Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can I eat Mr Whippy ice cream

(28 Posts)
Clarabell78 Wed 06-Mar-13 19:43:44

... Could murder a 99 from the ice cream can but was sure I read somewhere soft ice cream is off limits for pregnant ladies - anybody know?

Elledouble Fri 17-Apr-15 10:06:20

You could have a Flake ice cream from the supermarket? They're a bit like a 99 (although the ice cream isn't as soft obviously). I've had a few of those recently!

Christelle2207 Fri 17-Apr-15 10:02:06

Blimey this is a surprise, I've had a fewshock

scarednoob Fri 17-Apr-15 09:47:01

i'd have thought mcdonald's and dairy queen would have rigorous cleaning schedules, so i'm sure those are fine!

man, this is making me crave ice cream now... a big mountain of it topped with raspberry sauce and a flake. no horrid tasteless cones though. cones are evil.

Cornberry Fri 17-Apr-15 09:39:55

I've had A couple of McDonald's sundaes - didn't even know it was a risk?!

newbian Fri 17-Apr-15 08:40:04

I ate quite a bit of soft serve ice cream on Easter vacation and only heard since coming back that it's a risk. It's not on the list of foods I was told to avoid. It didn't make me sick either. But it was from a chain (Dairy Queen) and not a random truck.

scarednoob Fri 17-Apr-15 08:34:09

I was desperate for a snog frozen yoghurt and so checked this out. It's not the product or the machinery, it's the risk that the people operating it aren't being rigorous with the cleaning. If not, all sorts of nasties can lurk in the pipework. So it depends on how well you know them/trust them to keep it clean.

I do trust snog but I still sighed and went for a bottle of water instead!!

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Thu 16-Apr-15 22:25:00

I craved McDonald's chocolate milkshakes all through my pregnancy, my extremely down to earth and sensible midwife said it was fine but that I should avoid ice cream vans because of the risk of listeria.

DP worked for McDonald's years ago and my cousin worked for them whilst at school and both said the machines are stripped and cleaned at least once a day and the temperature checked regularly throughout the day so the risk of food poisoning is tiny.

Hollie2128 Thu 16-Apr-15 22:15:23

Why do people think ice cream machines are unhygienic???

Crmmum Thu 07-Mar-13 17:59:55

I ate / eat them during pregnancy... Never did me any harm! McDonald's ones are totally fine, strict hygiene rules, would maybe give the van a miss just in case?

ButteryJam Thu 07-Mar-13 14:05:38

FoofFighter, thanks! smile Now I can have them without feeling any guilt ... grin

FoofFighter Thu 07-Mar-13 13:58:49

McDonalds machines are stripped and flushed through/cleaned every night so I'd say it's pretty ok.

LadySnapcase Thu 07-Mar-13 10:58:51

I've also been craving this, have chanced a couple of McFlurries and they were like nectar..! My instinct says McDonalds will be cleaner than the dodgy van man but having said that, who really knows... confused

doughnut44 Wed 06-Mar-13 22:01:31

I developed food poisoning during pregnancy after eating a whipped ice cream. It was called something like camphylobacter? I read up on it and I think it could have been the cone rather than the ice cream - something to do with rats urine? It's 13 years ago now so memory is slightly flawed. I am sure someone will put me right

sundaesundae Wed 06-Mar-13 21:55:35

LOL Bunbaker, personal choice, I love Mr Whippy! Haven't had one because it has been winter, but have had McD's shakes and flurries, noms.

Bunbaker Wed 06-Mar-13 21:52:10

What's wrong with proper ice cream? Mr Whippy isn't exactly nice.

ButteryJam Wed 06-Mar-13 21:08:07

I've had McDonalds ice cream as every other whippey was off limit.

pinkpudding Wed 06-Mar-13 20:26:03

i work in a unit for immunocompromised patients. mr whippy is absolutely off limits due to dubious hygiene and open nozzle and refrigeration running off car battery. I was told if van on a slope it can make temperature of storage variable. Therefore possibility allowing listeria to grow.
Reputable cafe's and restaurants check their refrigeration units temperature daily and it differs little as they run off mains current. Buy from them.

MrsSpencerReid Wed 06-Mar-13 20:22:21

I ate LOADS whilst preg with ds shockblush thanks for NHL link, I was getting worried!

Carolra Wed 06-Mar-13 20:18:52

It's fine. See NHS recommendations... Soft ice cream is at the bottom of the link. Says you can avoid it if you want to but it shouldn't be a problem. Generally how I understand it, is that as long as the mix isn't sat in the machine for ages there is no risk... So buy one from somewhere like McDs where the machine is used and cleaned regularly.

Bunbaker Wed 06-Mar-13 20:15:46

I think it is because Mr Yuck Whippy style ice cream dispensers aren't always kept as clean as they should be.

PandaWatch Wed 06-Mar-13 20:14:14

The main issue with mr whippy from a van is the dubious hygiene. Places like mcdonalds have a far stricter and much more easily enforced hygiene policy. And yes - it's pasteurised. So you run about as much a risk with a mcdonalds milkshake or mcflurry as you do with anything you eat in a restaurant.

Really want a strawberry milkshake now!!

PseudoBadger Wed 06-Mar-13 20:09:30

It's not advised against officially in the UK afaik. And it doesn't contain unpasteurised milk!

Clarabell78 Wed 06-Mar-13 20:08:46

Booo :-( oh well might settle for a magnum

bouncingorange Wed 06-Mar-13 20:06:25

I was told not to. Same with McFlurries although I did have a couple right towards the end of my pregnancy.

eltsihT Wed 06-Mar-13 20:03:11

I think it's a listeria risk as the milk is not stored in the machines at a low enough temperature. I craved McDonald type milk shakes last pregnancy and couldn't have them for the same reason.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now