Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Advice from mums of three?

(11 Posts)
dilys4trevor Wed 06-Mar-13 13:41:26

Actually, I'm not sure whether it is advice I am after or reassurance, but we have two DSs (4 and 2) and we are going to try for a third soon.

I've always wanted three kids and even though it might not happen fast or at all (I am 38, as of yesterday), it is the not trying I would regret I think. A third boy would be great, it's really not about 'getting the girl.'

I wanted to hear from any mums who have done a third and how different it is with three. Is it as hard as the transition from one to two?

Also, it would be a third c section for me and I wondered if anyone else had done that.

Beatrixpotty Wed 06-Mar-13 15:50:26

I'm 39 and just about to have my 3rd c-section for DS3..so can't tell you what it is like,yet,only that I've been through that thought process and decided to go for a 3rd (my boys are nearly 2,and 3.5,so neither at school yet).Got pregnant v quickly,slightly apprehensive about managing after a 3rd section with the older 2 to entertain and dreading Easter holidays starting 3 weeks later with no pre-school for DS1..but overall looking forward to it.Hopefully someone else can tell you what it is like when they are all a bit older...from the posts on the larger families board no-one seems to regret it!

greenj1 Wed 06-Mar-13 15:56:20

Hi, I have 3 ds all born by c section and the third one fitted in no problem. Im pregnant with my 4th so that shows that 3 or more children are not a problem. In fact I found it easier the more children I have! You become a lot more confident which the baby usually realises which I think makes for a much more chilled out experience! Also I think the 3rd and in my case 4th section are no harder than the first, Obviously no heavy lifting etc but I think you know your limits by now so a lot less nerve wracking smile

My 3rd is 4 1/2 weeks old, and I'm finding him the easiest of the three, by far. I've already done newborn/newborn and toddler, so I knew what to expect.

My older two are 4 next month and just turned 2, and have taken to DS2 much better than I thought they would. We've had a little bit of jealousy, but nothing too bad. They've started to play together nicely too, as I'm not able to entertain them myself all the time.

Even though it's still early days, I've got no regrets. I think I would always have felt like someone was missing if I'd not had him. He's definitely the last though, I 'm looking forward to sleeping again one of these days!

MoonHare Wed 06-Mar-13 17:11:06

Hi dilys my 3rd baby is 4 months old. I have a 4yr old DD who is in reception year at school and my middle DD just turned 2.

It's great. We're coping without any problems and manage on our own as we have no family within 150 miles.

Go for it and don't worry, I don't think it's the transition from 2 to 3 that poses the issues I reckon it's about 5 years down the line when they all want to be somewhere else after school that the logistical nightmares will start!!

Like others have said I'm finding DD3 the easiest so far.

By the way I was 38 when DD3 was conceived - and 39 when she was born after a completely healthy pregnancy.

Best wishes

bigbadbarry Wed 06-Mar-13 17:14:12

My third is louder and bolshier than the others (she kind of has to be!) but I didn't find the transition of 2-3 difficult. You have already done toddler + baby, so that's not new. I suppose having to get up and out to school with a newborn was interesting, but we managed. We did have to buy a new car.

Pinkbump3 Wed 06-Mar-13 20:28:02

I have 3dds pg with no 4 and found it quite easy although at the time my dds where 8 and 10 and where able to help a lot with her. I'm worried about having 4 now! But prob felt just as worried when pg with no 2 lol you will be fine it just works!
Same as big bad Barry though dd3 is bolshier than dds and by far the loudest child we have had hehe but omg she makes me smile every day! She will be 4 in April.

PaulaPixie Wed 06-Mar-13 20:48:35

I had two boys and at the age of 38 hubby and I tried for another and now I have 3 lovely sons, it's brilliant, so much so that I'm 10 weeks pregnant at 41 with No4 and if it's a boy, I don't mind either way. My thoughts were if I didn't I would regret it as I had given it so much thought and knew that when the day came that I would be too old and wouldn't have the choice, I would have regretted it massively xxx

dilys4trevor Wed 06-Mar-13 21:37:11

Thank you everyone. What lovely stories and funny how our ages are quite similar! I do feel like there is something missing, but I don't want to get too much into the mindset of a third in case it doesn't come off, but I'm really excited to think we will try.
And thanks for the reassurance on a third section - clearly 4 sections are perfectly possible! I asked my doc today and she said that it was fine although I shouldn't attempt a natural birth (righty ho - never been a fan actually).
Thanks all - sounds like you are all blissfully happy with your third and fourths!
x

pootlebug Wed 06-Mar-13 21:40:28

On the whole I think the transition from 1 to 2 was harder than 0 to 1 and 2 to 3. I would find it easier if my third would sleep! But I don't think it is significantly harder than having two, of whom one is a non-sleeper iyswim....it's not the 3 it's the sleep deprivation that is the killer.

LynetteScavo Wed 06-Mar-13 21:43:33

I had a four year gap between my first two, and a two year gap between DC 2 & 3....so having three did seem like a lot of work in the first year, but after that was OK.

Mostly, three is great. smile The only things stopping me going for four is; I'm rubbish at being pregnant, and we can't afford it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now