Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Could someone please recommend me a baby monitor?

(13 Posts)
Yannah2006 Wed 06-Mar-13 12:59:54

I'm very stuck. I've been looking at these two:
Angelcare AC401- www.amazon.co.uk/Angelcare-AC401-Movement-Sensor-Monitor/dp/B0013FW5G8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1362573905&sr=8-4
BT monitor and pacifier- www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Digital-Monitor-Pacifier-Purple/dp/B00517Q9C0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1362573905&sr=8-6

This is the absolute max we'd be willing to spend on a monitor. I like the Angelcare one because it's got the movement sensor, but i'm worried it won't work well under a 10cm cot mattress. The BT one has lots of great features, but lots of the reviews say that the parent unit isn't good at holding it's charge.

Anyone have experience with either one? Or can you recommend me another good one? The important features for us are that it has good sound quality and is reliable. And under £80!

racheld33 Wed 06-Mar-13 13:19:42

We have the angel care one. We used the movement sensor under his Moses basket and then moved to his chunky cot bed mattress with no problems at all. We stopped using the motion sensor when he was about 9 months and he crawled a lot in his cot (because it only worked if he was lay directly over it).
He is currently 2.8 and having his nap now, and monitor next to me now still working perfectly (even though I have dropped it in water twice!)
Would happily recommend smile

We've just bought the tomy TD350.
I liked the digital thermometer in it and it was recommended to me.
We were in mothercare last week and they had 20% off all monitors, worth looking to see if still on.

WhirlingOut Wed 06-Mar-13 14:49:46

We got given the angelcare monitor but then ended up buying a Philips one as the angelcare one is a bit limited in things like two way talking (good for calming a screaming baby before you get into the room) and the philips one plays lullabies that you can control through the parent handset. Still have the angelcare one brand new in its box!

OneLittleToddleTerror Wed 06-Mar-13 14:56:05

I have a no frills BT one, something like this
www.amazon.co.uk/BT-200-Digital-Baby-Monitor/dp/B004L2KL0W

Mine is a much older model as DD is nearly 2 now. It's still going strong. You don't need any of that motion sensor. If you look into research into SID, it's about the baby in the same room as you. It's either because your breath regulates theirs, or that the noises you make prevent them falling into deep sleep. So basically it's too late by the time you notice on the monitor the baby isn't moving, IWSWIM.

OneLittleToddleTerror Wed 06-Mar-13 14:56:49

I use it now to know if DD is crying her lungs out when I have the TV on
downstairs btw. It's much more useful now then when she's a newborn.

Beatrixpotty Wed 06-Mar-13 15:43:48

Got 2 BT ones,v happy with both

Gatorade Wed 06-Mar-13 15:50:33

We have had three different monitors over the last 13 months:

1. When DD was very little I was too parinoid to sleep so we used the angel care movement monitor

2. Once she moved into her own room/started sleeping in a different room to us we moved to a motorola video monitor (which had to be replaced 3 times as it kept malfuntioning)

3. We now have and still use a Summer Infant digital video monitor which has been briliant

In summary I think the angel care ones are brilliant when they are very little and in a moses basket but we had many false alarms around 5 months when DD started crawling around her cot.

The video monitor has however been invaluable, I love being able to briefly 'look in' via the monitor, just last night I heard DD cough ever so slightly (not enough to prompt a visit to her room under normal circumstances) and on looking at the baby monitor it was clear that she had vomited yet wasn't crying - I wouldn'tr have noticed til the morning and the poor thing would have slept in it.

Poppins27 Wed 06-Mar-13 15:58:50

I've had he Tommee Tippee one since dd was born a year ago and it's been great. Has a sensor pad which I have used in both her Moses basket and cot, displays the room temperature which I relied in a lot when she was newborn (first timer paranoia!!), and has 2 way control. The battery life is brilliant. I stopped using the sensor pad when Dd was about 8 months as we did have some false alarms when she could roll about her cot freely, but no complaints from me. Good luck smile

GreatSoprendo Wed 06-Mar-13 16:03:26

Haven't used it yet as LO is not due for 4 weeks , but I've bought the Angelcare one after reading tons of reviews of all kinds of monitors. It's been easy to set up so far, and according to everything I have read can be used under anything from a thin Moses basket mattress through to a thick cot mattress.

Quilty Wed 06-Mar-13 18:17:31

We got the BT digital pacifier one, not used it with baby yet but we tested it out for the sound quality and it seemed crystal clear. Also the the starlights are really cute too!

Beepbeep1 Wed 06-Mar-13 19:10:22

Angel Care - no doubt about it.

octanegirl Wed 06-Mar-13 21:40:06

Another vote for Angel Care. The peace of mind is priceless.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now