Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

no movement last 24 hours - at what stage of pregnancy do you start to worry?

(15 Posts)
shelley72 Thu 07-Mar-13 09:26:35

this is DC3 so i really should remember this, esp as i was in and out of hospital for no movement with DC1. anyway placenta is anterior but i feel movement at least once a day. but nothing last 24 hours or so. only realised last night when i went to bed. but i was quite busy yesterday so maybe i just didnt pay attention. still nothing so far this morning.

so at what stage do i need to worry / call someone? is it 24 weeks after which you should feel regular movement? i am a bit stuck today anyway if i did need to be checked over so i may be worrying over nothing. i am 23+1 weeks btw.

thank you

dinkystinky Thu 07-Mar-13 09:27:51

Call your MW - if you've been feeling movement and its suddenly stopped, definitely worth checking in Shelley. Its probably a case of baby shuffling off behind the placenta for a work out but get MW advice.

Havingkittens Thu 07-Mar-13 09:34:28

I was only feeling intermittent movement at that stage, although only really started feeling it at 20/21 weeks anyway. Mine is hiding away towards my back so even when it was moving I don't think I felt it as much. I had a scan at 31 weeks when I hadn't felt much movement for a couple of days and it was moving, I just couldn't feel it.

If you are concerned though I think you can go in at any time of day or evening and they never consider it an inconvenience. They would rather you checked and all was fine.

Have you tried all the tricks like eating something sweet, cold drinks, lying flat on your back etc?

shelley72 Thu 07-Mar-13 09:43:10

thanks, yes have had a cold can of coke, had a prod, got DCs to shout talk at my belly. nothing doing. maybe its just enjoying some peace and quiet! i just dont want to be a nuisance if everything is fine. think i will give it a little longer then ring. thank you. am a bit stuck school run/childcare wise today and supposed to be waiting in for a delivery too... not a good day!

Havingkittens Thu 07-Mar-13 09:46:43

Don't worry about being a nuisance. The never see it that way. My midwife said don't ever worry about that, just go if you're worried.

ChairmanWow Thu 07-Mar-13 09:54:58

I agree with Kittens. My DS was very lazy and I ended up going in a few times, and had a scan at one point. I was told always to come in if there were reductions in movement and never to worry about wasting their time. The MW said she would rather see a worried mum with a healthy baby than have someone stay at home and miss a problem.

Re the stage of pregnancy I don't think there are any rules. If you're used to getting movement every day then you don't that's reason enough. Hope you're getting wriggles soon.

SisterMaryStigmata Thu 07-Mar-13 10:19:02

Get checked out asap. I know how difficult it is to just drop everything and go to clinic/ hospital when you have other DC to consider but you really have to get this checked every single time. Hope it all goes well smile

philbee Thu 07-Mar-13 11:02:30

I went in about that time, and also rang a few weeks later for same thing. Both times they were lovely. Please go in and get it checked.

agirland2boys Thu 07-Mar-13 11:15:01

sorry to sound alarming but - get looked at asap!!
fingers crossed!!!

shelley72 Thu 07-Mar-13 11:29:58

well still nothing so i just phoned the hospital unit and the midwife told me not to be concerned - they wouldnt ask me in as they can't do a trace until 26 wks anyway - and to get the CMW to listen in at my routine 24wk appt next week. hopefully its just wriggled off somewhere and will move soon...

I had the same last weekend (24+4). I phoned mw who asked me to phone assessment clinic at hosp. They said same as you, can't do trace till 26 weeks. Mw said to phone her back if assessment centre couldn't see me so I did and mw saw me at community clinic the next day. The mw that saw me was lovely had a feel and a listen. She said any change in number of kicks, or pattern in movements then phone. It only takes 2 mins for them to have a listen and urged me to call back whenever I am worried. I would be tempted to phone back and ask to be seen to put your mind at ease.

philbee Thu 07-Mar-13 11:50:29

I find their response a bit shock tbh. Alright, they can't trace, but they can listen for a heartbeat. I agree with Littlemiss, I think you need to do some insisting.

StuckOnARollercoaster Thu 07-Mar-13 11:58:33

hi shelley
I have an anterior placenta and couldn't feel anything at all till 23 weeks! I had a midwife appointment today and we had a talk about movements as it felt like I hadn't felt a movement for a couple of days (I'm now 26 weeks). She did say that movements can reduce - or if you are busy you can stop noticing them as they become 'routine'.
A couple of things she did say that to ease my mind - I should sometimes just really slow down and relax and lie still, then have a very cold drink or something to eat and see if it gets a reaction.
They recommend that from 26-28 weeks they start to use 10 distinct movements a day as a guideline - so to try and start getting in the habit of counting (I've ordered myself a wristband from Count the Kicks as I could never remember each day what I'm up to) but she did stress that was a guideline and that if I was concerned to call her.
Funny thing is the little one gave a huge kick when she then put on the doppler and since I've been sat at the computer doing MN there have been more wriggles than I remember in the last couple of days.
Good luck - maybe try some ice water, but definitely listen to your instincts and if you are still worried, see if you can go in for either a doppler listen or a scan...

I forgot to add I've also got an anterior placenta and the mw still recommended going to see them if concerned.
Apparently they don't really do the 10 kicks a day now. As everyone is different, its more about pattern and routine and concern when that changes

Fairy130389 Thu 07-Mar-13 12:28:30

I find it surprising that they have said no trace until 26 weeks? I went in last weekend at 24+6 and they did a trace...

I would phone back again if you still don't feel anything, but try not to worry, chances are everything is fine. good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now