Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Miracle Cure Wanted for Trapped Wind Hell

(41 Posts)
Saundy Fri 08-Mar-13 07:03:28

Nobody told me that trapped wind was a pregnancy thing blush. I thought this early on my only symptom (other than no periods & positive tests) would be some cracking new boobs (which I'm still awaiting) but no, its awful painful trapped wind.

I can't sleep the night through its so bad. What can a pregnant person take/do?? Has anyone else had this?

It doesn't help that it feels the same as period pains to me (always has) so that makes it even more stressful. Help please.

Yup, Deflatine, bicarb in water, and tummy rubbing. This time round I used the colic rubbing techniques I learnt in baby massage and it worked really well!

The bicarb thing also helps heartburn.

tootssweet Sun 10-Mar-13 00:57:36

One thing that works for my (non-pregnant) trapped wind is a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda dissolved in some warm water. Tastes foul but completely gets rid of bloated wind & pains. DP tried it recently after writing me off as weird for years & he was amazed too.

piprabbit Sun 10-Mar-13 00:32:50

And I second everyone else who has recommended peppermint tea - works a treat for bringing up wind.

piprabbit Sun 10-Mar-13 00:32:11

The thigh pain might be sciatica - worth telling your MW about if it persists.

dottypyjamas Sun 10-Mar-13 00:20:25

Another advocate here for all fours yoga position, along with Rennies. hope it improves op!

stacey212528 Sat 09-Mar-13 22:48:03

Lie on your tummy for 5 minutes. Works miracles! Obviously dependent on how far along you are. X

AmayaBuzzbee Sat 09-Mar-13 21:04:11

Both Rennie Deflatines and Windeze tablets work well and are fine to take when pregnant. They saved me from the trapped wind hell and I now have a stack of them so I won't get into those troubles again!

Saundy Sat 09-Mar-13 19:50:12

Surely fizzy water makes it worse?! The part that's wierd is the accompanying pains in my right thigh - but only on a night. Any other takers for this?

fatandlumpy Sat 09-Mar-13 19:47:25

I'm nearly 20 weeks and I still get trapped wind. It's freaking sore!!! I drink lots of fizzy spring water and try and burp it out. Walking around helps me shift it - but I have to make sure no one else is around...

Saundy Sat 09-Mar-13 19:47:21

Ahhaha that really made me laugh (which shifted a bit thank you) so no not bad just the rock n roll inner workings of the sisterhood grin

poachedeggs Sat 09-Mar-13 19:01:42

Is it bad that I'm checking back to find out about a complete stranger's farts? grin

anderel Sat 09-Mar-13 16:37:21

Rennie Deflatine is safe to use during pregnancy. It worked the one time I took it - at 22 weeks the trapped wind was exchanged for constipation. Otherwise I used the bum-in-air technique with varying success.

Whatever you do DO NOT take Lactulose for trapped wind. My MW suggested it and it made the wind 10x worse. Lactulose has been brilliant for constipation however.

BiteTheTopsOffIcedGems Sat 09-Mar-13 14:13:06

I agree with what poachedeggs said.

Saundy Sat 09-Mar-13 14:09:55

Actually something I'd forgotten about (because I'm always half asleep when it happens - but has just happened again) is that when the pain is the worst it seems to go all the way into my right thigh, did anyone else get similar?

Saundy Sat 09-Mar-13 14:05:53

Haha right o, on the bed on all fours it is then, if that doesn't work I'll slowly crawl down, if that doesn't bum up push ups a bit & if that doesn't hopefully the delirious laughter will have!

I have to say I'm not massively on board with this still being a thing 9 weeks in, especially as I lose my grip on telling the BF its ok for me not him haha. This seems to be a little advertised 'perk' of pregnancy, I shudder to think what else is in the post!

DizzyDizzy Sat 09-Mar-13 13:03:24

peppermint tea is supposed to be good, but if like me, you can't stand it.... i kneel on the bed, then bend over, so head's down on the bed, and bottom in the air. i swear it works! you look like a tw*t, but it seems to "relieve" my trapped wind! ha! xx

poachedeggs Sat 09-Mar-13 12:56:35

Honestly, do the crawling around thing, it's awesome (less so for spectators) wink

Adreamz Sat 09-Mar-13 11:27:32

I was the same I'm now 9 weeks. I got told by my mw to see gp if it persisted. They sent me to epau. Had a scan and all was fine so they just put it down to bowels! I might try the peppermint tea see if that eases my pain xx

LadyIsabellaWrotham Sat 09-Mar-13 11:11:51

A quick google confirms that you can get Infacol for adults - it's called Windeze, and because it is physical rather than chemical in action it is safe during pg (after all, it's safe to give it to tiny babies directly).

Saundy Sat 09-Mar-13 11:02:49

Aah thanks, its starting again so may have to step it up a gear!

lexib Sat 09-Mar-13 10:59:17

Extract was just the baking kind... And balm be caused it's pretty damn strong grin so worth it for though

Saundy Sat 09-Mar-13 10:19:20

Thank you everyone. I couldn't find any cordial so opted for a long walk and some mint tea and although not a miracle cure as you say a definite 90% improvement on the night before.

I didn't get to the point where I needed to go for the crazy yoga stuff but its in my back pocket for next time!

I'm 5 weeks TeaandHobnobs so will keep an eye on it, I am finding some relief blush so am pretty sure its wind, but I will keep what you've said in mind.

lexib where do you get extract from? Just in case and why the lip balm - I don't understand?

Everyone Else thank you, you are all life sleep savers!

lexib Sat 09-Mar-13 06:54:19

Just tried peppermint extract here (5ml in cold water) for giant bloated belly and i cant recommend enough. I've spent the last few hours more comfortable than I've been in a week
Unless you're an expert at drinking without your lips touching the cup you might need some lip balm to hand though grin

Zorra Sat 09-Mar-13 06:32:37

Yep, yoga positions, mint tea, rubbing your tummy clockwise (used to do this for DS as a baby with trapped wind smile. If all else fails, acupuncture - I go once a week (am 29 weeks now) and it is the only thing which is sorting my trapped wind and indigestion. I always have to run out at the end of the session so I can trump away to my heart's content on the way home grin

kd83 Fri 08-Mar-13 22:48:37

Also suffering from a lot of trapped wind which can feel a bit like period cramps - am currently 8 weeks + 5. It might not work for you but I found the simplest solution was to rub my tummy in a clockwise direction to help shift it round (and out of) my system as quickly as possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now