Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Birthing centres

(6 Posts)
MrsCobes44 Thu 07-Mar-13 11:38:07

I had DS1 at a birthing centre- he was delivered naturally with no complications. But I then had a retained placenta and had to be transferred by ambulance and it was all a bit of a panic so quite traumatic in the end. However I was very pleased with the midwife's at the birthing centre and would recommend but please bear in mind that you may need to be transferred if there are complications.

Check the onward referral rates. Our local one is fab but nearly 40% of mums are sent on to hospital as it is 45 mins away hence the slightest delay in labour and you are ambulanced out just in case. The midwife led units attached to hospitals can be more relaxed.

Many hospitals have water birth rooms, balls, etc and midwives these days have a more open attitude to position during labour. I was in hospital and was offered a water birth (but went in too late for it to be filled in time), and was encouraged to walk about, kneel etc rather than lie on the bed.

helebear Wed 06-Mar-13 21:12:55

My dd was born in the midwife led birth centre at our local hospital. The midwives were great and we had a water birth and were able to stay the night in the same room dd was born in, which was really nice. I needed stitches as I had some grazing & the midwife did that. I liked that it didn't feel too medicalised and I had the active birth I wanted but that the labour ward was just upstairs if there were any complications or I needed stronger pain relief.

I'm 36 weeks with dc2 and planning to use the birth centre again.

weeblueberry Wed 06-Mar-13 20:05:47

I'm hoping to use the one in Edinburgh. We looked at photos in NCT class the other day and it was so nice and chilled looking. With it being just along the corridor from the main hospital it's a bit of a no brainer for me. smile

mrsR1991 Wed 06-Mar-13 16:54:24

i havn't had the experience yet but i have a birthing centre above the community hospital in my town and (fingers crossed) will be delivering my second baby there. first baby was all set to deliver there but had to be induced so ended up at the RUH in bath grr! definitely hoping all falls into place this time and my little one will decide to come out on time and in the birthing pool smile

sweetiepie1979 Wed 06-Mar-13 16:44:06

Has anyone ever used one? There is a new one in Edinburgh. Might opt for that this time. Had homebirth first time which was lovely except had to go in for stitches as quite bad tear. Interested to know anyone's experience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now