Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

First time - is this really how it works?!!

(22 Posts)
Excited85 Sat 02-Mar-13 21:08:45

Hi,
I'm completely new to this, we found out I am pregnant last weekend and so booked a doctors apt online for Friday. Turned up yesterday to be told that I shouldn't have gone to the doctors, they instead gave us a number to call for an appointment.
We did this where they have made me a 'booking appointment' for the end of March. I'm just a little thrown by the very laid back nature of all this - is this normal?!!
We think I'm 8 weeks, have done 3 tests and have symptoms but were hoping the docs would confirm it. So now need to wait till I'm almost 12 weeks to hopefully get some sort of guidance about what to do and what happens in terms of appointments etc. They aren't doing a scan at this apt so when do I get my first scan? Would be great to have some reassurance as feel like I'm imagining my pregnancy at the moment!!!! Is it normal to go to 12 weeks without a single piece of advice from a professional??

SuffolkNWhat Sat 02-Mar-13 21:11:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CrackleMauve Sat 02-Mar-13 21:12:32

Do they know you think you're 8 weeks? Booking appointments are usually around then, so they can book a scan for 12 weeks. If they thought you were only just 4/5 weeks that might explain the late booking appt. Do follow up and check with them. They don't do anything to confirm your pregnancy at a booking appointment though, home pregnancy tests are the same as the one a doctor would use anyway so they just take our word for it.

Firstly, congratulations!

Yes I think it is fairly normal. I remember thinking the same thing, it seems like such a long time. I think it may have been a little earlier than 12 weeks for me though. I seem to remember the first scan needing to be between 10-13 weeks I think in order to get the measurements they needed.

Maybe you could go back t your doc and ask for a confirmation of pregnancy. I am pretty sure the home pregnancy tests are as good as doc testing though. But you could tell them your worries about dates.

In a 'normal' pregnancy you only have the 2 scans. Early dating one (as above) and 20 week gender scan.

catlady1 Sat 02-Mar-13 21:17:10

I thought this was odd too but it must just be the way it is. My booking appointment was at about 8 weeks though, did you tell them you thought you were about 8 weeks along? Or is your doctors very busy? Seems a bit odd that they'd make you wait until 12 weeks when normally they want to book you in for your first scan by around 12 weeks.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sat 02-Mar-13 21:17:14

You need to ring again and say that you think you are 8 weeks, otherwise you are going to miss the nuchal scan window.

starsthatshine Sat 02-Mar-13 21:18:45

The norm for me (both times) was a booking in appt around 10wks (form filling & booking the 12wk scan),then the scan around 12wks. As previous poster said,the tests you use are the same as the ones the Dr would use. It does feel strange doesn't it-i worried at my 1sr scan they'd say I had imagined it all (!). Make sure you're taking your folic acid. 1st time around I read Pregnancy & Birth by Kaz Cooke which I found a good but not overly detailed week by week read.

Excited85 Sat 02-Mar-13 21:21:39

Wow thanks for all the replies! It was actually the woman on the phone that made the booking apt who told me I was about 8 weeks based on my last period as she said 'how far along are you' and my response was along the lines of 'erm I don't know... How do you work it out?'!! Good to know home tests are fairly reliable then, guess I'm just surprised that you're left to your own devices so much when I clearly don't have a clue!!!

cakebaby Sat 02-Mar-13 21:39:47

Yep, in the UK they work out your due date as 40 weeks after the 1st day of your last period, but then it can be adjusted to a more accurate date at your 12 week scan. Mine was just 1 day out. I was surprised to discover that no one paid a blind bit of notice until my booking in appt! Guess although it's a massive deal for us, we're just another patient! Congratulations!

Rockchick1984 Sun 03-Mar-13 00:39:19

Don't worry about it being quite late - my local area don't do booking appt until 11 weeks then scan a week later - so long as you've told them as much as you can then that's fine. Nuchal test needs to be done before 14 weeks if you choose to have it (looking at risks of Down's Syndrome) so still plenty of time to arrange that. Congratulations smile

Lydia161290 Sun 03-Mar-13 00:43:02

Unfortunately it's very laid back! This is my first baby too and found out I was pregnant at 5-6 weeks. I didn't have my scan till I was 12 weeks pregnant and it wasn't properly confirmed until this scan.

I found it all very alarming at how I went to the doctors, got transferred to a clinic, had my booking appointment which was all computer and just taking my bloods/urine. They sent me on my way without confirming anything themselves.
Although I'd taken 3 pos tests, I was still unsure, thought they'd have me pee on some magic stick or something, lol! grin

I was freaking out for weeks. Am I pregnant, am I really? I tried to buy more pregnancy tests until I was told off by fiance.

It only becomes real once you see life on the screen at the dating scan. Guess it's good practice for patience! hmm

LadySnapcase Sun 03-Mar-13 11:08:28

Lydia, I could have wrote your post! I found out I was pregnant quite early (4 weeks) and had my first midwife appointment at around 5.5 weeks weeks; got the impression that they all felt this was a bit early but I felt a bit better about having spoken to someone. It does strike me as strange that you kind of get left to get on with it! I felt like a fraud, kept expecting someone to want proof that I was pregnant and when everyone just took my word for it I kept wanting to say don't trust me, I don't know what I'm talking about! I ended up getting an early scan at 8 weeks just to reassure myself I wasn't imagining it all...

Excited85 Sun 03-Mar-13 12:00:20

Haha you both sound just like me!! I don't want to tell anyone until I'm sure but I guess this is as sure as I'm going to be for a while. And I guess the sore boobs and sickness kind of give me reassurance!!
Thank goodness for the Internet, now busy trying to google what I should be doing in terms of foods to avoid and vitamins to take - what did people do before this?!

Patchouli Sun 03-Mar-13 12:06:04

I guess before the internet your extended family/tribe would guide you.
Now there's Mumsnet smile

Congratulations

Essexgirlupnorth Sun 03-Mar-13 12:19:13

Went to see my GP about 6 weeks to tell her I was pregnant and then she told me make an appointment to see the midwife. That appointment was just filling in the form to refer me to the hospital and she gave me some leaflets about screening and what to eat ect. Had my booking appointment on Wednesday at 10 weeks. Should get my scan appointment through the post for about 12 weeks.
Doctor asked if I had a positive pregnancy test (I had done 4 by that point) but didn't confirm it. Hope I am not to early for my scan as think I am a week or so behind what they think I am from the implantation bleed I had and got a BFP quite late but will see what scan says.

That wasn't my experience. I saw a midwife at 6 weeks, she then did a home visit at 7 weeks and collected all the paper work I had to fill in. I had a letter through the post when I was 10 weeks confirming the date for my 12 week scan. I also had to see a consultant because of gall stones and I saw him at 10 weeks. I was very pleased with my ante natal care.

LadySnapcase Sun 03-Mar-13 15:08:28

I wouldn't say I'm particularly displeased by my care, more just bemused at the whole thing! I do wish it was easier to contact my midwife, we have to phone between 8.30 and 9.30 on a morning or leave a voicemail for them to get back to you, but of the four times I've rang them twice they haven't rang me back. Otherwise I'm happy with what I've got; scans have been arranged at the right times, have a friendly and knowledgeable consultant involved and the midwife I've been seeing so far (not mine, apparently, as she's on the sick) has been lovely and very reassuring. Am well aware it could be worse!

Samvet Sun 03-Mar-13 15:11:12

Wait until you have your second or third! They are even less interested and appts very infrequent!

Samvet Sun 03-Mar-13 15:11:46

Ps sign up for nhs weekly pregnancy emails as they can be informative if you are worried.

Szeli Sun 03-Mar-13 15:22:40

I was 18 weeks when I found out and even then it took 4 weeks before I had a scan! Apparently that was rushed thru too!

Really thought they'd be more 'hands on' but you can tell the service is severely stretched

xx

Floweryhat Sun 03-Mar-13 15:33:00

Vitamin d and folic acid are what you need. The supermarkets sell cheap folic acid. Holland and Barrett have cheap v tiny bit D3 tablets.

Congratulations!

BentleyBelly Wed 06-Mar-13 22:10:32

Congratulations!

In my experience they are really quite hands off unless you need them. I found out I was pregnant at Christmas and went to the docs in January at about 6 weeks. She referred to the midwives who called me at about 10 weeks to arrange a scan and then I got another call at about 11 weeks from my actual midwife to arrange a booking in appointment. I had my scan at 13 weeks and then saw the midwife for the first time 4 days later. I was expecting a bit more contact but it was wasn't really necessary. I was very relieved at the scan to find out I was definately pregnant as everyone had just taken my word for it up till then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now