Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

32 weeks and having a wobble about everything

(12 Posts)
Jsa1980 Thu 07-Mar-13 15:50:20

Same here bricking it at 36 weeks. Now all the shopping is done and everything is sorted I've got more time to think of the inevitable

berri Thu 07-Mar-13 15:38:00

Thanks for your replies smile
Good to know its not too unusual. Maybe I will mention something to the doc next time I'm there.

MissLurkalot Thu 07-Mar-13 13:26:25

Completely normal. Being pregnant is like being on a big roller coaster.
I visited a friend at home the other day and held the baby , and loved it.. But, I've always loved newborns. (I'm pregnant with no 4)
BUT, I watch One Born Every Minute last night, and it really made the whole labour thing... Real! And had a meltdown.. Omg, what have I done? Arghhhhh!
But, it was very shortlived.
If I visited a friend in hospital, I too, would've had a major wobble about the birth. I'm bloody dreading it.. And I am remembering the last birth and how painful it was.. But it was calmer, I was more in control. Yes, the pain was the same. But I managed to stay on control for about 95% of the time.
Don't let this fear take over and take control of you Berri. We all have the same fear. Bloody hormones!
You wait until you've got you're little baby in your arms, and even better, when your son meets his brother/sister for the first time! And you have both your children in your arms. xxxx

Kasey12 Thu 07-Mar-13 10:12:30

Berri, if you do feel like that through out, then Talk to someone. I spoke to my doctor who said it's ok not to feel excited about something you've never experienced before. She said she felt the same with her first.

I got referred to the perinatal team due to the amount of fear and anxiety I have. Although every person is different, support is important no matter the situation. Friends, family in some cases can be a huge help if they are understanding ( I have a friend who is what I would describe as an earth mother - full of happy hormones, it all came naturally and she couldn't understand why I wasn't over the moon) avoid those mums if possible!

Luckily there are many parents and folk on here who will completely understand and not judge or anything. I'm realising it's more normal than you think. You don't have to snap out of anything either. Just be kind to yourself. Pregnancy and parenthood are huge things. It's ok to have wobbles. Xx

curiousgeorgie Thu 07-Mar-13 08:45:10

Other people's babies aren't as great as your own! grin

One of my closest friends had a boy three weeks before I had DD and when I went to see them and he was all squashed and crying with forceps marks on his face and she looked knackered I felt absolute panic.

But fast forward 3 weeks and I was totally blissed out holding my beautiful DD looking all serene (squashed newborn, knackered mum to anyone looking wink)

10storeylovesong Thu 07-Mar-13 07:07:28

I'm very much the same with other people's babies. Had no desire to hold them or fuss over them and only went through the motions out of politeness. I can't get enough of my own!

berri Thu 07-Mar-13 00:23:42

Thanks all, feeling a bit better now but have to admit it all took me by surprise. Blame it on the hormones? I hope I don't feel like this for the rest of the pregnancy, hopefully I'll snap out of it soon.

Kasey12 Wed 06-Mar-13 20:14:09

I was like that when work colleagues would bring in newborns. I admire from a distance, but wouldn't want to hold them. Just feel
awkward! I will be well aware of this when I bring my boy in to work when he arrives. Not everyone are baby people. Not even pregnant women! ( others rather than mine I hope )

eltsihT Wed 06-Mar-13 20:07:26

I really dislike newborns. Don't get me wrong I love mine but other people's babies don't make me gush, don't want to hold them, just not interested. Don't worry about it it's very normal.

Susan 30 weeks

WildeRumpus Wed 06-Mar-13 19:35:12

I feel like that this week berri (am 30 weeks). Really freaked out. I think tho it is sensible to worry... and expect the excitement will take over soon... (?!) FWIW altho my friends are exhausted with their second baby they also say it is far more enjoyable.

BUT... Eek!

Kasey12 Wed 06-Mar-13 19:28:51

I'm 38 weeks or maybe 39, I'm not even 100% sure anymore! I feel the same as you. I went for a meet up with some of the NCT group, and was just exhausted with all the baby talk. I really wanted to change the subject.

One girl was all excited and couldn't wait to meet her baby. I was inwardly thinking, I feel nothing like that. I'm tired, terrified and a bit bored of baby talk! if I could have a c section, I'd jump at the chance. Oh to be rich and just book myself into the Portland smile

I know just how you feel! Hugs xx

berri Wed 06-Mar-13 19:17:12

I went to visit a friend's brand new newborn today, and instead of all the feelings I thought I'd have (excitement about my own baby coming soon, wanting to snuggle him etc) I just honestly felt absolute panic about the birth and about whether I'm ready for another baby.

It's not as if I'm having them close together, my DS is 4!

I think the hospital just brought back all the panicky feelings and I left feeling scared out of my mind rather than excitement.

I've been doing a hypnobirthing course to try to prepare for a better labour than I had with DS but I feel today like I want to just book in for an elective c-sect so I don't have to think about anything (I'm allowed). I honestly feel like crying.

This isn't normal, is it sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now