Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Snacks I can keep in my desk

(23 Posts)
knittingirl Fri 01-Mar-13 10:44:07

I get very hungry... smile particularly during the morning, I really need to have a decent snack or I'll start to feel really awful. However, most of the snacks I've been having have been the type of stuff people bring into the office - cake, chocolate, crisps etc. I'd like to be a bit healthier - does anyone have ideas for healthier snacks that I can keep in my desk, so I can be stocked up at all times smile

Scroobius Fri 01-Mar-13 10:49:32

I got Graze boxes delivered so I had those and bananas are always good for filling you up. Can't help other than that though, I was perfectly happy eating the crisps and chocolate!

ButteryJam Fri 01-Mar-13 10:51:23

Graze boxes are great, but I'd probably finish them in a day!

How about easy to eat fruit like grapes? Or nuts? Or dates to much on? Dried fruit like apricots, dried mangoes?

SoHHKB Fri 01-Mar-13 10:52:12

Jacobs crackers! smile

emeraldgirl1 Fri 01-Mar-13 11:08:47

9 Bars are yummy (taste like choc-topped flapjacks) but pretty healthy as they are actually carob-topped and relatively low in sugar compared to other cereal bars. Good alternative to a mid-morning biccie or three two.

Dried fruit also a good option as others have said.

mackerella Fri 01-Mar-13 11:20:32

Do you have a sweet tooth or a savoury one? In my desk drawer right now, I have: a box of oatcakes (good because you get 6 of them wrapped individually, so you don't have to eat the whole box at once before they all go soggy), a packet of dried figs (to, er, keep things moving in the first trimester blush), a multipack of orange juice cartons (to increase iron absorption at lunchtime), a jar of instant hot chocolate, a couple of apples and a Nakd bar. That seems to cover all eventualities, although I'd also welcome ideas for more savoury snacks, as I don't really have such a sweet tooth!

GeordieCherry Fri 01-Mar-13 11:21:42

Nakd bars here too smile

GuffSmuggler Fri 01-Mar-13 11:32:31

Trackers! I can't stop eating them.

knittingirl Fri 01-Mar-13 11:36:04

I'm writing all of these down - will go shopping tomorrow to stock up!

Normally I have more of a savoury tooth, though pg seems to be playing with that too!

emeraldgirl1 Fri 01-Mar-13 11:49:48

Oooh, yes, Nakd bars are great!

Msbluesky32 Fri 01-Mar-13 12:21:55

Nuts and dried fruit
Oat cakes (they do snack packs of two now- they are really nice)
Rice cakes - I had the slightly salted ones as they helped my sickness
Oat so simple pots (for my second breakfast... smile)
9 bars
Bananas

mrshen1 Fri 01-Mar-13 12:53:54

Hello there, I'm also hungry most of the time and eat every 2 hours or so! Although once I've had lunch I usually settle for a few hours. I keep a lot of food with me and feel a bit like a snail carrying the fridge everywhere!! cereal bars are ok for me but always seem a bit dry. At the moment my snacks are bananas, kiwis, sliced mango, apple, ambrosia custard pots, yoghurts, emergency choc bar, sandwiches sliced into very thin soldiers so I can sneak them in! juice, water, creme caramels, and protein often keeps me going if feeling bit low so babybels, dairylea dunkers or chunk of cheese, even the odd boiled egg or pork pie smile I probably sound very strange but it works!! xxx

DeathMetalMum Fri 01-Mar-13 13:26:07

Dried apricots - I love dried apricots, they help keeping bowels moving too also a great snack to keep by the side of the bed for night feeds when baby is born :-) .

StuckOnARollercoaster Fri 01-Mar-13 13:49:28

packets of mixed nuts and raisins
cherry tomatoes
grapes
brown bread peanut butter sandwiches, cut up into bite sized chunks
cucumber/celery sticks and houmus

those were what I thought of as my healthy snacks - I would also sneak in the odd chocolate bar, bag of crisps and cake though smile - sometimes you need a sugar rush!

knittingirl Fri 01-Mar-13 15:48:12

Ooh there is a fridge in the office so I could keep babybels in there, thanks mrshen I hadn't thought of that!

Haha Stuck I'm with you on the occasional need for a sugar hit, there is a vending machine located suitably close to my desk...

marushka82 Fri 01-Mar-13 15:52:39

I second graze boxes!
I've also got oat cakes (the cheese ones are so yummy), rice cakes (they have a chocolate covered variety - they are delish!), greek yoghurt with fruit and honey, any sort of cereal bars, popchips (really good and much healthier than normal crisps) or wholegrain baked crisps (the name escapes me now!)
Plus clementines and bananas.
Not all at once of course but I tend to rotate between these choices. I also love pots of edamame beans in their pods (from Waitrose) - so yum and a good source of protein!
I just made myself hungry, lol!

Wolfiefan Fri 01-Mar-13 15:56:57

Nakd bars
Oat cakes
Rice cakes
Dried fruit (Nakd do flavoured raisins including cola!)

Spookey80 Fri 01-Mar-13 15:59:58

Malt loaf, I take two pieces sandwiched together with butter for a mid morn snack at work. I also always have nuts and dried fruit to hand.

If it is for your desk drawer stick to things that don't need refrigerated as now is not the time to poison yourself, and no hard boiled eggs! Anyone who brings hard boiled eggs into the work place should be sacked on the spot wink
I'd also recommend keeping everything in a sealed box/tin. It might sound a bit OTT, but there was a mouse problem in my last office (fleet street, posh, modern, so generally well maintained and properly cleaned) because people started keeping boxes of cereal and packets of biscuits in their desks. Building maintenance poisoned the mice, which resulted in a maggot problem!!!! You couldn't make it up....

MechanicalTheatre Fri 01-Mar-13 16:09:49

I got some really small tupperwares from Asda and fill them up with nuts and dried fruit. My favourite at the moment is Waitrose nuts, cherries and sultanas, it's lovely (and expensive.)

CitizenOscar Mon 04-Mar-13 22:58:29

Dried apricots
Cereal bars
Microwave popcorn (or normal popcorn - I just get microwave stuff in my graze box and it takes up less room in my desk)
Dried edamame or seeds

Just don't buy too much of any one thing as I found I went off stuff after a while and if I had loads it was wasted.

FamiliesShareGerms Mon 04-Mar-13 23:03:23

Marks and Spencers do a lovely seed and nut mix (no peanuts, I don't think) that is the only thing of that sort I've found to be actually filling

Waitrose used to do reduced fat stem ginger cookies - perfect for pregnancy nausea

I used to have fun sized Mars bars stashed away for when i really really needed sugar. And rice cakes for when I was hungry but didn't want to eat too much (because they're not really that nice, are they?!)

PixieBaby Wed 06-Mar-13 22:53:27

Brazil nuts are great and really nutritious. You can also buy those snack size tins of tuna in the supermarket. I find protein more filling than dried fruit, which just gives a big sugar spike. Oats cakes and Soreen also handy for the desk drawer.

Graze boxes are excellent and lots of variety/ choices. Happy snacking!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now