems at all. when I went back to work at 6 months, I expressed in my lunch hour and manage to fill 2 small bottles in 20 mins. Found it very efficient. Got it ready for my next arrival!

emsyj Fri 08-Mar-13 21:04:17

Well I only express one bottle a day and that only takes about 15 minutes, so I think for me the added faff of having to hold two pumps (thereby having no hands at all to hold my cup of tea, change the TV channel or make toast for DD1) wouldn't justify saving 7 minutes. I can't remember how much quicker it was using the double in hospital, but it was a totally different type of pump (it was a massive, hospital grade machine on wheels....) so not really comparable with the Swing anyway.

You can hire hospital grade pumps from the NCT for about £40 a month I think - maybe try a double and see if you like it?

Merinda Fri 08-Mar-13 21:07:00

Used Medela swing (single), it was great.

toomuchpink Fri 08-Mar-13 21:07:38

Hiya,
Dual pump? Does that do both boobs at the same time? If so, no. I used the single one.

toomuchpink Fri 08-Mar-13 21:10:09

Unless you produce tons of milk, there could be disadvantages to a dual pump. Assuming you are only looking to feed one baby, you may want to pump the side he/she has not fed from at the most recent feed. I was not sure what you meant by with calma either.

ButteryJam Fri 08-Mar-13 21:12:20

racheld33, Merinda, and toomuchpink, thank you smile

toomuchpink, I have no idea what calma is either, that is how it is advertised on Amazon.

MinnesotaNice Fri 08-Mar-13 21:16:56

I used a Medela double (US version) 5 days a week for 5 months. It was fantastic! Honestly, it was just as effective as the hospital-grade one I was lent for a week, just more compact was all. It pumped both sides simultaneously and was even better once I bought a bra for hand-free pumping. Just brought a book with me and had a nice 20 min break each day! Usually was able to get a little more than 1 feed with each pumping session. Between that and the stash I built up before returning to work, DS made it to 1 year BF.

CelticPromise Fri 08-Mar-13 21:18:57

Calma is a type of bottle/teat I believe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now