Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

feeding supplies needed for after baby's born

(16 Posts)
MammaCici Fri 01-Mar-13 23:26:14

It's very unusual for a mum not to be able to breastfeed. It's much more common for mum's to wrongly believe they can't. If you truly want to bf then borrow/buy a book or two and read up. Once you have the right mindset you will be able to do it. I don't think buying formula / bottles is a good idea. I didn't buy a bottle until DS was 6 months old and even then it was used to feed him breastmilk I had pumped. Formula will give your baby the basic nutrition needed but none of the antibodies and special bonding that comes with breastfeeding. I am so glad I committed myself to breastfeeding. It was hard work at first but from about 12 weeks on it is much much easier than bottle feeding. Learning to bf lying down is a godsend. It's so relaxing to lie side by side and allow your LO to nurse away. No need to get out of bed to get a bottle!

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Fri 01-Mar-13 10:22:45

I'm 34 weeks with dc2. I BF dc1 for 7 months and plan to BF again this time. I have bought 2 packets of ready made aptimil (yes you can go out and buy it at 3am but let's face it, who'd want to), 2 bottles and a breast pump. Already have an electric steriliser. Even if you don't need any formula (I didn't last time and would hope for the same again) you'll almost certainly use the pump and bottles to express later on.

Go to some breastfeeding classes before baby comes, look at latch on you tube, learn as much as you can. The vast majority of women can bf with support.

It's just that for me, I'm more relaxed knowing there is the formula option there for 3am. Do whatever works for you. Don't take any into hospital though, they'll have it available if you need it.

TwitchyTail Fri 01-Mar-13 09:19:19

I wouldn't buy anything (especially if you have a partner/friend who can nip out and get whatever you need at the time), but would read up on the basics of formula feeding and know what to get/where to get it from just in case. My baby needed formula top-ups, though this was supplied by the hospital. Hadn't a clue myself as I had assumed I would just breastfeed, which made things a bit more stressful.

Kafri Fri 01-Mar-13 00:58:49

dogsmom u need to check hosp facilities. mine had bo access to a kettle to boil water but they did provide those ready made bottles with the screw on sterile one use teats. I just had to nip to nurses station to grab them as and when.

OP if you're wanting to bf then don't buy any ff stuff. its readily available if you do change your mind but if bf works out you can spend that money on other things for bubs. I wanted to ff and just bought bare minimum so I could work out what i actually needed later. also ended up changing bottles due to colic so I was glad i didn't buy loads. now I've found bottles that suit ds, I've stocked up. even formula can be difficult to buy in bulk as you don't know which will suit your child. ds has ended up on pepti which is prescribed anyway.

bshorty Thu 28-Feb-13 18:27:23

Thanks everyone for your advice. Love mumsnet :-)

Bumbolina Thu 28-Feb-13 18:09:11

If you hope to breastfeed I would not worry about buying formula. The advice above is excellent, rather than preparing by buying formula - I would prepare by making a note on your phone of who to contact in the hospital, and when at home for breastfeeding support. Especially 24 hour services (it is the middle of the night where doubt creeps in about supply and whether baby is getting enough).

Shops are open 24 hours. It is easily accessible enough if you decide that formula feeding is the way forward for you and your baby. However, with the correct support you 'should' be able to breastfeed if that is your wish.

MadameJosephine Thu 28-Feb-13 18:04:23

*Premade bottles

MadameJosephine Thu 28-Feb-13 18:03:45

dogsmom I would check with your midwife if they have facilities for making up bottles in the hospital. Ours does not so we recommend women bring cartons of ready made formula or those little premise bottles you can buy

Dogsmom Thu 28-Feb-13 17:59:40

I'm going to bottle feed so am taking a tin of formula and I'll sterilise a couple of bottles before I go in, they will stay sterile for 24 hours.

The midwife said that my hospital does provide milk and I assume bottles but I'd like my own so I can prepare and use them when I want and not risk a delay if the midwives are busy.

Fairypants Thu 28-Feb-13 17:21:47

If bfing isn't working, it's usually a case of not being completely right rather than there is nothing and baby is starving from birth. There will be time and/or midwife support if necessary so I'd just work on the basis that you will bf and get lots of breast pads!!

christinarossetti Thu 28-Feb-13 17:19:03

Stick a couple of savoy cabbages in the fridge when your due date is imminent. A cabbage leaf down your bra is amazing relief for hot, swollen breasts.

IcouldstillbeJoseph Thu 28-Feb-13 17:18:00

Good, even

IcouldstillbeJoseph Thu 28-Feb-13 17:17:44

Unless it is a "baby friendly" unit where u give birth, they should supply formula abd bottles while you are with them, should you choose not to BF. Goo luck

stargirl1701 Thu 28-Feb-13 17:15:53

I would say no, don't take or buy formula/bottles.

I would highly recommend reading 'The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding' before you give birth.

I would buy Lansinoh nipple cream, breast pads, hydrogel pads (stick them in the freezer) and maybe some nipple shields.

forevergreek Thu 28-Feb-13 17:14:30

I wouldn't. The 'average' women takes 2-3 days to produce milk anyway ( just colostrum at birth. So most you won't know that you 'can't' until your probably home anyway

bshorty Thu 28-Feb-13 17:12:16

Hello. I'm 25+3 and trying to get organised as a first timer. Have started buying things to take in to hosp when labour comes and wondered what I will need for feeding baby. I am hoping to breast feed but I'm fully aware that its not easy so should I be taking some formula and bottles with me just incase baby's not able to breastfeed? Any comments or advice will be much appreciated, thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now