Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Changing Bags

(93 Posts)
Cheffie100 Tue 05-Mar-13 09:14:55

I'm looking for something really nice and a bit cool -would pay up to £80. Any recommendations welcome? X

Wibblytummy Thu 07-Mar-13 21:01:36

I had a Pink Lining Yummy Mummy bag from birth until my DS was about 18m old. It looked filthy after 2 months and no amount of washing got the light canvas material clean.

My friend gave me her like new SkipHop bag. I wish I had had this bag from the start, it is so much easier to stay organised with. A pocket for everything and it doesn't all get lost in the big main compartment like it used to with the Pink Lining. The design on this is much more flattering to wear and tear and getting a bit grubby being dumped on the ground at parks and playgroups!

MinnesotaNice Thu 07-Mar-13 21:10:32

I had a Skip Hop but after awhile I found it to be too big and heavy so I downsized to a Vera Bradley messenger style diaper bag. However, these days I tend to just throw an extra diaper and some wipes under the stroller.

elk4baby Thu 07-Mar-13 21:46:19

Ju-Ju-Be are the best!
I'd had one that came with a pushchair, pacapod and oioi - I feel Ju-Ju-Be's THE best.
They have a number of different models for you to choose from, but all are really high quality and fantastically organized! Brilliant!

Damash12 Thu 07-Mar-13 21:50:36

My best advice is get a large one and get it from eBay!! I originally wanted a Yummy Mummy bag but they are way too small. I saw a Ll Tuttu Nico bag in Mamas & Papas £150 and got one from eBay for £68 and I live it!! Loads of pockets and room for everything plus it looks fab but I also keep looking at the Storksak bags £200 in JLewis but go for around £80 on eBay.

craftycottontail Thu 07-Mar-13 22:30:35

Oooh no that sucks about Pacapod zips breaking - my step mum has just bought me one. Still has the labels on so maybe I should see if John Lewis will exchange it now...

haveapear Thu 07-Mar-13 22:44:16

My mum makes beautiful oilcloth change bags to order. I think they are £75 including wet wipe cover and change mat.

I can't link but google exclusively by Christine and you should find her web page and Facebook page.

I only wish she'd made them when mine were babies! Hth smile

PoppyWearer Thu 07-Mar-13 22:47:06

I bought a custom-made oilcloth one from eBay, Cath Kidston-style but it cost me £15, is going very strong a year on and is just the right size, not too big. It will remain a useful bag once it's days as a nappy bag are done.

DH got a leather messenger Storksak when DC1 was born (nearly 5 years ago) and uses it quite happily as a manbag even for work.

scarlettsmummy2 Thu 07-Mar-13 23:24:17

I have a kath kidston one, its very practical. I got it as a present after baby one and still going strong four years later. I personally don't like the yummy mummy ones- I think they are pretty but a bit naff and gimmicky, although I am sure the kath kidston bags are too!

byhec Thu 07-Mar-13 23:53:15

I just use a rucksack, a large fatface handbag or keep a changing mat/nappies under the pram, never really understood why you need a changing bag.

Camwombat Fri 08-Mar-13 07:55:40

Ours is the skiphop pronto and fits in most other bags. DS loves carrying it himself mostly.

ivytree Fri 08-Mar-13 09:09:43

Don't get on that is too girly. Otherwise it can be a bit mean on the other half when they use it.

notso Fri 08-Mar-13 09:37:50

I am always hmm at Dads who wouldn't carry a bag because it's too girly. Surely when they have a baby with them it's pretty obvious what the bag is for, it's not as if they have to wear a matching dress.
Also don't understand why people get so anti-changing bag it's like saying you don't see the point of a handbag or a suitcase.

LexiLoganberryBump Fri 08-Mar-13 10:45:41

Boots have a lovely Koto leatherette change bag, it's the kind you could use for a overnight bag after you no longer need it for baby, it has pockets but not to many if you prefer more of a open space bag.

I brought the Tomy JJ Cole Mode because it's large and has alot of pockets but they're positioned in such away that you could use the large internal space or seperate everything, I needed to choose a large bag as will be using reusable nappies and need to have seperate space for clean and used nappies. It also has buggy straps so you don't have to hook it over the handles.

I use a large clutch from topshop and have done since DS was over the regular poo-splosions at about 10 weeks. Even before that I was using it for trips out for just a couple of hours.

I'd advise waiting until you've settled in, use an existing bag, work out whether you're breast or bottle feeding, what nappies you want to use etc. and then buy a bag to the size of the stuff you end up carrying around. But then I'm very much of the carry-the-child/avoid-a-pushchair-if-I-can type brigade and I have never wanted a big changing bag.

I have used a fat face over the shoulder bag too for previous DSs.

Lucky you having a new baby smile

grin notso I quite like DH carrying my gold studded clutch bag to do DS's nappy. It was obvious it wasn't his handbag and it's always nice to see a strapping rugby player carrying a baby and handbag.

notso Fri 08-Mar-13 12:24:42

grin it takes a real man to carry a clutch bag Tea!

ButteryJam Fri 08-Mar-13 13:34:11

This looks lush! smile

scottishmummy Fri 08-Mar-13 20:54:12

HaveaPear your mums bags are gorgeous,what a talented lady
Bags by exclusively by Christine

haveapear Sat 09-Mar-13 18:20:12

Thankyou Scottishmummy I'll tell her smile

MustafaCake Sat 09-Mar-13 19:11:56

Wow, I love your Mum's bags haveapear.

I would happily buy any of them but would absolutely love the camper van one for a changing bag! Gutted I recently bought a bag and can't justify another one sad

haveapear Sat 09-Mar-13 20:24:38

Did you see the Facebook page someone recently ordered a campervan change bag and there are photos of it there ?

I love the campervan fabric too, but I have so many bags I can't justify it either and although she's my mum I still have to pay! grin

Bodicea Sat 09-Mar-13 20:27:42

just to throw a spannner in the works:

what are people's opinions on whether to get a beautiful girly bag or a unisex bag that your partner won't be embarrassed carrying?

Bodicea Sat 09-Mar-13 20:29:36

just realised this topic is already up for discussion doh!'

olivertheoctopus Sat 09-Mar-13 20:36:44

I bloody hate those Boots bags, so ugly. I have a 4.5yr old Skip Hop Dash which has worn really well and I either use that or a Boden oilcloth satchel. The SkipHop is better if you're going to get the changing mat out a lot (ie with a newborn) as it has a separate sleeve for it so no need to try and shove it past everything else to get back in. The mat that came with it wasn't wipe clean though (durrrrr...) so I wasn't that bothered when MIL lost it and I got a custom made wipe clean one folding one off eBay.

SilverSixpence Sun 10-Mar-13 02:17:29

I got a nice bag from Zara to use as a changing bag but it doesn't have compartments or external pockets do drives me mad! The new Storksak bags look lovely am thinking about this or this

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now