Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Changing Bags

(93 Posts)
Cheffie100 Tue 05-Mar-13 09:14:55

I'm looking for something really nice and a bit cool -would pay up to £80. Any recommendations welcome? X

Paradisefound Wed 06-Mar-13 11:39:18

I bought a pacapod a Portland one as its bigger... The problem with the smaller ones is they are too small and get crammed full, then the zip goes. Haven't started using mine yet..so we shall see. The Portland is good as hubby can carry it..works well as man bag! He won't carry anything floral or pink and fluffy...let's face it I'm gonna want him to be involved and having the wrong bag..can be a great excuse for him not to help. Go for something plain and simple in my opinion.

Szeli Wed 06-Mar-13 11:45:58

I bought a mid sized oilcloth polka dot handbag and then a liner/organiser off ebay to pop in it; if baby b doesn't ruin it I can use it quite happily for a long time as it's essentially a slighter larger version of a handbag I would use and only cost £11... I then had to pack it myself tho with changing mat/bottle insulator etc but it still all came in under £20 thanks to the wonders of ebay and shops in hong kong.

xx

Locketjuice Wed 06-Mar-13 11:56:20

Don't get the baby k one whatever you do!

It's rubbish! I know 5 people and myself who have it and all of them the front popper has come off so can close it, its tiny inside when you actually have filled it with all you need and when it rains everything inside gets wet as it doesn't have anything to cover the top fully hmm

SoYo Wed 06-Mar-13 12:04:14

I got an OiOi hobo (English Rose red pattern to brighten up navy buggy but there's lots of patterns). It's fairly big but clips nicely onto pram & has a big central section & useful pockets. Cost me around £60 I think but may have been in sale. Got it from kiddicare.

SoYo Wed 06-Mar-13 12:05:25

Also lushbaby.co.uk have good selection of skip hop ones.

I agree with others - why bother with a changing bag? I just use larger handbags and have a foldable changing mat with pockets for nappies, wipes and nappy bags. It goes everywhere with us and I use it at home to change nappies downstairs.

I searched for ages for the right changing bag before DS was born and it's hardly been used, just in the very early days when every nappy seems to leak and you need a change of clothes and 6 nappies for a day out!

It might depend on whether you'll need bottles with you. I breastfed so needed to carry less than if I'd been FF.

farmersdaughter Wed 06-Mar-13 12:45:28

We have a skip-hop one and its been brilliant. It also depends on what sort of pushchair you have and you'll need to hang it.

Big consideration for us was that DH would have to carry it about and he didn't want something too girly grin

glorious Wed 06-Mar-13 13:01:18

Sophia and Matt do lovely ones. small business in Greenwich but you can buy online. I use that with the pushchair and a rucksack with the sling.

AmberSocks Thu 07-Mar-13 10:57:10

i have a cath kidston one,blue with red spots,pretty good,no complaints.

i also had a pink lining one,that was nicer,but my cat weed in it.

atrcts Thu 07-Mar-13 12:14:55

I like the iCandy peach jogger changing bag, lots o useful compartments and a big internal space. Good plain black colour for Hubby to not feel too feminised too!

enormouse Thu 07-Mar-13 12:19:08

I have a cath kidston one too. It's the cowboy print and I got it second hand off ebay. I love it to death and got a few more things in the cowboy print.

scarletforya Thu 07-Mar-13 12:19:30

I got a changing bag but it is never used as dd has decided to never poop outside the house. So I just have a nappy, sudocreme and wipes in my normal handbag.

beanandspud Thu 07-Mar-13 13:09:26

I had a black SkipHop ones that was pretty indestructible!

Having a black one meant that DH was far more likely to go out with it and do nappy changes - he wouldn't have been seen dead carrying a Kath Kidston/Yummy Mummy type bag.

JuJuBe used to do some nice ones, not sure if they're still around?

Don't get one that's too big/bulky or it will just annoy you! Loads of people I know (me included for a long time) used the Boots free one despite having others, because it's nice and flat so it doesn't get in the way when hung on the back of a pushchair or fits in the basket easily. Also some are so full of extra whatnots that they weigh a ton even before you put all the baby clobber in, which is also annoying.

Once we got past the poo-nami stage, I also often used a free fold-up mini change kit I got in a Huggies pack, it was just big enough for a couple of nappies, bags and a small (or half-full) pack of wipes and it folded out to form a mat. That was great to chuck in the pushchair basket, or in another bag if I had lots of other stuff to carry somewhere.

LindaMcCartneySausage Thu 07-Mar-13 14:24:44

I love, love, love my StorkSak changing bag. Can't recommend it enough. Used it daily for about 2 years and doubles as my (smart) handbag. They are designed to take a lap top, so multifunctional. I've had loads of compliments about it. The StorkSak website is excellent, but JohnLewis also stock them.

I've just treated myself to a new one for DC2, due any day now. They range from about £70 to about £250 for the leather ones that look like Mulberry Alexa bags

ladymontdore Thu 07-Mar-13 14:38:27

I just used a big leather handbag. If you are bf you won't be carrying bottles and stuff. If you put nappies in nappy bags they won't leak either! Vomit washes off leather as well as anything else! For longer days out I also took shopping bag style bags, I had a nice spotty kath kidstone one which had a zip. Personally I don't get on with lots of little pockets - one big space much more useful!

Want2bSupermum Thu 07-Mar-13 15:11:02

We have the skip hop bag which is good for pockets BUT it isn't washable. I end up replacing it every 3 months or so (I buy them on sale for $30 a pop). I am still looking for something machine washable. I found one bag by Ju Ju Be - Be All which is machine washable but I wasn't too keen on the design. I would like more pockets to keep poo and food separate. Will have to check out the kipling bags. I forgot they are machine washable.

For changing pads I love the kushies changing pads. They are flannel on top with a waterproof layer underneath and are machine washable. They double up as a piddle/puke pad, blanket and wind deflector.

Flickstar Thu 07-Mar-13 19:31:22

I love my Paca Pod- I have the OBan in patent red and will miss it when I don't use it any more! here

Bouncey Thu 07-Mar-13 19:36:13

Another vote for storksak. Loving my Elizabeth bag which I've used non stop for a year. Now that I'm back at work I sometimes use it for laptops and files. It still looks perfect.

Andcake Thu 07-Mar-13 20:02:06

Used the free boots one for ages too but now use the wallaboo in brown www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000WHOBME/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9557946549&ref=asc_df_B000WHOBME quite happy with it haven't washed it yet though and DP doesn't mind holding it. Just for bums seem to always come with free travel changing mats so I use one of those as they are smaller so gives me more space. The free 'just for bums' mats re so handy for around the house too on route to bathroom, when the other mat has just been weed on, or poo etc etc

beancounting Thu 07-Mar-13 20:24:21

I loved my pacapod but found the quality pretty poor - the pad thing on the shoulder strap frayed and then disintegrated after about 6 months (not an element that got much wear and tear), and I had to practically beg them to send a replacement (because I didn't have a receipt - it was a present from work). I ended up binning it after about 18 months by which time the strap had gone, as had two of the three zips and the Velcro loops on both the internal bags, and the lining on the inside of the food bag was shredded. I do miss it as it was a perfect size and I loved the separate sections, but I just use a rucksack now and it's much more practical with a toddler.

scottishmummy Thu 07-Mar-13 20:29:02
Slainte Thu 07-Mar-13 20:48:49

Storksaks are great. Mine is still going strong 2.5 years later.

It also looks great and I'm always being complimented on it. Link here

Elkieb Thu 07-Mar-13 20:53:49

I love my bababing bag- I got it second hand and it's like new. Holds everything and is light and smart. Also washable which is very important.

MustafaCake Thu 07-Mar-13 21:00:59

Do you have a TK Max near you?

Our 2 have fabulous changing bags (many of the brands named on this thread) but half price or less.

I got a gorgeous JJ Cole one reduced from £70 to £30

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now