Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Symptoms of pregnancy

(17 Posts)
MrsBigBadBeck Mon 04-Mar-13 16:23:53

Hi all!

I'm new to mumsnet so don't understand the abbreviations yet so please bare with me!

Anyway, hubby and I are trying for our first baby. Just curious as to the symptoms you get when you fall pregnant. You hear of borrow stories where women don't even know they're pregnant so thought I'd see if many ladies have experienced this; if not how obvious was it to you when you were pregnant in the early stages.

Thankssmile xx

Bejeena Mon 04-Mar-13 16:38:31

I wouldn't have really noticed anything to be honest, I found out at 6 weeks and was only because my period was 2 weeks late. Before then I couldn't have determined any symptoms. However sickness was in full swing come 7 weeks so I might have guessed then!

ExhaustedMamasita Mon 04-Mar-13 16:47:55

Hi! For me it was very sore breasts and wanting to pee all the time. Some women experience vomiting or nausea very early on in pregnancy too. The best way of finding out though is by doing a PG test as some women don’t experience any symptoms whatsoever early on in their pregnancies so it’s dependent on the individual, there isn’t a text book answer I’m afraid. You could be one of the lucky few!

Good luck and fingers crossed you get some good news soon. x

knittingirl Mon 04-Mar-13 16:51:56

Before I did a pg test I didn't get any symptoms. At least, I had some of the things that are listed as "early pregnancy symptoms", but nothing that I didn't also get on months when I wasn't pg!

Incidentally, the month I got pg was the one month I was totally convinced I wasn't, because I had such bad period pains in the few days leading up to when af was due. Only af never showed and a week or so later the cramps went away. Looking back they must have been due to implantation, or to the uterus stretching or something.

The best advice I can give you is don't overanalyse every symptom (you will go crazy!) and wait until af is due or late to take a pg test. I honestly think that it is less stressful to find out you are not pg because af has arrived than to keep getting negative tests in the run up to when af is due but keep hoping that maybe it was a false negative...

Just my two cents!

Mandytm Mon 04-Mar-13 16:58:21

I didn't have any symptoms (other than missing period) until 8 weeks, when the tiredness, bloated feeling, sore boobs and nausea started.

We tried for 4 months, on the final sucessful month we just did it every other day instead of timing it with my ovulation schedule.

The firsrt three months I was figuring out when I was ovulating in various ways, but my advice to anyone trying would just be to just do it as much as possible through your cycle. Even though my periods were always regular, the 12 week scan showed that we actually concieved a week before I thought I was ovulating.

Good luck!

DittyRatt Mon 04-Mar-13 17:12:56

Hi I just found out a week ago I am pregnant with number 3, and the only symptoms I got before my positive pregnancy test and missed period were, heartburn and awful fatigue.

SuffolkNWhat Mon 04-Mar-13 17:22:30

Fatigue
Needing to pee
Sore boobs
Vomiting

Hai1988 Mon 04-Mar-13 18:28:50

I had needing a wee more often and dizzyness very early on

SeriousStuff Mon 04-Mar-13 18:35:34

My boobs were just in the way! They always get big and sore around AF (Aunty Flo=my period) but this was different. I remember lying on my side in bed and they were just in the way! I'm 8+4 weeks now, and they're still a nuisance and I'm having to wear a bra in bed!

Other than that it was the usual AF pains and irritability!

MrsBigBadBeck Mon 04-Mar-13 18:39:24

Wear a bra in bed? Ergh what we do for children smile I'm really looking forward to being pregnant, but the sickness bothers me hmm watch this space then!

HaveIThoughtThisThrough Wed 06-Mar-13 22:20:04

My first symptom were regular little burps (not out-loud thank goodness, just like little hiccoughs). I knew this was a symptom as I'd had regular burps in my previous pregnancy that sadly ended in mc. Also, I was convinced I was starting my period as I had light cramps and (sorry - tmi) at one stage I thought I had started but it was just increased discharge which I had also had as a symptom before.

MrsBigBadBeck Thu 07-Mar-13 12:57:56

I've never heard of that before! Sorry to hear of your mc. Hope future pregnancies go well for you smile

ButteryJam Thu 07-Mar-13 13:06:09

I was a week late, and only realised later about the symptoms which were feeling travel sick and dizzy after work.

Fatigue was the major one. Bleeding gums, I knew I was pregnant then.

tiredness, slightly sore boobs, period like cramping and I went off chocolate. (which is a massive thing for me!) I wanted dairy, especially milk and yogurt, and fruit. keep us posted! And welcome, we'll answer any abbv questions, and others, obvs!smile

WhirlingOut Thu 07-Mar-13 14:03:48

I found out I was pregnant because I had thrush. It was 2 days before my period was due and the pharmacist wouldn't sell me canesten in case I was pregnant (although the doctor will happily prescribe you it), so I bought a pregnancy test instead and there was the faintest of lines!

MrsBigBadBeck Thu 07-Mar-13 14:19:03

Wow! So many people manage to get pregnant so easily! Well I'm on my fifth pill free day, and haven't had a period yet but me and hubby DTD last Sunday but its probably nothinghmm I'm trying not to think about it too much otherwise knowing my luck it'll never happen!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now